General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Subaru experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Magnex20011
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru experts

Whats the jap version of the UK P1????

Problem is all the P1 within a 9 - 10 k budget scare me.. ie 60k on the clock + 5 owners etc etc ....

is there a jap version or the P1 or 22b? Theses usually have lower milage. I need a new car but must be reliable! am i hunting for the wrong car?

any help appreciated
Peter
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the jap version of the p1 is the 2dr type r

my mates got a p1 and it's a cracking car, really good to drive

Last edited by steviecossie; 08-06-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM
rst-g
ZETEC TURBO

sti 5
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

60k on an 11 year old car!!

whats wrong with that then?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Magnex20011
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for the help guys...

I agree most 11 year old cars have 60k + on the clock, this is to be expected. But I’m looking for a car with well below this mileage (even if it is 11 years old).
If the engine was a V6 or v8 then if wouldn't mind, but on a turbo charged 4 cylinder rally car then I start to worry. I've heard Subaru replaced some engines on the P1 under warranty at WELL below 60k.
Lets face it 60 k is a LOT of miles on a turbo charged engine.

Just my opinion but I’m not shelling out 10k for a Scooby with that mileage, would have to be 50k MAX

Pete
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magnex20011
Thanks for the help guys...

I agree most 11 year old cars have 60k + on the clock, this is to be expected. But I’m looking for a car with well below this mileage (even if it is 11 years old).
If the engine was a V6 or v8 then if wouldn't mind, but on a turbo charged 4 cylinder rally car then I start to worry. I've heard Subaru replaced some engines on the P1 under warranty at WELL below 60k.
Lets face it 60 k is a LOT of miles on a turbo charged engine.

Just my opinion but I’m not shelling out 10k for a Scooby with that mileage, would have to be 50k MAX

Pete

rally car?its a road car,and 60k on a turbo or non turbo is nothing really,50k is hardly much less.
now i know why i stopped selling cars!!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand imports are graded and there are SOME reliable checks that can be done nowadays... but are you 100% confident that you'd buy an imported car that's REALLY done the mileage it's showing?

It's more difficult to do now but I know a lot of people that were importing these cars a few years ago and you really have no idea what you're buying.

I would personally rather spend the extra and buy a UK Spec car [if the option was there] every time or go to Japan and source/import something myself.

Last edited by Paddy; 08-06-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Magnex20011
PassionFord Regular

Hmm good point paddy... I suppose you never know the exact history of an imported car.
There are a lot of doggy importers around according to forum feedback... most of them in the North of the country

Personally I think 60k on a P1 is to high. Lets face it.. The pervious owner is hardly likely to be an old lady that uses the car for her weekly shop. 60K of HARD driving in my opinion is to much. I would say 50k MAX is a fair mileage on a 10 k budget for a Scooby. This is just my opinion. Everyone sets limits when they buy a car, mine happen to be that the mileage should not exceed 50k with a FULL Subaru service history.
10 k happens to be a lot of $$ for me, although I understand it’s not a huge budget.

No disrespect but maybe you stop selling cars because you kept telling the buyers their opinions are all wrong and that you know it all
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magnex20011
Hmm good point paddy... I suppose you never know the exact history of an imported car.
There are a lot of doggy importers around according to forum feedback... most of them in the North of the country

Personally I think 60k on a P1 is to high. Lets face it.. The pervious owner is hardly likely to be an old lady that uses the car for her weekly shop. 60K of HARD driving in my opinion is to much. I would say 50k MAX is a fair mileage on a 10 k budget for a Scooby. This is just my opinion. Everyone sets limits when they buy a car, mine happen to be that the mileage should not exceed 50k with a FULL Subaru service history.
10 k happens to be a lot of $$ for me, although I understand it’s not a huge budget.

No disrespect but maybe you stop selling cars because you kept telling the buyers their opinions are all wrong and that you know it all
doggy importers,they import poodles and pugs then?

ive heard the expresion sold a "pup",must from the doggy importers!!

i know enough to realize when somebody sounds like hard work!!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

whats that saying?

assumption is the mother of all fuckups!!

a 20k mile car could be treated alot worse than a 100k car,no possible way of telling,the importer would almost not drive the cars so they are hardly going to abuse them especially if they are going to sell them on,who wants a whinging customer back complaining?
personally if your going to be that cautious buying a car that 50k is so much more important than 60k i would avoid imports at all cost,you want to see how them jap kids drive!!2 fast 2 bloody furious was not far off!!

look for a nice newer uk car 2005/6 with 20k and mature owner,there are lots out there,much safer.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Magnex20011
PassionFord Regular

Believe me when I buy a car I AM VERY hard work, why shouldn't I be ?
I mean I’m not buying sweets. I’m handing over 10k + of my hard earned and would never do that lightly.

But after all that, I think you may have hit the nail:
“look for a nice newer uk car” Which i am about to do....

Thanks for the advise guys

Peter
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
JK99
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go for the STi Type R over the P1 (and I have!).

60k might sound a lot of miles to you, but chances are that it's had a rebuild.

There are P1's kicking about that have a mileage on the 20's and have been rebuilt.

The engine isn't really that strong, but it's more than likely a faulty MAF has caused a terminal engine failure. It's so common on them.

If you want a stronger engine then the STi Type R (V5/6 is comparitive in age) is the one to go for. Plus you get the adjustable diff (DCCD) and a stronger drivetrain.

It's also the quickest Production Subaru (4.3s to 60).

Get it bought. You won't regret it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're after a keeper and like a clean car then I'd keep an eye out for a genuine STI V5 or 6 Type R.

A UK car of similar age will be far more tired looking, the Jap Imports are much cleaner (of a similar age) I've just picked up my mrs a year 2000 UK Impreza wagon and it's had 2 owners and done 65k with FSH.. but it's nowhere near as clean underneath or under the bonnet as most of the Jap Imports I've had. Infact I'd say the 93 Jap WRX I had was cleaner under the bonnet.

I know people will say they'll get tired when they've been here anyway but you've got a good head start on a circa 8 year old car and if you clean it off and properly underseal it and keep it clean underneath through winter there's no reason why it shouldn't stay in the condition it came from Japan in.

As you've got a decent sum of cash I'd contact a quality Jap Imorter such as Newera Imports and see if they can source you the right car in Japan. They should be able to get you a mint low mileage car if you want one and have the money. There are decent FSH cars for sale in Japan and a dealer such as this will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
scooby_gav
Virgin

I've got a P1 with 71k, which was rebuilt at 22k under warranty.
Condition and history is everything with these cars, don't limit your search to just sub 50k cars, plenty of good enthuisast owned examples with higher mileages.
A P1 is a V5 Type R, that has been tweaked by Prodrive for uk driving conditions. Engines are just as likely to go on the Type R as the P1. At least with it being a uk car you should get some history.
Type R's are only quicker to 60 because they've got a lower ratio gearbox which makes them less suitable for motorway driving, 80mph = 4500rpm!