General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Downforce - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2008, 05:24 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

normal and followed up by a masters
or whatever they have decided to call it now

i'll ask him over the weekend to give a basic answer without going into the detailed details of the main question, "when does the smooth undertray come into affect" and see what he says

if he decides it's going to be a long and rambling subject then i'll ask him to write up up for me

if it's a simple one that can be worked from a set of numbers then i'm sure he'll come up with them too
Old 20-06-2008, 05:28 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by joffy
i agree with what your saying but not the effect it will have on the body in question, if the smooth bits are extra smooth and the rough bits create turbulence then the speed difference between them will be greater, if you refer this back to the diagram above, this means the car/plane will have a greater aerodynamic influence, but ot say you need the top of the car to 'create drag' is wrong. every moving thing unless in a vacumn 'creates drag'. but that is one thing that designers and engineers will try to lower as whatever the body it will always slow you down and not neccessarily give you any advantage ie downforce
look at a plane wing when it goes through some cloud and it leaves trails behind that swirl away
when the air is displaced the air that's been moved out of the way has to go somewhere
and this air should not affect other parts of the car

i remember watching a program about the 60's cars being described as aerodynamic because the tails were sloped away as well as the fronts, but this wasn't as effect as they thought it would be as the rear ends got all light and floaty
the oppositte to one of the lambos that got light and floaty at the front after a certain speed

as i've said, i'll ask him and see what he says hopefully he will provide some bofin type answers that will only serve to confuse us even more
Old 20-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Kverna
Virgin-popper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
nonsense dojj.

kverna, congratulations. you've just posted a picture of a car acting like a plane's wing and giving lift, the opposite of downforce
Hehe just showed the basic "windeffect" with some pics from google, I didn't(or didn't mean to) give you the wrong impression
Old 20-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojj
normal and followed up by a masters
or whatever they have decided to call it now

i'll ask him over the weekend to give a basic answer without going into the detailed details of the main question, "when does the smooth undertray come into affect" and see what he says

if he decides it's going to be a long and rambling subject then i'll ask him to write up up for me

if it's a simple one that can be worked from a set of numbers then i'm sure he'll come up with them too

Dojj, would appreciate that many thanks.
Although if it seems to be that far fetched or perhaps too informative without giving proof, I will need to see some proof of qulifications from him
Old 20-06-2008, 08:58 PM
dojj

he went to brunel uni in "west london" and did a lot of building of his "own" car do test around silverstone on a yearly basis so i'm sure he's on the net somewhere
Old 20-06-2008, 09:43 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
he went to brunel uni in "west london"
me too, 1991 to 1995
Old 21-06-2008, 07:53 AM
legend289
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luke, try getting a copy of Competition Car Aerodynamics by Simon Mcbeath. It`s published by Haynes and is very good. If you want, I`ll bring my copy for you to have a look at next time i make it to one of your HRSOC meets. Rob`s car should be done by then too....
Old 21-06-2008, 08:08 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
me too, 1991 to 1995
he was born in 83/84 (can't remember) and has been out for about 2 or 3 years now
he was part of their team that designed a car to run on alternative fuels of something and the uni paid for a day here and there at silverstone to make sure things were working properly (god knows how much that cost : but they won whatever they were entered into 2 years and came second 1 year

he did the designing and driving bit while other boffins did other nerdy stuff, but, as with all young lads, he's out more than he's in so i get a lot of stuff from his dad as to where he's been, what he's bought, what he's driving now (mustang 500 apparently on order) and that sort of stuff

being family i know he knows what he's on about because the walls of his house are decorated with awards and stuff he's won

i'll be popping round there today so i'll ask him the questions