General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Stuttering when cruising

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuttering when cruising

an annoying problem with the car has re-appeared!

it did it a few weeks after a bought it, then seemed to dissapear, now its come back again

happens after i been cruising on the motorway for about 45mins... itll stutter like a mofo, as if its getting starved of spark or fuel, its like a car hitting overboost kinda thing, as if i've lifted off completely

it'll do a quick jerk or two, then return how it was..

only happens under light throttle... its fine when nailing it...

out of co-incidence i swapped the Airflow meter thismorning for another one (that was in much better nick that my old one!) this made no difference.

any ideas what else could cause something like this?

i was thinking possibly wiring crap to ECU, broken contact or summink, but then i wouldnt think that'd only show up under light load after a long drive, surely it's be permanemt problem...

was thinking aybe TPS, but last time this happened i bunged a multimeter over it to test it and it was perfectly smooth all the way from 0% to 100%... can you get intermitent problems with TPSes? is it possible to inspect them or clean them? (not gonna keep replacing things till i find it... too expensive, would rather diagnose 1st) could shitty gummed up spark plugs caus something like this? its still got the nitrous-spec plugs in there, which arent the correct spec, and theyre probably a bit fouled too (not checked tho) i assume i shouldput my new standard ones in anyhow...

anyway, any ideas please... fire em at me its erally pissin me off, happened 2 night running now! if i cant sort it myself its not a major issue, as im goin up to MSD at the end of the month anyway... just thought there might be some simple/obvious things to check that i've missed...
Old 31-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Post subject: Stuttering when cruising
Have you been to see a speach therapist?
Old 31-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

cruising did you not get my text! lol!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:44 AM
SeanT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Lambdas, either the sensors or wiring mate.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Just to add, there appears to be no smoke comming from the car when it does it too!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

sean would that cause such a violent studder tho? i did think that maybe that was related, but then thought that whatever reading the ECU is getting from em it wouldnt be doing much with so wouldnt cause sucha violent studder? (i'm making assumptions mind you)

altho that does sound like a point... maybe theyre overheating/whatever after a long cruise and showing up faults

and rolls, that WAS a cruising steady!... we kept it under 120 most of the way...

was fookin funny shooting past that beemer tho... was was off the clock approaching the revlimit v. quickly

oh, and at the roundabout, did both wheels spin, or just one? lol
Old 01-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

PMSL @ mr bmw! - gave me a right dirst look on the bridge! - don't spose he liked being passed at that kinda speed lol! - was off the clock, but reading what i text ya on the angel lol!

as for the roundabout- you left 2 nice black lines buddy! lol!