General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Should i take the job?
Yes
30.00%
No
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Should i take it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i take it?

Currently working in a 9-5, mon-fri job in the motor trade, earning an alright wage, but nothing major at all. I enjoy the job mostly, but i have a degree in Graphic Design that im not putting to any use at all, which bothers me a bit.

Anyway....

Ive been "head hunted" by a local designers, who have offered me a job, result . However, the job offered is predominantly a sales job, i would be travelling around central and southern Scotland, visiting businesses etc with the aim to create business for the company, from there, i would be responsible for designing the initial product for the customer, OK'ing everything, price, timescale etc etc, then passing the job on to the production guys who would print/launch/do whatever with the design.

Problem arises; The base wage is 3k per year less that what i currently earn, with a commision of 6% on all business i generate for the company from my visits/appointments with local business owners. Which obviously means the potential to earn ALOT more than i do now is there.

I've never done sales, i dunno if i fancy having targets, commision to make before i get a decent wage at the end of the month, coupled with the fact its not as much design orientated as i wanted, but its 100x more design than what i do now!

Should i take it, or should i not?

Last edited by Coldo; 11-06-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

6% strikes me as a bit skinny if you are basically developing a whole new customer base for them from scratch.....

See if you can google or go on jobsites and see what packages are generally offered to similar roles in your area and go from there.

They have head hunted you - so they want you, and its only their opening offer.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds too much like a salesman pushing anything they can design themselves to me.

IMO i would try and push for something more graphic design based...
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BTTT
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

in your position i would demand a base salary higher than current with the 6% on top. as said, they have headhunted you so make them pay for you.

money aside, because money is certainly not everything and job satisfaction is equally important imo, it sounds like it would be challenging for you, which would appeal to me. and you won't know if you don't try. if your current job is not all that challenging, then you can probably get back into it or something better if this one does not work out.