General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

removed a car clamp, what do i do next?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Some epic replies on this thread!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt worry mate my boss is a trader, few untaxed cars parked here and there, i seem to valet quite a few that come f.o.c with a clamp in the boot
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Could always phone the clamper and tell him he can have his clamp back if he pays your release fee of £100
Afpmsl!! That's brilliant.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Crowder
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

innocent till proven guilty cut it off and weigh it in. deny all knowledge could be a cloned car or nicked before u got there :P
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
crash_ash
Part of the Furniture

would the argument that you never knowingly entered into an agreement with them to allow them to clamp you if you violated the parking restrictions; work?
Say english is your second language and you didn't understand the signs, get the old metabo out and f**k it!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
billynocar
Part of the Furniture

there like scum just robbing people because the law is on there side

had a baileif get funny with my wife over a dodgy parking fine

so when he came back i was at home with a half dozen mates

proberly the last time he hassled anybody

would just remove it the clamp that is and give them it back with a note saying not to bother trying it again
Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

we went on a nite out,went to pick the car up in the morning to find it was clamped,nipped home,got my petrol stihl saw and alled in at B&Q on the way back,baught an identical padlock for about £6,we cut the lock off,removed the clamp,backed the car out,relocked the clamp with the new padlock,left the key in the lock and rang the bloke up,we asked him why he left the key in the lock?he said he didnt and had watched what we had done but as he was so impressed by our initiative he was taking it no further.

result.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

i'd keep the clamp in the boot and just re-clamp your own car when ever you feel the need for a bit of illegal parking - but with your own lock !
Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
bortaf

I tell ya those pikies will weigh in anything, we've had fences cut down and even a slide pinched from the playground
Now i see they are cutting off wheel clamps and weighing them in as well
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
cossie-nutter
Turbo-Nutters.co.uk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing hapend to me but i kept the clamp and told them to get bent! Nothing ever hapend as there not aloud your details unless its the police or government clampers! Private firms can't do jack!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
cossie-nutter
Turbo-Nutters.co.uk

Originally Posted by TiB
I'd tell your friend to weigh it in
Best idea yet!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
rsvan

ive never scene a clamper that would buy any of it.........

just make sure when your mate drops off the clamp (with the blinding excuse)
that they dont lock the door behind him and give him a good talking to!!!!!

ive worked with clampers before and i a word (animals)

best of luck, and im behind your mate on this one

but id have binned it and said i knew nothing
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

Originally Posted by ram
a friend of mine who happens to look just like me, and drive the same car......was clamped by a private firm for parking on private property last night.
Who's private property is it ?

I take it the owner of this land pays for the clamping firm to come round ?

Is there signs mentioning clamping ?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

JB - Quality story
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Don't trust guys on an internet forum but get some professional help!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=238616595
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Don't trust guys on an internet forum but get some professional help!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=238616595

AFPMSL @ That link
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pmsl at that link
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
christianh3

lol @ TF Rallyesport lolol!!!

Markk, i know that some traffic wardens in my area will put an empty parking ticket thingy on their own cars if they're illegally parked... so it looks to another warden theyve already been ticketed.... i know this cos i used to know a warden quite well he let me in on a couple of tricks lol ive used it once or twice but wouldnt now.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Mattfletcher
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by ram
a friend of mine who happens to look just like me, and drive the same car......was clamped by a private firm for parking on private property last night. went back in the morning to pay the £100 release charge and found a note on window from clamper saying 'sorry but due to unforseen circumstances i wont be around today to release your car, will be around from 10.30 (didnt say am or pm) tommorow (7th).

so the fact that my friend has to be at work tommorow morning at 7.30am and couldnt get in contact with the clamper, was rather unhappy. so decided to cut the clamp triangle off with a hacksaw (the triangle isnt toughned steel unlike the chain).
hes now going to weld it back together and make it look like it was never damaged..go to the clamping office and drop the clamp off as it was when it was left.

so my question is....
seeing as they charge £100 to release the clamp, but never actually had to release it. and will be getting there clamp back undamaged. will my friend legally get away without paying the fine?

also the fact this happened on private property and nothing will seem tampered with, technicaly there are no laws broken in the end? my friend is going to say he popped his drive shaft out in order to get the clamp off lol.

hope this makes sense and i can recieve some advice for my friend, thanks!

Id take the clamp back to the car park, lock it to the railings with a note to the clamper saying something like: "sorry but due to unforseen circumstances I will not be around to release your clamp till the 12th...............of never. You can contact for further information on......(then put in a false phone number)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

Originally Posted by XRT_si
JB - Quality story
Cheers mate !

jb
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ram
cheers for all the replies guys. as much as id love to get rid of it now. think im just gonna leave it in my garage and see what happens. just abit worried i was seen by people in the office opposite cutting it off (had my car door open and tunes on so was clearly the owner of the car lol) they were an official company, (they had signs up where i parked). if i dont hear anything for ages then il just weigh it in and be done with it. but if i hear from them then il weld it back together and drop it off at the cop shop and let the cunts know its there and undamaged
surely your mate has now logged into your account and started replying as himself
Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by indycos
surely your mate has now logged into your account and started replying as himself
yeh hes never respected my privacy, he got my password and started using my account
Old 11-07-2008, 07:37 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

cut it up and leave the bits where your car was. tell them to go fuck themselves if they contact you.keep it simple.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:41 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

deny all knowledge of the clamping having taken place

then either sell the car or get the plates changed over to stop any further repercusions if they decide they want to play funny fuckers with you

alternativly, stick their phone number into the local rag with "puppies for sale, reputable breeder, come and get them for half price in the sale" or some such stuff and they'll be too busy answering the phoens to get clamping
Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 PM
geoffxr4

i think if it was me i'd just deny all knowledge. How can they prove that you took the clamp off and weighed it in? If you give it back to them then you're basically admitting it and inviting them to examine the criminal damage...

They must lose clamps all the time but it wont be cost effective for them to pursue it without evidence i'd have thought. Tossers
Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I cut one off in a college car park and left it for them. They knew who I was and said they would report me to the police for criminal damage. I think the police told them they wouldn't take any action cos I never heard anything.

Well done by the way. Private clamping is extortion.

Charlie
Old 12-07-2008, 03:09 PM
ram
Has a large member

Originally Posted by dojj
deny all knowledge of the clamping having taken place

then either sell the car or get the plates changed over to stop any further repercusions if they decide they want to play funny fuckers with you

alternativly, stick their phone number into the local rag with "puppies for sale, reputable breeder, come and get them for half price in the sale" or some such stuff and they'll be too busy answering the phoens to get clamping
i think changing plates/selling the car is abit extreme dont you? lol. i didnt rob a bank with the car!

cheers for the replies guys, think denying it seems the best way out if they persue
Old 22-08-2008, 09:20 AM
ram
Has a large member

for those that remember this thread..

just thought id mention its been a month and a half and ive not heard anything from clampers..

Old 22-08-2008, 09:22 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
I'd throw the clamp and do one.
Precisely, what are they going to do about it?????
Just make sure you don't park there again.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

take your car back to where it was, put it up on bricks and give them a call, lol
Old 22-08-2008, 10:41 AM
morcheen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i heard a great story about someone who got clamped,he took it off,and brought it home,a few weeks later he seen a van pull up at his house,which had a long drive up to the front door,while the clampers were taking their time to get to his door,he went down to where they were parked and put up a sign saying 'anyone parked here will be clamped' he then clamped them too. he went back in and answered the door to them,he paid the fine and waited,they came back shouting and swearing,they then called the police,they arrived and told the clampers they had to pay the fine,as the sign was in clear view when they parked.they had to pay him back the same amount.nice touch
Old 22-08-2008, 10:48 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by morcheen
i heard a great story about someone who got clamped,he took it off,and brought it home,a few weeks later he seen a van pull up at his house,which had a long drive up to the front door,while the clampers were taking their time to get to his door,he went down to where they were parked and put up a sign saying 'anyone parked here will be clamped' he then clamped them too. he went back in and answered the door to them,he paid the fine and waited,they came back shouting and swearing,they then called the police,they arrived and told the clampers they had to pay the fine,as the sign was in clear view when they parked.they had to pay him back the same amount.nice touch

nice story... but how long did they take to get to this guys house?? enough time for him to get a clamp, rundown the drive, put a sign up, clamp the vehicle, run back then open the front door... fook me they must have been slow...

could you just weld it back up then go and clamp one of their vehicles then bombard the lock mech with araldite/superglue... technically not you doing the damage?
Old 22-08-2008, 10:51 AM
richard_syko

Lock it to the lampost leaving a note you left the country until next week, then give a release fee.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:00 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

How about all these 'friends' don't park where they shouldn't in the first place

Z
Old 22-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

The letter of the law actually states that placing a wheel-clamp on someone else’s vehicle, is technically trespass upon their property. This is what you would expect. If anyone else were to disable somebody’s car and hold it to ransom, as a means of extorting money from it’s owner, then that person would spend the night in a Police cell!

Police officers are frequently called to deal with disputes between motorists and private contractors after a vehicle has been wheel clamped after parking without permission on private land. The main concern of an officer called to such an incident will be to stop a breach of the peace, as this is usually a civil matter, not a police matter. If there are adequate signs clearly displayed on the land saying that vehicles parked without consent will be clamped, and stating the fee required for the clamp to be removed, the act of clamping will probably be lawful.

In this situation any damage caused to the clamp by trying to remove it may mean the person is liable in civil law for any damage. Depending on the circumstances, it may also mean he/she has committed an offence of criminal damage. Any removal of the clamp in a situation where signs are adequately displayed may amount to theft. If clamping has taken place on a piece of land where signs are not clearly displayed the act of clamping a vehicle may be unlawful, leaving the clamping company liable in civil law.

The officer attending a wheel clamping will not become involved in any arguments about payment or non-payment of an unclamping fee. He or she will simply make a note of the circumstances and any allegations which are made.

it is legal to remove a clamp oneself, provided that he does not damage it and returns it to the police station.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:10 AM
richard_syko

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
The letter of the law actually states that placing a wheel-clamp on someone else’s vehicle, is technically trespass upon their property. This is what you would expect. If anyone else were to disable somebody’s car and hold it to ransom, as a means of extorting money from it’s owner, then that person would spend the night in a Police cell!

Police officers are frequently called to deal with disputes between motorists and private contractors after a vehicle has been wheel clamped after parking without permission on private land. The main concern of an officer called to such an incident will be to stop a breach of the peace, as this is usually a civil matter, not a police matter. If there are adequate signs clearly displayed on the land saying that vehicles parked without consent will be clamped, and stating the fee required for the clamp to be removed, the act of clamping will probably be lawful.

In this situation any damage caused to the clamp by trying to remove it may mean the person is liable in civil law for any damage. Depending on the circumstances, it may also mean he/she has committed an offence of criminal damage. Any removal of the clamp in a situation where signs are adequately displayed may amount to theft. If clamping has taken place on a piece of land where signs are not clearly displayed the act of clamping a vehicle may be unlawful, leaving the clamping company liable in civil law.

The officer attending a wheel clamping will not become involved in any arguments about payment or non-payment of an unclamping fee. He or she will simply make a note of the circumstances and any allegations which are made.

it is legal to remove a clamp oneself, provided that he does not damage it and returns it to the police station.
On a serious note where did you get that infomation from?

Rich.
Old 22-08-2008, 01:53 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

one of our vans got clamped last friday
£75 release fee too
but there were signs a plenty about the place, litteraly they were like everywhere, on every post and on all the walls in big yellow signposts so it was a bit difficult to miss them

plus they were the councils own clamping firm and the recipt i got listed the sia numbers and all sorts so it was fully legit

we've got our money back as the same council that clamped us also funds the stuff we were dilivering so even though it was a pain in the arse it's sorted

i did try and drive away after letting some air out of the tyres, but the clamp chain had gone around the driveshaft so even though the clamp would have come off, it would have still be dangling in the road
Old 22-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I fuckin hate them clamping cunts!!!!

Quick Reply: removed a car clamp, what do i do next?!