General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Door wont close

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 AM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door wont close

The drivers door on my Xr4x4 doesn't like closing anymore. It's been a little stiff for a while now and oiling didn't really help. Now when u go to slam it shut it almost closes but bounces back out again as if something is blocking it. It will only close if u lean on it until it's fully closed and then it catches.

The other thing that is slightly suspicious is that the mechanism that stops the door opening too far dosn't seem to work and the door will open all the way out, past what it should. I've have a look in the door and can see nothing obvious but am now suspecting it could be something to do with this mechanism that stops the door opening too far being out of adjustment or something so that it's range is from 'open too far to not quite closed' instead of what it should be...

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly accepted...
Old 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The door not catching sounds like a sticky latch. Try using the shaft of a screwdriver to work the door latch and see if it engages as it should when closing on the keeper.

Don't know about the catch strap thing - I've never seen one of those stretch, and I think they go in from inside the door so couldn't get loose inside, unless the metalwork it fits into has corroded away?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 PM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i investigated the catch and it might be sticking a bit. However, it does close and catch if u lean on the door. When u open the door it springs out a bit as if something is constantly pushing the door open...

help