General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Claying a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 PM
RS Bowk
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claying a car?

I want to give it a go what do i need? can i do it wrong? and where is the cheapest and most local place i can by the clay from?

Any tips?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
fatboyz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive done it a few times now use meguires quick clay and the cheapist place ive found is flea bay just keep it wet with the spray there is a site that may help you called detailing world.com i think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=015
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatboyz
ive done it a few times now use meguires quick clay and the cheapist place ive found is flea bay just keep it wet with the spray there is a site that may help you called detailing world.com i think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=015

My missus uses this stuff to great effect on her RS1800

Mequires is the thing.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the megs stuff is a good clay and isnt very harsh so wont cause marring etc.

should come with the clay and a lube.

only use abit of clay at a time and fold it over when it starts to discolour.

If you drop it, throw it away
Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
RS Bowk

What do you do then break it off the block and use a little bit? I was under the impression you used it whole?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 AM
jock05
Regular Contributor

Cut the block into 3 or 4 chunks. Knead the clay so that it's soft. Lube the car and rub the clay over the wet area. If the clay drags then use more lube. Wipe the panel and the paint should be smooth. Bilt Hamber do Auto Clay which can be used with water as a lube.
Once the clay is comtaminated, knead it again so that there a clean part. If you dop it, throw it away (which is why you don't use the whole block).
Remember to clay the car after washing it.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I clayed my Integra last weekend with the Meguiars kit and fook me what a difference!!! I did polish it after with some badboy Jeffs Workstat stuff which finished it off even nicer. Also clayed the missus fiat seicento thing, she hasnt cleaned it for about a year and she also parks the car at work near a welding factory so it was covered it shite. Wash, clay and polish with normal Megs polish and its like new now!!!!! Deffo worth the time and effort doing it.

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as said above. all is good the guys on this site are very helpful. www.detailingworld.co.uk
you can use it on all the glass etc also, and i keep washing it in a bowl of warm water, it keeps it supple.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what does clay actually do? is it just for removing stuff like tar and crap in the paint work? can it remove swirls aswell or do you need to polish for that?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

What a coincidence!!

I had my car buffed clayed and waxed this weekend by a mate of mine as a pre-fordfair clean type of thing!

1st pic

2nd pic of the bonnet

tfr'd my wheels etc and the above pics where just before I started on the wheel dressings!!

just got the inside and the rest of the engine to do now
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by VW_08
what does clay actually do? is it just for removing stuff like tar and crap in the paint work? can it remove swirls aswell or do you need to polish for that?
the basic principal as i understand it (as a keen amateur) is it removes oxidants from the surface of the paint, tar, fallout and traces of other contaminents that washing cant get toas they're bonded to the suirface(clearcoat) of the paint. this leaves a better surface for the polish to "work" with and overall then gt a better finish.

it wont remove swirls no. you'll probably have to machine polish it for that. autoglymn super resin polish (srp) is full of fillers and will do a pretty good job of masking them short term though. i really dont recommend you go at it straight away with a machine polisher though. it'd be like taking your driving test on a rally stage you can do ALOT of damage with it.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by orionmojo
the basic principal as i understand it (as a keen amateur) is it removes oxidants from the surface of the paint, tar, fallout and traces of other contaminents that washing cant get toas they're bonded to the suirface(clearcoat) of the paint. this leaves a better surface for the polish to "work" with and overall then gt a better finish.

it wont remove swirls no. you'll probably have to machine polish it for that. autoglymn super resin polish (srp) is full of fillers and will do a pretty good job of masking them short term though. i really dont recommend you go at it straight away with a machine polisher though. it'd be like taking your driving test on a rally stage you can do ALOT of damage with it.

Pretty much spot on
Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

at work we use bluetack and soapy water to remove overspray and shit that gets on them it seems to work a treat, just use lots of soap and keep turning the block and as above throw it if you drop it
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm i dont think ill bother then, apparently german cars (like mine) are harder to do aswell?

im doooomed before i start
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
RS Bowk

Ok ive now done my car and i must say this is the best thing ive ever done to my paint.

I dont like the hard work of cleaning a car but like to have it clean (if that makes sense)

This was effortless and was a great finish.

I now have a few questions tho.

1: can i keep the clay and use it again on other cars?
2: I used all the detailing spray provided, is there something else i can use? that is just as good but cheaper than buying a complete kit again. Is it just thined down polish?

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
jock05
Regular Contributor

If the clay is still fairly clean when you knead it, then yes you can use it again. As for lube either try a quick detailer or a shampoo and water mix.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 PM
volcomstone411
Regular Contributor

its pretty simple to use, but try and clean the car as best as posible first, cos you dont wanna drag along a small rock