General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

someone just crashed into my car. advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone just crashed into my car. advice needed

a delivery driver just reversed into my car and screwed the bonnet and front bumper.

got all the details and stuff, but the windows are tinted on the car and the insurance dont yet know.

am i going to have to have them removed asap?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

shit news mate.........i would get them taken off to be sure mate
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i wouldnt. your insurance shouldnt be involved really
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

but if their insurance sends someone round to have a look and they notice them wont they start asking questions and checking its all declared before going through with the claim?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanCossie
shit news mate.........i would get them taken off to be sure mate
i know mate, had the car from new, not a mark on it really. and never had an accident since i started driving.

was thinking of selling the car the other day. maybe this is revenge from the car gods
Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Diablo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Cowboi
a delivery driver just reversed into my car and screwed the bonnet and front bumper.

got all the details and stuff, but the windows are tinted on the car and the insurance dont yet know.

am i going to have to have them removed asap?
You have to be very careful here. Even a third party assessor can 'inform' your insurer. I had an assessor contact my insurer to confirm that I declared the mods to one of my cars, even though it was a clear cut case of being hit from behind while stationery...He even checked all of the tread depths! For the avoidance of doubt, I would remove them.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

i agree, get them off. Are the tints on the front doors? If so, they are illegal and really should come off!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Give the insurance company a call & tell them that you're getting the windows tinted this week
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by A J
Give the insurance company a call & tell them that you're getting the windows tinted this week
not bad idea. no reason why i couldnt of been on the way to the place then is there really
Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't think they will fall for that, especially if you get it done after a crash not very likely.
They would probably ask for the receipts or something as its very obvious what you are doing.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Play it safe, remove them.

You can addd it later on when the car is fixed and this time, tell them!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM
snOOpy86

are any of ur windows smashed? we have had cars in at work befour with heavy tints that more than likely are not declared same with alloy wheels etc and only in 1 heavly modified car case in the last year here have we had 1 refused.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only really need to pipe up if you want to claim for the glass......but you have all your mods declared anyway, don't you?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

take them out anyway, tints are shite. tho in a MG i suppose you need them to hide your identity
Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

remove tints
phone his insurance company
tell them to fix your car and sort you out with a replacement while it's off the road

then sell the car
with no tints
Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

If the other driver has admitted responsibility, that's that, don't worry about it.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Lambchop
i wouldnt. your insurance shouldnt be involved really
on a serious note.

yeh there no need for ur insurance to get involved. it means a bit of paperwork and effort on your part, but at least you wont have a claim on ur insurance.

i did this a few years back, some old blind bint pulled out from a side road on me whilst i was doing 60 on a dual carrigeway!

i chose now to go through my insurance as i had 3 witnesses who agreed it was 100% her fault, and instead i dealt with it my self.

get 3 quotes from a body shop/ or even get it done. take lots or pics.
rite to her insurance company asking for compensation/claim on her part.

i did this with the written of pug, was was worth Ł1000 max, but i said it was Ł2500. with pages of auto trader to back up value.

I got Ł2200 chequr in the bank result!

and i kept the car as i made no actual claim on my insurance, sold engine n bits for extra Ł300. happy days!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

but if their insurance sends someone round to have a look and they notice them wont they start asking questions and checking its all declared before going through with the claim?

Why would their insurance company spend money doing that, when it wont effect what they have to pay out anyway?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
on a serious note.

yeh there no need for ur insurance to get involved. it means a bit of paperwork and effort on your part, but at least you wont have a claim on ur insurance.

i did this a few years back, some old blind bint pulled out from a side road on me whilst i was doing 60 on a dual carrigeway!

i chose now to go through my insurance as i had 3 witnesses who agreed it was 100% her fault, and instead i dealt with it my self.

get 3 quotes from a body shop/ or even get it done. take lots or pics.
rite to her insurance company asking for compensation/claim on her part.

i did this with the written of pug, was was worth Ł1000 max, but i said it was Ł2500. with pages of auto trader to back up value.

I got Ł2200 chequr in the bank result!

and i kept the car as i made no actual claim on my insurance, sold engine n bits for extra Ł300. happy days!
I've done the same myself, I was hit up the arse by a artic lorry in a traffic jam, he then punted me into the Espace in front, both drivers were insured with the same company so they settled it themselves and I asked for a cash settlement on the 1.9 Gti Pug I had, I got Ł750 and it cost me about Ł100 and a day at the scrappy to fix
Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
I've done the same myself, I was hit up the arse by a artic lorry in a traffic jam, he then punted me into the Espace in front, both drivers were insured with the same company so they settled it themselves and I asked for a cash settlement on the 1.9 Gti Pug I had, I got Ł750 and it cost me about Ł100 and a day at the scrappy to fix
tis the way to go, especially if u have a witness. as close as you will ever get to geting one back at the robbing insurance trade!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
tis the way to go, especially if u have a witness. as close as you will ever get to geting one back at the robbing insurance trade!
I wasn't short on witnesses

I did feel very good about myself for doing it though
Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
I wasn't short on witnesses

I did feel very good about myself for doing it though
me to
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

was no witnesses.
i spoke to a person from her companys insurance department and she has a note of her records saying "reversed into 3rd parts vehicle" untill she gets the propper claim form back from the lady who hit me she couldnt comment further.
but looks like she isnt going to argue about it being her fault.

i was worried that if there was a mod on the car that was declared that the policy was pretty much void. i know its my own fault and i should of declared it when i got them done.

i dont have the cash to go and get it repaired myself so will have to let it go through the insurance. but my insurance company will repair the car and give me a loan car all free of charge with no excess once the other person officially admits liability.

either that or my mates works for vw and they do a thing called accident exchange, where they would fix the car and give me a hire car and they sort it out with the insurance people.
also they would push it in the direction of being written off for me. (which is what i'd like really as i was thinking of selling it)
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w

either that or my mates works for vw and they do a thing called accident exchange, where they would fix the car and give me a hire car and they sort it out with the insurance people.
also they would push it in the direction of being written off for me. (which is what i'd like really as i was thinking of selling it)
mate accident exchange are the reason why insurance is going up as they are hiring cars and charging BIG bucks to them for it, they basically know the law and are exploiting it

avoid these companys as they will get you a overpriced hire car,,,,, they been doing things like renting porsches to people of similer cars and charging insurance companys for it instead of dealing with a micra and slumming if till the cars repaired

if it was in east london a bloke i train with is a claims assessor for norwich union and he can look into things for you,,,, hes job is to value the cars and decide what needs doing !!!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Ginge !
avoid these companys as they will get you a overpriced hire car,,,,, they been doing things like renting porsches to people of similer cars and charging insurance companys for it instead of dealing with a micra and slumming if till the cars repaired
not been funny ,but if i was lucky to own a porsche and also afford the insurance on one and it got dinged. id expect my insurance co to offer the same spec courtesy car back to me, not a poxy micra!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
RS_JAY

I left mine in when the insurance company came out and they didnt say anything about the tints. and i still got a pay out. Up to you if you want to take the risk though.