General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ROFL : Scammer on Gumtree...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default ROFL : Scammer on Gumtree...

Saw this on another forum...

You all know what gumtree is right? Basically it's just an online notice board, where you can buy and sell stuff in the local area - much like Loot...

Right so this guy posts up on another forum asking if this sounds right - he's foundsomething he wants to buy but the seller is telling him to send the payment to him via Gumtree, who act as an intermediatry (like Escrow service) and they hold the money untill the buyer recieves the goods and instructs Gumtree to proceed with the payment......

1) Gumtree is not an Escrow service
2) Is this guy (seller) stupid?

This is his instructions to the buyer

1) You have to send me your full name and shipping address in order to contact GumTree to start the deal;
2) GumTree will contact you and give you all the financial details about our deal;
3) You can send the money to my name and address but you will not provide me the details of the payment.You will provide the details to GumTree.They will verify the payment and if is ok,and the money are available under my name they will notify me to procede with the shipping.
After you receive and see that the package is the one you want,you just notify GumTree to forward me the payment details in order for me to pick up my money;As payment method i accept Western Union Money Transfer.
4) If you will not receive the package not as advertised,GumTree will refund you the whole amount which you paid me(100 %).In case that you will not receive the package,they will refund you the money back from my account.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brilliant english there and western union anyone
Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

erm

Bong Koo Koo
Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 AM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I used to work in NIgeria and with no word of a lie they have offices set up with hundreds of guys in the each trying to scam money, they actually set business's up for scamming! its weird driving through Port Harcourt and LAgos (total poverty) and seeing these guys driving around on HUmmers and Range Rover Sports!!! Crazy....