General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is There Money To Be Made In The Motor Industry??

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2008, 11:06 PM
BLACKCOS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone i know is getting out the car trade no money in second hand cars these days and basic wages are crap even one of the motor factors i know is about to shut up shop no money in it these days
Old 28-04-2008, 11:10 PM
as355f1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
Why are cat's so good to weigh in? And where do you take them?

MOT stations are very good money earners IMO.

If you only did 5 a day 6 days a week thats still well over 1k per week.

You could do 5 a day on your own with a min wage helper. You don't need a huge unit and you don't need many tools, other than the machines to setup originally.
A grand a week !

so you rent a garage approx 15k a year, spend £30k setting a test station up, employ a lackey for £250 (min wage) a week pay ya rates rent electric gas water approx £400 a week advertise approx £100 per week, buy your mot's from DVLA £100 per week thats approx £850 per week so you work mon-sat 8-5 for £150, with about 35k of your own money invested, somehow i cant understand how you get thats a good little money earner !

Last edited by as355f1; 28-04-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 29-04-2008, 07:02 AM
puddy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for a jag main dealer,who are owned by one of the biggest motor groups in the

world,profits up 26% and turnover up by about 40% from last year .

But guess what ,they can't even give us a inflation rise this year (3%) because they can't

afford it !

I have been in the trade for nealy 30 years ,and have never been so poor !

motor trade is shite,puddy
Old 29-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

find a job you love never work another day in your life.

its not all about money, its about quality of life, if you love what you do the money is secondary... I will always spend what I earn, learn to live with what you have and you will be happier
Old 29-04-2008, 05:59 PM
as355f1

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie

its not all about money, its about quality of life, if you love what you do the money is secondary... I will always spend what I earn, learn to live with what you have and you will be happier

best quote of the year
Old 29-04-2008, 06:06 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

foreigners are the way to go. my mate earns double his weekly wage doing jobs for mates/family.

good thing about being a mechanic is is the fact that nobody trusts them, so if you are recommended by a mate you will be rammed with work from mates of mates etc.

i only ever take my car to someone who i know...
Old 29-04-2008, 06:08 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id like to share the same view......but without a certain level of money in this day and age, there is no quality of life imo

I do enjoy what i do, but i dont wish to 'just cope' every month.

Cheers to everyone thats left comments, very much appreciated
Old 29-04-2008, 06:09 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

Originally Posted by as355f1
A grand a week !

so you rent a garage approx 15k a year, spend £30k setting a test station up, employ a lackey for £250 (min wage) a week pay ya rates rent electric gas water approx £400 a week advertise approx £100 per week, buy your mot's from DVLA £100 per week thats approx £850 per week so you work mon-sat 8-5 for £150, with about 35k of your own money invested, somehow i cant understand how you get thats a good little money earner !
EXACTLY. people love to throw figures around for turnover...but when you sit down and analyse costs your earnign fuck all.

do jobs from a little garage lock up for mates of mates and let your reputation spread and you'll be rammed with work. like i said above, i only go to lads i know. i wouldnt go to a random garage because i dont trust the fuckers!
Old 29-04-2008, 06:11 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

its a nice thought, but 99% of the time, the job you'd love pays fuck all.

and the only people who say "money doesnt matter" are people who are loaded LOL!

money lets you go on holiday, have nice cars, *helps* get your cock wet, no stress from unpaid bills or mortgages, now if that wouldnt bring you happiness, what the FUCK would?!!!!
Old 29-04-2008, 06:14 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ_RST
Id like to share the same view......but without a certain level of money in this day and age, there is no quality of life imo

I do enjoy what i do, but i dont wish to 'just cope' every month.

Cheers to everyone thats left comments, very much appreciated

Basically the government are screwing us all into the ground with tax, if it's taxable they'll tax it hard. They're not interested in helping anyone out, just coining money in. I cannot believe I'm now seeing diesel at 123.9 a litre, when's it going to end? When we're all bankrupt? Let's be honest, they could reduce the duty on fuel if they wanted to, or scrap the road tax, but it's just too good an earner for them. Want a bit more money, screw the motorist!
Old 29-04-2008, 07:45 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Become a gypsy/pikey/traveller.Theres some near me.Tarmac/blockpave drives all day,deal in cash,move to the next town and don,t pay rates/taxes.
You should see the f*cking motors they have got.

Brandnew transits,warriors and rangerovers.
Just a thought.
Old 29-04-2008, 08:07 PM
andy888

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

seen diesel at £1.32 per litre in kilmarnock today at a texaco garage. thats takin the piss........
Old 29-04-2008, 08:42 PM
BIG WULL
Fae the Dale

Heavy goods, thats where the money is! Usually due to the amount of hours you can work. Has to be a main dealer garage.
Harsh environment tho
Old 30-04-2008, 11:13 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

MOT stations good earners?!!

WTF!? If we didn't get any repairs from the test we do as a long time established MOT test station doing class 4, 7, and 5 tests, it'd not be worth us bothering.

We can fit any size motor home in our workshop so we get virtually them all in the area. We can also test minibusses up to 5 ton (most test stations can only test up to 3.5 tonne busses). We also do taxi testing.

We have no outlay on our equipment as it is all paid for.

My mate is in the same boat with his business. The only good bit of MOT's is the repairs that they generate.

If you was to set up a new test centre you'd have to comply with all the new regulations including the new smoke meters which have to be in place by the end of the year, the test lane itself (anyone setting up a new centre would be stupid not to install an automated test lane). You're looking at a bare minimum of around 30-40k on equipment before you've even got a building to throw it in.

Then you've got the bloke round the corner doing them for £25 because he's got minimal over heads as he's been doing it for years and has paid for his equipment so you have to keep your prices on the same level.

MOT's are meant to take on average 45 minutes to an hour so unless you have multiple test lanes and employees/partners, you,re restricted to how many you can do in a day. You're also monitored by VOSA by the PC system so they know exactly how long you're taking on them.

Big Wull is right on the commercial/heavy fleet business. If you're employed, dealers is where the money is. If you're setting up, expect to merely make a living. DAF technicians near me are on roughly 33k a year on night shift.

It's a tough trade at the moment.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Ian M500COS

Only way to make money out of the Motoring Industry is to set up a bumbling corrupt Government and suck the life, heart soul and money out of everyone you "service". Or start your own oil production company!
Old 30-04-2008, 11:30 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Whats the outlay on setting up a recovery business tho??
the cost of the truck would be a start

there is money out there but you need to work for leasing companies to make money rather than anything else

guy round the corner was raking it in with his garage, but i think he couldn't work the books so went bankrupt

either that or someone was spending more than he was earning.........
Old 30-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Not a part of the motor trade most of you are thiking of im sure, but there is still a good living to be made in Tuning if you ahve your head on your shoulders.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:49 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Not a part of the motor trade most of you are thiking of im sure, but there is still a good living to be made in Tuning if you ahve your head on your shoulders.
Interesting, worth looking into in more detail, PM coming at you also.

Is the tuning side of things not quite difficult to get into??

i realise it will be down to competence and knowledge etc...
Old 30-04-2008, 09:56 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Interesting, worth looking into in more detail, PM coming at you also.

Is the tuning side of things not quite difficult to get into??

i realise it will be down to competence and knowledge etc...
If you take up mobile ECU reflashing, you can plaster a van with a big advert up the side of it and you'll do as well as you push your business.

If you go into it with an MSD Genius, you just have to advertise it and push it locally and just build up from what interest you get. You'd also get refered from MSD's website if someone was looking at their site from your area.