General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Whats the law on this........

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2008, 03:00 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the law on this........

If something falls off a vehicle in front of you and hits your vehicle, are they responsible for the damage it causes???

Just wondered as ive had it happen to me a few times now in the van. Once with a scaffold bar from a pick up that bounced and nearly went through my screen at 80mph, and once with a 70mph wheel trim into the bumper of my van.

Theyve got to be responsible for the damage surely? A copper that i spoke too said thats its just bad luck and nothing they can do about it?!?!?

Also, would they be responsible if the object causes you to swerve and crash? Surely they would?
Old 13-05-2008, 03:04 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Dunno, you're supposed to be in control of your vehicle at all times, and that includes avoiding objects that "appear" in front of you

Someone could argue (devil's advocate here) that you should keep a sufficient distance for objects falling off the vehicle in front to not be a danger to you.

I am not sure if that's what the law would say though
Old 13-05-2008, 03:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the vehicle it falls from is responsible

but seeing as you can never catch the fookers because they've just trashed your motor is the difficult bit

recovery truck driver who was giving me a lift back one day had a skip lorry in front of him with the tarpaulin flapping about the place and a bit of stone flew out and cracked his windscreen
he took the number down and resported him and got his company to fork out for the cost of replacement
Old 13-05-2008, 03:09 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

At the end of the day it wasnt your fault, so persue a claim and see how you get on, what have you got to loose.
Old 13-05-2008, 03:10 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Absolute offence, fine and 3 points minimum for anything falling from vehicle onto highway.
Report the fuckers and file a claim.
Old 13-05-2008, 03:20 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The rocket propelled wheel trim didnt actually do any damage to my van apart from a small scuff on the bottom so im not really bothered, but was just wondering as i see loads of unsecure loads and stuff being on the motorways all day.

As said though, i suppose proving it is the problem.

I actually saw a wheel barrow on a slip road the other day! How stupid can be people be to not secure things like this properly.
Old 13-05-2008, 03:23 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Saw a 2 seater the other day in lane 2 on M27, was nearly a pile up.
Me and mate pushed it to hard shoulder, his idea....
Then saw a pikey van with a matching 1 and 3 seater with a nice 2 seater hole in middle.
Phoned police, gave details etc, never heard anything more about it.
Then I get pulled for doing couple mph over the limit, otherwise driving perfectly (ex ADI ffs) and that's the end of the bastard world, drives you fucking mad.

Trending Topics

Old 13-05-2008, 04:09 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Illegal, it is an "insecure load", if it is something like a scaffold pole, but a wheel trim lets face is it not uncommon unless you can prove they came off because they were not fitted with due diligence/care.
tabetha