General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

can i connect a virgin+ box to a pc ?

Search this Thread

Old 24-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can i connect a virgin+ box to a pc ?

reason i ask is ive got surround sound on the pc and wanna try and connect the lot up together

or aint that possible ?

if not what surround sound amp should i get,,,,, and can i connect that to the computer ect
Old 24-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

It'd be very easy to connect the V+ box to the PC for video, but for passing on sound, I don't think it's that easy. To get it to play through, with no resampling or delay wouldn't be easy and probably involve some fairly expensive soundcards and processing gear...

You're much better off just buying an all in one Surround Sound system which should have enough inputs to plug in a few source items - DVD, V+/Sky, PC etc....

Tho unless these sources are outputting a true multichannel audio format (such as Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, etc) then there is little point connecting them to a surround sound processor as the input signal is stereo.....
Old 24-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thrush the pc has 7.1 surround sound aswell as a digital output

the V+ i aint bothered looking at

basically im trying to get a pc monitor and speakers in the bedroom to allow me to use the pc and hope to get the signal from the V+ to allow me to also watch it upstairs without spending a extra wedge on another box, also means i can watch movies off the PC upstairs too and the monitor is nice and thin

got a LOAD of stuff im trying to work out at the moment
Old 24-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

what surround sound processor would you say to look at, ive got bose speakers and a decent stereo but want to get the tv working off the stereo PROPERLY rather than stereo with 4 speakers round the room ( hope that makes sence )

THEN i need a remote control that can work ALL of these to avoid having 15 remotes on the arm of the sofa !
Old 24-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Wheter your PC has 7.1 or not, you are going to be feeding it a stereo (2.0) signal, so your PC can have 8billion.1 if you want, it still won't make it any better! Bit like having a HDTV and watching a VHS video on it - it's still gonna look shit...

Best thing you can do to be able to watch stuff from V+ box in the bedroom is buy a small LCD TV/Monitor with composite inputs (yellow video + red and white audio) and a VGA or DVI input (most have these)

Then buy this for your V+ box and attach it to the scart output;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...889&doy=search

Then upstairs plug it into the monitor/TV (if it's a monitor without speakers you will need speakers that are powered or plugged into an amp, hence why in my initial post I suggested an all in one combo). BAM! You have V+ upstairs and you can even use the V+ remote to control it wirelessly aswell. Sorted.

To watch films from the computer on it aswell, all you need is to plug a monitor cable (VGA or DVI) from the PC into the TV/monitor (and since your PC has 7.1 audio, use that - tho you will need a 7.1 powered speaker set from someone like Logitech)

The easiest way is to get an LCD TV. It'll have speakers built in, with carying video and audio inputs. Simplest connection for V+ and pc is the composite (yellow red and white) phono from the wireless AV sender I linked to (sound and picture) and VGA/DVI from PC, plus run a 3.5mm stereo jack cable from the PC's speaker output to either 3.5mm stereo input on the TV or to a pair of phono's (red and white) on the TV (make and model of TV will determine the connection needed for PC audio cable)

Simple.
Old 24-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thrush i cant use the scart as im using the HDMI output on the V+ box. it wont allow to use 2 outputs for some reason,, i know this as ive got the scart connected to the tv on AV2 and the HDMI turned on for hi def and i cant get the scart UNLESS i change the settings on the V+ box then i loose the HDMI signal

hence me thinking about the PC idea as ive got a spare 22ins monitor i could use as a tv in my room !