General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Centre lock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centre lock wheels

Where can you obtain centre lock wheels and hubs from?

What sort of money do these go for?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really know where you can get them from, maybe Martin (RS500labbatts) has a set, maybe Ryan or Richie may have some too?

IIRC they are about £600 a set though mate, PM Lambchops (John) on here, he'll tell you exactly, also IIRC the big nut socket and bar were £600 alone too!!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Get em from any good MG enthusiast.

He may even give you some beard growing tips and a book on SU carbs whilst you're there.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

There is a set of Mag Centre locks for sale on here right now in the wheels section too mate...
Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by Dan
There is a set of Mag Centre locks for sale on here right now in the wheels section too mate...

bit on the big size for my cabby they are 18's

need 16's or 17's at the most
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Speak to Tony at Touring Car Spares then mate and ask about 17's, i've only ever really seen centre locks in 18's (not saying they wern't done in other sizes just i've not seen that many of them).
Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

dont bother,, there alot of hassle just to say you got a set of centre locking wheels
Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Just spoke to an really helpful guy of touring car spares and it looks like im going to have to be disappointed.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

You speak to Tony Ryan mate? You won't go wrong with him!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:07 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you can triple your guestimate of £600 for the BBS ones then add the cost of tyres and they did do them in
17's

Last edited by rsnissan; 09-05-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Alloy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

O.Z definitely make them as the BTCC Honda Civic's run with the 17x8 inch wheels I think, you can get centre locks for great prices on Touring Car Spares, but it's the shit with the hub conversion thats the hassle.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by rsnissan
you can triple your guestimate of £600 for the BBS ones then add the cost of tyres and they did do them in
17's
Andy you gayboy I was talking about £600 for the centre hubs not the wheels themselves!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Tony Ryan
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for the kind words lads .
I should really write an article on this subject to help out but im not very good with words !
Basically , Gareth is absolutley right !
Centrelock wheels are for race cars , not roadcars .
If your adamant that you want to do this to your roadcar then heres some info for you 1st.
Magnesium is a soft material , Works teams could afford to change wheels as a precaution , can you ? Ive seen what happens to Alloy wheels , theyre scrap after a race weekend and i weigh them in accordingly .
The equipment to do up and undo these wheels is expensive , A Snap on hand gun wont do it , most are torqued from 350lb ft upwards and its the shock of the gun and the bite of the nut on the wheel that stops them coming off the spindle , this damages the wheels and changes the angle of the counterbore , meaning that the wheels are "lifed " .
A Paolli nut gun is £1500 , you need a pair .
Wheel nuts are "lifed " , they change shape , theyre alloy after all , i recntly had some made , even with mates rates and a bit of a deal theyre still £100 each to me !
Dont start me on "Adaptors " , lol . Not really my thing .
Im sorry if that sounds a bit pessimistic , i dont mean to be as i like the look as much as you all do , but ive invested in Airjacks , Compressed air bottles , and 1" Nut guns to make sure i can get them off & on when i need to .
Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Madness Tony!!

How the fook have people like Ryan and John gone about them then?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Tony Ryan
PassionFord Post Troll

I didn't say it cant be done , just quoted a few facts as i see it . I pray that i never see a "Fuck ,my cheap Centrelock wheel adaptor has just sheared "or a , " my wheel has just come undone " ,post , lol.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by Tony Ryan
I should really write an article on this subject to help out but im not very good with words !
Fair enough.
Its was great to have some good solid advise, you had the opportunity to simply sell me something and you chose not to.
I seriously appreciate honesty as much as I do good advice.

Thanks again
Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Niall.b
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i have spoken to bbs in germany and the touring car wheels were available in 15, 16, 17 & 18. the centre section is the same for all wheels its the rims that differ. most have to have the wheel built into the tyre as ther is no well for the tyre. hubs around 650-700 for a set. we are currently having 90mm sockets made to suit the nuts
Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

I didn't say it cant be done , just quoted a few facts as i see it . I pray that i never see a "Fuck ,my cheap Centrelock wheel adaptor has just sheared "or a , " my wheel has just come undone " ,post , lol.
Yeah I know mate, and agree about hoping to never see those sort of posts!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Your not the only one Tony

You have worried me slightly reading that post above though!

I have not had one come lose yet though, when I check them they are always still 100% tight plus the threads are left hand on the passenger side of the car so the momentum of the wheels turning shouldn’t try to undo the nut but of course I realise that’s only a small part of what could force it loose.

I think that running centre locks is hastle and you do need to do some regular maintaince to ensure everything is tight and safe.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Diablo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If your adamant that you want to do this to your roadcar then heres some info for you 1st.
Magnesium is a soft material , Works teams could afford to change wheels as a precaution , can you ? Ive seen what happens to Alloy wheels , theyre scrap after a race weekend and i weigh them in accordingly .
The equipment to do up and undo these wheels is expensive , A Snap on hand gun wont do it , most are torqued from 350lb ft upwards and its the shock of the gun and the bite of the nut on the wheel that stops them coming off the spindle , this damages the wheels and changes the angle of the counterbore , meaning that the wheels are "lifed " .
Wheel nuts are "lifed " , they change shape , theyre alloy after all , i recntly had some made , even with mates rates and a bit of a deal theyre still £100 each to me !
Im sorry if that sounds a bit pessimistic , i dont mean to be as i like the look as much as you all do , but ive invested in Airjacks , Compressed air bottles , and 1" Nut guns to make sure i can get them off & on when i need to .
After I had this conversation with you, I was well and truly put off them for my road car...
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool info..
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tony and i have spoke many times about this issue as im looking for centre locks for my race car , and his info is spot on , Hence why i wouldnt use them on a road car , still would be happy on a race car for the reason if one came of you stand a chance of going either into the grass / gravell/ armco . not another car coming towards you

Paul
Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was VERY close to getting some for my car, as Paul will probably tell you there is not a great deal of difference in the price of new CXN's and going for centrelocks (all things relative).
Aside from the safety issues on a road car you have to think of things like what you would do if you have a to swap over to a normal rim in the event of a punture or if you damaged a rim you wouldnt just be able to go and buy a replacement easily etc

stunning wheels though
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dan
Andy you gayboy I was talking about £600 for the centre hubs not the wheels themselves!
....yeah I knew that
Old 10-05-2008, 09:47 AM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just another thought on this matter, are they road legal? ie,would an mot tester pass a wheel thats held on with just 1 nut? ive often wondered this
Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by THE RADMAN
just another thought on this matter, are they road legal? ie,would an mot tester pass a wheel thats held on with just 1 nut? ive often wondered this
they are exactly the same principal as the knock on wire wheels that have been on road cars since before the war, they are just held on with a central spinner thats just tapped on with a leather headed mallet not even torqued up like the centre locks. The important part is that on the near side the nut is reverse threaded so that with forward motion the nut is actually trying to tighten itself on the move not come loose.

Done properly in the correct materials they will be fine, I agree with Tony though I have seen pics of some very weedy looking adapters normally on continental cars, the ones we are all using are made from aircraft spec H15 7075 alloy, the stuff landing gear is made from.

Ryans the test mule though on his current road trip to the ring and back hopefully he does not end up with three wheels on his wagon.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 PM
martinrs500labatts
Advanced PassionFord User

had centre lock wheels on my cars for over many years

never had one come loose in a race or testing,

check them regulary and torque mine to 500ibs

i never use an air gun as they are to much hassle and can give your hubs / nuts to much stick,

perfer to use a big torque wrench and 1" breaker bar for taking them off and a 3ft peice of strong tube

if they where not fitted to the race cars allready i would not be that bothered about fitting them,

if fitted correctly and looked after they do work well and you can live with them no problem,

trouble with the RS500 touring cars is that they look so good if you dont have them it will not look right.

not had any problems with the mag centre, out of tens sets of wheel i have seen only had one centre with a crack on it.

and have never broke one racing , even with big slick tyres and power.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
legend289
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT