General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

woosner forged pistons

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok i might have had a bad batch, but its not just me who has had this problem. Theres more than just me saying that they shrink. I was going to do the usual and take the pistons with the block to get bored, BUT Wossner them selves told me i HAD to get the block bored to there set tollerences.

Mine will stay in for 6 months when bring car out next year as i cant afford to to bottom end again just yet. After next summer i will rip the engine out and give it a refresh with new pistons.
Old 21-05-2008, 04:07 PM
madcossy
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash
Ok i might have had a bad batch, but its not just me who has had this problem. Theres more than just me saying that they shrink. I was going to do the usual and take the pistons with the block to get bored, BUT Wossner them selves told me i HAD to get the block bored to there set tollerences.

Mine will stay in for 6 months when bring car out next year as i cant afford to to bottom end again just yet. After next summer i will rip the engine out and give it a refresh with new pistons.
what are your pistons doing is it piston slap even when warm how many miles you done on them
Old 21-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Originally Posted by madcossy
what are your pistons doing is it piston slap even when warm how many miles you done on them
Got piston slap at after around 2.5-3k miles which was very faint. I had it Mapped at around 2k miles and Ahmed said he could hear a little bit of slap on the Det cans.

Engine had done about 4.5-5k when i took the car off the road and it was very noisey at start up and still had little rattle once warm. Trev, Hitchwest, Marco, Richie all heard it at Donington. Its a real shame as the engine runs fine, doesnt use hardly any oil, doesnt smoke, and at Donington it got hammered all day without problem. Just sounds like a tank on start up.
Old 21-05-2008, 04:46 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect, boring/honing a block without actually measuring the pistons isn't the right way to build an engine.
Old 21-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
With all due respect, boring/honing a block without actually measuring the pistons isn't the right way to build an engine.
Pistons were measured and given to Machinest. Like i said Wossner them selves told me i HAD to bore the block to the tollerences they gave me. They even give on the side of the box the pistons come in, size of pistons and size bore needs to be bored too.

I hope those using wossners without any problems continue to that way. My point is theres to many people having problems with them for quality not to be an issue. How many times have you heard of this many problems with CP, JE etc?
Old 21-05-2008, 05:04 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i certainly wouldnt risk it....

cp for me via martoon
Old 21-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

we measure all pistons before boring, but for some reason, one of the two we had gave a problem! never had any other problems with them, and have done quite a few.
Old 21-05-2008, 05:41 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nash
Pistons were measured and given to Machinest. Like i said Wossner them selves told me i HAD to bore the block to the tollerences they gave me. They even give on the side of the box the pistons come in, size of pistons and size bore needs to be bored too.

I hope those using wossners without any problems continue to that way. My point is theres to many people having problems with them for quality not to be an issue. How many times have you heard of this many problems with CP, JE etc?
There are two lessons to be learnt from this.. 1) Don't listen to sales guys and 2) never go by the label.
Old 21-05-2008, 05:46 PM
glancy2081
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 lessons really never listen to someone on a internet forum telling you your first hand experiance is wrong
Old 21-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
There are two lessons to be learnt from this.. 1) Don't listen to sales guys and 2) never go by the label.
Wasnt told by the sales guys, but by Wossner them selves as i have said 3 times now. The note on the box says bore to xxx aswell as the being told this. Now ok i could have bored them to what is the norm and not what they say, but what happens if it has siezed up?

Also if i had bored it wrong the car would have had massive piston slap the second i first started it. So why did it develop after 2kmiles and then start to get worse the more miles i did?
Old 21-05-2008, 06:00 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to be a quality issue if not the same after a few miles.
My machinist will not even accept a block without the pistons, which they take out the box, throw the box away, and do on an individual basis after measuring.
I always used to have 1 thouh extra on me pintos, defo felt freer.
tabetha