General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fishkeeping... Tropical or Otherwise;

Search this Thread

Old 22-12-2004 | 03:58 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I promised JayRS ages ago I would post this, so here is how to make a simple devise you lower the Nitrate Levels in your tank.......

This will only work on a Tank that has some form of External (Pumped) Filtration.

You need a Container of some kind, that will hold around 1-2 Litres. Mine was a PVC Tube (about 3" Diameter) with Screw on Caps both ends. Not sure what it was originally for (it looked like the sort of thing you might pick up at a plumbing supplier), but the important thing is that it can seal watertight.

You then need to drill and attach a Hose Fitting to one end (the same size as you Filter Sytem). You can buy Hose Tails from any good Fishkeeping Supplier.

The other end needs a similar thing, but much smaller, Airline Size.

The Tube needs to be filled with a Biological Filter Material (the stuff thats tube shaped is probably best), then sealed off. You then need to fit a T-Piece in the return line from your External Filter, before it re-enters the tank and attach this to the fitting on the new devise. Its a good idea to put an isolating tap in here to make it easier if it needs to be removed for any reason.

It is best to position it so that the tube is vertical and the water flows uphill.

The other smaller connector on the other end needs to go back into the tank using Airline Hose (the very small bore stuff) and have a tap in it (the same type of tap that is used to control Airflow to an Airstone).

Once up and running and filled with water, the Airline Tap should be closed, so that water doesn't pass through it. You should leave it this way for 2-3 weeks. Then open the Airline tap to allow water to return to the tank at a rate of about 1 drop every 2-3 seconds.

After about a week, carry out a Nitrate Test and the value will be ZERO!!

I should make it clear that this doesn't substitute water changing, but will certainly make a large improvement to the Water Condition.

Old 22-12-2004 | 04:22 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

alright mate, i found it, yeah i sort of see what ya saying, that filter media you can get that looks like it froma pillow, will that be good enought you think?
Old 22-12-2004 | 04:40 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

There are lots of good biological filter media products out there. You want something that has alot of surface area, which is why the tube shaped stuff is good.
Old 22-12-2004 | 05:28 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I had loads of problems with chemical issues.
I now use Prime and a solid media call JBL Micromec. Only just started to re-introduce fish. only simple community fish but getting there.

Test once a week and all is good so far.
Old 22-12-2004 | 05:43 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

TBH, and i know what some people may think, i only chage water every 3-4 months in my 48x12x18 tank.
i take out about 20 liters and give it a gravel clean,
i clean the external filter out every 2months and my water is always spot on, if i do water changes every week/2 weeks my water goes to shit for some reason, so i just leave it alone and it works
Old 23-12-2004 | 10:00 PM
Gooey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Considering keeping my old 3 foot tank to have my 2 parrot fish in and turning the new 4ft one into a community tank. The hitlist so far is for guppies, neons or cardinals, mollys and some gourami's.

Any other suggestions??????
Old 23-12-2004 | 10:10 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

clown loach's mate, lovely fish, not sure about the guppies, they breed like fooking rabits and ya have baby fish swimming about within a week lol.
i got all sorts in my tank, some prob anit ment to be together but they all live in peace and dont mess with each other.
avoid tiger barbs and barbs in general if your going for fish with big/flowy fins like guppies as the barbs are fin nippers.
the firemouth ciclids are cool mate, there good in a community tank, some say there not but i have had them for years, if they die i get more and have never had a problem.
avoid the crabs, i had 1 years ago, withing a hour it had a fish and within 2 was back at the shop
Old 24-12-2004 | 10:27 AM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

agreed about the guppies, unless you just get males or are prepared to cull them i wouldn't bother. If you don't cull the deformaties you'll end up with some right ropey looking fish.

if i setup another freshwater tank(other than Discus) i would fill it with angels and neons, a few pictus cats and a zebra plec. Nice oh and male siamese fighter for good measure...
Old 24-12-2004 | 10:37 AM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

male siamese fighter fish are funny, put a mirror by the glass and watch it puff up and try and attack it self, sound cruel but was told to do it every now and then to keep it on itstoes, only done it once cos my ciclid killed it, lol. mind you, it tried attacting me through the glass at the shop and this is what made me buy it cos it looked cool.
it was when i first started keeping fish and didntt know ciclids were so hasrsh, mind you, i tammed him down and he lived in peace, even shared his home with my big ass ( 4-5 inch) clown loach, work that out....... no one could explane it as ciclids are territorial fish.
still got some ciclids now, got 3 in a tank, will be getting anothe 2 or 3 in new year as tanks only 2 foot for them, my big one in there has a war scar from a angle fish, this angle was about 2inch dia andthei ciclid was about 3 inchlong,he got a chunck missing from his gill and angle got killed! didnt see it but love me fish now i know more about them, lol