General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any builders in tonight please ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008 | 07:44 PM
gazcos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default Any builders in tonight please ??

I'm moving into a new house in a week or so,s time and i have a question for you. The garage is only 13ft long and the plan is to extend it into the kitchen which is currently behind it. The garage i beleive is an original part of the house whereas the kitchen is part of an extension. here is a picture showing the side of the garage and the flatroofed extension behind

The next photos show the part of the kitchen i want to use to make the garage longer. Basically i want to move the wall between the kitchen and the garage back by about 4 ft which would bring it roughly to the kitchen base cabinet you can see.

I was going to get a builder in but can anyone give me any tips on how i might go about this myself. If i knock the wall down will i have to replace it with an rsj etc.

I know its hard to advise me just by going on a few pictures but would really like to tackle this myself.

Cheers Gaz
Old 06-06-2008 | 08:06 PM
c.fogarty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Mate, the fact the missus is happy to lose 5ft of her Kitchen to accomodate a bigger garage is a result to start with.........

Buildingwise, the garage roof joists will probably hang off a wall plate which should be sitting on a pier where it meets the kitchen and if you keep the pier no extra structual work will be needed.
Old 06-06-2008 | 08:15 PM
gazcos

Originally Posted by c.fogarty
Mate, the fact the missus is happy to lose 5ft of her Kitchen to accomodate a bigger garage is a result to start with.........

Buildingwise, the garage roof joists will probably hang off a wall plate which should be sitting on a pier where it meets the kitchen and if you keep the pier no extra structual work will be needed.
Thanks mate. Yes you're right,my Mrs is a diamond. So from what your saying the wall with the door through to the garage would originally have been the back wall of the garage but doesn't support the garage roof. Hopefully then as long as i leave the pier in place i can knock it down and build a new one further back
Old 06-06-2008 | 08:20 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

looks a nice house - i like that style with bay windows and the front door inset
Old 06-06-2008 | 08:31 PM
c.fogarty

Originally Posted by gazcos
Thanks mate. Yes you're right,my Mrs is a diamond. So from what your saying the wall with the door through to the garage would originally have been the back wall of the garage but doesn't support the garage roof. Hopefully then as long as i leave the pier in place i can knock it down and build a new one further back
TBH mate, very little load on that type of shallow pitched felt/ply roof, and wall plate ( prob' 8" x 2" ) will easily take the weight without any other pier/support. And the blockwork ( ??? ) partition wall between Kitchen/Garage may do nothing more than seperate the rooms.
HTH
Old 06-06-2008 | 09:56 PM
geoffxr4

How thick is the wall between the kitchen / garage?
Old 06-06-2008 | 10:02 PM
gazcos

Originally Posted by geoffxr4
How thick is the wall between the kitchen / garage?
I cant remember now mate I wont be able to look untill i move in now.
Old 06-06-2008 | 10:46 PM
c.fogarty

I cant remember now mate I wont be able to look untill i move in now.
Just leave the Garage pier in place mate regardless of wall thickness.

The Kitchen which is obviously a add-on/extension may also have a brick pier to support the L/H end of wall plate ( the wall plate supports the Kitchen roof joists, likewise in the garage)

Both have little load on that type of roof, and are often just spanned off the wall plate.

Bet the Kitchen wall has not been stitched into the Garage brickwork???

If you retain the piers, and just throw up a stud wall then no need for any RSJ/Lintel
Old 06-06-2008 | 10:55 PM
gazcos

Just leave the Garage pier in place mate regardless of wall thickness.

The Kitchen which is obviously a add-on/extension may also have a brick pier to support the L/H end of wall plate ( the wall plate supports the Kitchen roof joists, likewise in the garage)

Both have little load on that type of roof, and are often just spanned off the wall plate.

Bet the Kitchen wall has not been stitched into the Garage brickwork???

If you retain the piers, and just throw up a stud wall then no need for any RSJ/Lintel
Thanks again mate, very helpfull
Old 06-06-2008 | 11:17 PM
c.fogarty

Thanks again mate, very helpfull
No probs' mate

But i'm obliged to say:

Disclaimer:

Any personal injury/property damage is a result of your own actions.

And advice given is purely advisory, you have no legal recourse, and you should seek professional advice from a fully qualified structual engineer ( read: fookin' expensive) before carrying out any building works.

Good luck mate
Old 07-06-2008 | 07:27 AM
gazcos

No probs' mate

But i'm obliged to say:

Disclaimer:

Any personal injury/property damage is a result of your own actions.

And advice given is purely advisory, you have no legal recourse, and you should seek professional advice from a fully qualified structual engineer ( read: fookin' expensive) before carrying out any building works.

Good luck mate
Oh yes mate i realise if the whole house colapses i cant hold you to blame LOL

Cheers Gaz