General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tech challenge for Stu at MSD

Search this Thread

Old 18-04-2008, 12:14 AM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech challenge for Stu at MSD

Since you are the dons of mapping Are you able to remap the traction control on an E46 M3 so that it is set to be off on start up until you turn it on? I have heard rumours that mappers have not been able to do this and that it will always revert to being on as default until you turn it off. I know people can remap the default settings of sport button etc but its the traction control one I am interested in.

Cheers for input

Martin
Old 18-04-2008, 07:33 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i would imagine that an insurance company would not be too happy with that
Old 18-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dumped
Since you are the dons of mapping Are you able to remap the traction control on an E46 M3 so that it is set to be off on start up until you turn it on? I have heard rumours that mappers have not been able to do this and that it will always revert to being on as default until you turn it off. I know people can remap the default settings of sport button etc but its the traction control one I am interested in.

Cheers for input

Martin
No, sorry.
Old 18-04-2008, 09:42 AM
dumped

bummer, looks like my straight driving friend was right lol
Old 18-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to say that it couldn;t be for you, as you're not used to anything more than pedal power now-a-days .
Old 18-04-2008, 09:49 AM
dumped

Actually Mike, Nick has a point look at your ABS button lol I dont even venture above the speed limit these days so deffo not for me.
Old 18-04-2008, 10:27 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Sadly not its not an engine mapping feature - thats part of the base code of the ECU.

But given its on a button - its not worth paying to map it out surly!??
Old 18-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bottom line is that you can remove it but it would need to be with a "chip" not just a remap, and it could potentially be very difficult to do so as you arent going to find a checksum for it anywhere.

Surely it would be far easier to just knock up a basic circuit that pulses the switch for you when the engine starts?
Old 18-04-2008, 10:45 AM
dumped

Yip, but all far too complex and "modified", was hoping for the simple option of a remap at a local evo chip dealer for a few buckeroos. Now I will get the "I told you so" from said OCD traction assisted driving friend lol although I should not be pushing my morales onto him given the amount of close calls we used to have in my cars lol
Old 18-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control was off on the journey to work today. I was pushing on (cough) and it started to rain. I was very very much more concious of the possible impending MEGA crash. But I made it alive.

It is now welded off ( it is part of the OCD car starting process)

Doors lock, start car, traction off, lights on, check mirrors etc etc etc

I can only wish me good luck lol

RW
Old 18-04-2008, 01:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i thought it was a voidable accident from the insurance company if you've turned the tc off and had a whoopise?
Old 18-04-2008, 01:42 PM
dumped

dojj, if you manage to have a whoopsie you are usually on the wrong side of the law which should not be too favourable anyway, given what people get up to on this forum that is a waste of a comment imo, especially to how my OCD friend drives...... I have also never read a traction control clause on my insurance nor have i ever been made aware of it at the point of purchase which you have to be, has anyone got one of these? I am not however saying a condone such driving as i rarely go over the speed limit apart from the 20mph limit I encounter on my push bike everyday.

In my experience you can go pretty far wrong and still get an insurance payout without much drama.

Stevie I wish you good luck too, this is purely selfish but at least my next run in the car will be funnier lol. Oops there is a contradiction to my above statements lol
Old 18-04-2008, 01:53 PM
dojj

i was just pointing out that having a whoopsie in new cars nowadays is much easier to place accountability by just plugging in bits of wire and reading off what information is on the system

so if you had your tc button tapped off and then went sideways into a field and killed some sheep and grass etc they might "interogate" your car and see if there was indeed an escapee from an adjoinging feild which made your car go sideways of if it was just an exuberancde of your feet which caused the accident
Old 18-04-2008, 01:56 PM
dumped

what difference does that make - your still 100% accountable in all your cases!? you still get your pay out, thats why you pay insurance.

I could see the issue for maybe a dangerous driving charge or killing someone etc but its not against the law to have your TC off.
Old 18-04-2008, 01:59 PM
dojj

but is it against the law?

if someone can clarify this then it's another romour put to bed
Old 18-04-2008, 02:06 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

why would it be against the law? what a stupid argument dojj!!!
Old 18-04-2008, 02:17 PM
dojj

ok, maybe not against the law, more against the rules of the insurance company
Old 18-04-2008, 02:29 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

I kind of get dojjs point, if the computers in the car have memory then in theory the insurance company could find out if you had TC on when crashed. At end of the day theyre insuring you in a car which is insured with traction control so if you turn it off they could use it as a 'get out of jail free card' & not payout.

Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 02:33 PM
dumped

I'm sorry I dont get it in the slightest. They are insuring the vehicle, if you crash it TC on or off and you are the only one involved it is your fault anyway, I would still expect a payout unless thay had a specific clause barring turning it off on road use etc which I have not ever seen but may exist. I have never been told or read this at the point of sale of my insurance which again would void them from trying to say no to my claim.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:35 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

I'm sorry I dont get it in the slightest. They are insuring the vehicle, if you crash it TC on or off and you are the only one involved it is your fault anyway, I would still expect a payout unless thay had a specific clause barring turning it off on road use etc which I have not ever seen but may exist. I have never been told or read this at the point of sale of my insurance which again would void them from trying to say no to my claim.

If you crash it on your own yes your at fault but then they have to pay you for your car you crashed......hence why they use every slightest possible detail to get out of paying you...not rocket mate

Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by SillyFezzaMk1
I kind of get dojjs point, if the computers in the car have memory then in theory the insurance company could find out if you had TC on when crashed. At end of the day theyre insuring you in a car which is insured with traction control so if you turn it off they could use it as a 'get out of jail free card' & not payout.

Dan
I just can't see having it turned off being a problem
i mean they insure you on a car that has TC with the option of it being turned off via a little button
Old 18-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Michael,

I was just stating facts. I am neither here nor there if people think its big, clever, fast, slow, half the speed they could do it or twice the speed they would dare. I was just explaining my thinking after Martin and I had a conversation about why I had previously left the traction control on when driving fast on the road. It has changed my attitude a little more towards fear for the speed than previously.

There are many things I could point out about your posts on PF however last time I checked we were friends?

Cheers

RW
Old 18-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by SillyFezzaMk1
If you crash it on your own yes your at fault but then they have to pay you for your car you crashed......hence why they use every slightest possible detail to get out of paying you...not rocket mate

Dan

If they actually used EVERY slightest detail hardly any claims would be payed out
eg Going round a bend its damp you crash "techinally" thats careless driving.

I have just checked with my ins company
if i bought a car with traction control the fact that i will be able to turn it off would cause me no problems with a claim at all..

As they just said to me the car comes from the factory with the option to switch it off
Old 18-04-2008, 02:45 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Originally Posted by Chris Honeywell
I just can't see having it turned off being a problem
i mean they insure you on a car that has TC with the option of it being turned off via a little button

Same as different size alloys or a motorsport steering wheel...I'm not saying they would but if somehow they could check and you had it off then I think they would try not to pay out thats all....its a slim chance but still there.

They test the car & get the insurace group from many details..one of which would be handline & traction abilities....if they tested it with it off then it may be a different ins group?? if so then that could be their argument...same as modifying or removing any part of a std car.

Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 02:54 PM
dumped

The point of turning it off was only to concentrate steven and slow him down, honest lol

This insurance talk is bollix, if you roll over that easy for your insurance company you must be soft in the head or have far far too much cash. They are insuring your car for whatever liability you choose such as fully comp. It is a contract and even then some clauses may be deemed unfair terms in the eyes of the law so it is very hard for them to wriggle out of payment. The only one of worry which as nick pointed out would be modifying and so care would be needed on that. Such a deep routed remap on a car that externally passes all of the assesors criteria would be very unlikely to be checked imo and as the TC is an optional control I doubt it would carry no weight.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:55 PM
dumped

Dan, thats pants your saying your not allowed to push the buttons in the car.......
Old 18-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

If it was a requirement for insurance it wouldn't be possible to turn it off.

if you fall asleep at the wheel, ur insurance still pays out.

If you are drunk and kill someone - I think your insurance still pays out.

Both of those are worse than going without traction control.

Just to confirm: RWD still worries me a bit, so I always felt safer with the traction control on. Turning it off will make me slow down whilst I re-learn the car.

The joke about making it alive was for "dumped" only cos it was his idea!

Michael: Fair point, I only write my posts for the people on here that know me as a friend, not for everyone else as they don't know me from adam (or eve going by that pink picture marty put up of me on the pictures thread lol). So mostly my posts about speeds etc are to make my own friends laugh. So just remember, as a mate, you are supposed to laugh too .

RW

Last edited by Steven_RW; 18-04-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 18-04-2008, 03:29 PM
dumped

Hey dont make me feel guilty, I dont remember you telling me to turn on the TC when we went out in the cossie lol
Old 18-04-2008, 03:30 PM
dumped

I'm trying to remember if the 328 convertable even had TC lol...... BUS!!!!!!!!
Old 18-04-2008, 03:53 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Well I wouldnt buy a car with traction control in the 1st place and all my mods will be declared regardless on my insurance just in case.....insurance companies can be sly sometimes.

Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dojj, it was AlexF that was in breach of contract with the Z4M he had from work if he turned the TC off, thats what you are remembering I suspect mate
Old 18-04-2008, 08:36 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Dojj, it was AlexF that was in breach of contract with the Z4M he had from work if he turned the TC off, thats what you are remembering I suspect mate
yup that is correct!

Its part of the insurance I am covered by provided by BMW.

Anyone elses insurance will be fine with TC on or off.

The only way you would be fucked is if you kill someone. You would probably find it hard to explain why you turned off a safety system that potensially effects others in that case.

Alex
Old 18-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Ima Racing

steverw is the best driver in the world

..i turned traction off on my 500bhp 516ft/lb merc..proper bhp as virtually same weight as M3!.....nearly crashed the thing
Old 18-04-2008, 09:04 PM
dumped

Thought you car was only 470 odd hp and it was the SL that was just under 500? Always claiming 500 this and that lol. But your correct steve is a pretty handy driver lol
Old 18-04-2008, 09:08 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ima Racing
..i turned traction off on my 500bhp 516ft/lb merc..
you own a merc??
Old 18-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Ima Racing

Thought you car was only 470 odd hp and it was the SL that was just under 500? Always claiming 500 this and that lol. But your correct steve is a pretty handy driver lol

475bhp from Merc due to being half the price of the SAME engined SL..the E55 is also quicker due to being lighter
Old 18-04-2008, 09:25 PM
dumped

"The V-8 in the E55 is not exactly the same as the one in the SL55 AMG. Expect to be confused. At its launch, the SL55 produced the same figures as the E55. Then AMG found that 469 horsepower was at the very low end of the engine's tolerances. So it had the V-8 that's in the SL55 recertified at 493 horsepower. Now AMG admits that, due to differences in the induction geometry between the SL55 and E55 and the E55's longer exhaust system, the E55 produces less horsepower. "

same what? lol
Old 19-04-2008, 08:03 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Originally Posted by AlexF
yup that is correct!

Its part of the insurance I am covered by provided by BMW.

Anyone elses insurance will be fine with TC on or off.

The only way you would be fucked is if you kill someone. You would probably find it hard to explain why you turned off a safety system that potensially effects others in that case.

Alex
now that you mention it yes, it was that cold and frosty night at the pub meet

but does this make you the exception to the rule or do you think this would be a question that will be appearing on more and more insurance claim forms in the future?

Quick Reply: Tech challenge for Stu at MSD