General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

dead at 27

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead at 27

Hi all just wanted to share my thoughts today. it was 14 years ago to the day that the musical world found out theyd lost one of the best artists of the decade.

Im sure many of you 'hate' the man and shun his bands music, but to me and many others they offered a comfort no one else could offer. (especially at a time of becoming a young adult, with no idea where you future lies, no father figure, and people who called themselfs friends)

anyway id just like to take a minuite to remember kurt Cobain, who died at the young age of 27. he was an inspiration to me and many other people, and even tho i never knew him i miss him every day.

heres a link to one of my favorite songs buy kurt. and before you say its crap. the music wasnt about how good a singer u are or how good you play ur instrument, it is much deeper than that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGeP...eature=related
ironically his song is about old age

and heres an instrumental version of one of his songs, it just shows how much talent he had to write catchy pop songs underneath all that "grunge" image he got labeled with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjae7...eature=related

also id like to remember some of the other members of the 27 club.
Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, Janice Joplin, jim Morrison. there are others but i forget.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

14 years ago???!!!??!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

The guy and his band are legends in my eyes for producing some awesome music.

Shame he decided to die the way he did.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
14 years ago???!!!??!!
yeh, time flies.

look at the music we have on offer today, no wonder glastonbery didnt sell out
Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Madbradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Well said!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

14 years - wow

I remember the day well
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

1 word....

LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up there with the Beatles,Hendrix etc for pioneers of true music....

Pete...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Legend! Sad loss i remember it
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by _DAN_

Shame he decided to die the way he did.

I've read the book who killed kurt cobain and IMO no way was it suicide too many dodgy things. No prints on gun, pen or letter, different hand writing at the bottom which is the only part that sounds like suicide rest seems like leaving music to fans. Credit card missing and used, his wife lying about filling in a missing person report, getting herself arrested on purpose by grassing herself up to police for drugs abuse in a hotel at the 'right' time. Solicitor saying he was filing for divorce, taking 3 times the lethal dose of heroin, packing your kit nicely away then shooting yourself with a shotgun yeah right, the private detective she hired actually believes she was involved and not suicide. etc etc.

Not a conspiracy buff but the police messed up loads with that wrapping it up as suicide inside 2 hours because of who he was/music material.

Great music though but i slightly prefer Alice in chains who's lead singer also died at 27 and was seattle, from a drug overdose though.

Last edited by skeg; 08-04-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

live and unplugged in New York

in my small selection of favorite albums

as said, legend & such a shame hope Kurt can smile down on us
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
focuschivvy
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
yeh, time flies.

look at the music we have on offer today, no wonder glastonbery didnt sell out
with jay-z headlining? no bloody wonder!!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Close friends tribute to Kurt off Monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1bOcAQfEAM
Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQR-...eature=related
legend
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
live and unplugged in New York

in my small selection of favorite albums

as said, legend & such a shame hope Kurt can smile down on us
awsome mine too
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Always makes me wonder with this sort of person, the outcast who like being that way. But then they become famous and have money, fame and respect.

Suddenly they are the thing they resented and it is their talent/love that made them that way, can't help but feel that would leave them feeling hollow and a contradiction?

Sometimes I think the best stuff is produced by people with nothing, living from moment to moment, but once they make it and have all they could want, what do they have to write about?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Dare i say though i do prefer the Foos. I wonder what Nirvan could have been though if
kurt hadnt gone! He was pretty fed up anyways, perhaps they wouldnt have stayed a band anyway?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by matts1
Always makes me wonder with this sort of person, the outcast who like being that way. But then they become famous and have money, fame and respect.

Suddenly they are the thing they resented and it is their talent/love that made them that way, can't help but feel that would leave them feeling hollow and a contradiction?

Sometimes I think the best stuff is produced by people with nothing, living from moment to moment, but once they make it and have all they could want, what do they have to write about?
Exactly what happend to Ian Curtis. He became what he didnt want to be and lost control of his life. You seen Control the film?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Kevin B
PassionFord Regular

The unplugged gig was on sky at the weekend, always an awesome watch.

Such a shame...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Dare i say though i do prefer the Foos. I wonder what Nirvan could have been though if
kurt hadnt gone! He was pretty fed up anyways, perhaps they wouldnt have stayed a band anyway?
I think nirvana had had its day. they wernt the band everyone wanted them to be!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRvRo-mPT0

I love the unplugged album, this is more to nirvanas/kurts sound. listen to their early stuff and you'll see.

Im so glad there are others on here who respect him and his music. he was basically my father fiqure when i grew up. the music has so much meaning to me.

He is such an underrated talent, like has been said up there with jimi and lennon. Once people see past the "grunge" i hate my self and want to die, media image. his/their work is pure genius

As for the conspiracy/murder. well who are we to say? the way ive always seen it is it was an "aggrivated Suicide". i believe he did take his life, but there other major factors in his life which majorly contributed to his decision to end his life.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I remember looking at his mortuary photos, not a nice way to go, Good band with great tunes

RIP fella

Luciano
Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As for the conspiracy/murder. well who are we to say? the way ive always seen it is it was an "aggrivated Suicide". i believe he did take his life, but there other major factors in his life which majorly contributed to his decision to end his life.

Fair comments and view. For me though it was highly likely to not be suicide. I like Nirvana and a lot of their songs but not one of those who has every single cd and wore their t-shirts, i could name loads of bands i like more but after reading that book after it was lent to me i was just shocked. I always went by what i heard people say or the news, but then you would.

It has all the police reports, prints, statements and the letter in the book plus all the events and there are just too many dodgy things going on. Especially when you bear in mind that OJ got off in USA because some blood samples were carried around too long. Even the examiner knew Courtney for a long time. It even made the famous program unsolved mysteries so going by that alone you would think there was good case for debate otherwise they wouldn't air it. Let alone the other facts.

"who killed kurt cobain" by Hallperin and Wallce, a great read if you haven't already.

Last edited by skeg; 08-04-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM
RWD Pete
Banned
BANNED

Christ time fly's!!

Good musician but millions and habbits dont mix
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

at least the foo fighters was something great to come out of it
Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Elwood

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
It does make you wonder if Grohl would have got involved with the Foo Fighters had Nirvan stayed together. The band may have matured for all we know and gone from strength to strength
Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by skeg
Fair comments and view. For me though it was highly likely to not be suicide. I like Nirvana and a lot of their songs but not one of those who has every single cd and wore their t-shirts, i could name loads of bands i like more but after reading that book after it was lent to me i was just shocked. I always went by what i heard people say or the news, but then you would.

It has all the police reports, prints, statements and the letter in the book plus all the events and there are just too many dodgy things going on. Especially when you bear in mind that OJ got off in USA because some blood samples were carried around too long. Even the examiner knew Courtney for a long time. It even made the famous program unsolved mysteries so going by that alone you would think there was good case for debate otherwise they wouldn't air it. Let alone the other facts.

"who killed kurt cobain" by Hallperin and Wallce, a great read if you haven't already.

yeh i have the book. but again its just another persons interpretation of events. it got me thinking alot, but i think its mostly i just couldnt accept that someone (fingers are pointed at his wife courtney) would murder him?. i think id rather live knowing he was responsible, untill its proven otherwise. just look ad Diana this week. over 10 years on, an inquest which cost the tax payer 8million, and the outcome was what we knew all along. a drunk driver going too fast and lack of seatbelts!!

i have loads of vids, (yeh im obsessed you could say, but we all have things that drive us) i have the nick broomfield, who killled kurt. and have a few others along the same lines. but at the end of it all, theres still not enough proof either way.

the only fact is hes gone, and music is much worse off for it!

The foo's are great, purley dave grohls band, hes the talent force in there, and definatly an extension of nirvana. Remember it was dave who gave nirvana the raw edge which made nevermind famous. I carved my way through 1000's of people from the beer tent and got 3 "rows" to the front of the stage when they played in glasgow. heres a song called marrigold which nirvana were gna put on an album. but it never made it so, dave released it in the foos. great song written buy dave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0L5umsGiMg

i think kurt had given up on nirvana, hed bleed it dry and wanted it to go into a different direction. he wasnt the grunge god people bang on about. he wanted to chill out and go acoustic, as thats where his heart always laid.

if theres one link you need to see its this, its kurt giving an interview a few months before he died. so sad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwcueKc97X0
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Mike C
The Special One

I'd like to believe it was NOT suicide, but having read several books on it, watched several programmes, etc, I think it must have been tbh...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Mike C
I'd like to believe it was NOT suicide, but having read several books on it, watched several programmes, etc, I think it must have been tbh...
yeh my point too. have u looked at the above link, i think it will reinforce you conclusion
Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

For me though it was highly likely to not be suicide.
Al Qaeda dun it.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
cressy
PassionFord Post Troll

14yrs ago fook me like many have said a legend.nevermind is in my cd player at the mo live in new york still gives me goose bumps

R.I.P KURT
Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 PM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by focuschivvy
Have you ever been to Glastonbury?

Fuck who's headlining,There is far more to it than music,You dont see half of it on T.V.

And as for Nirvana,Fucking loved them,Still have an unused gig ticket that i never got to go to after his death lol.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by cressy
14yrs ago fook me like many have said a legend.nevermind is in my cd player at the mo live in new york still gives me goose bumps

R.I.P KURT
nevermind is great, but their older and rares songs are far better, all my bootlegs are constantly in a cd machine along with unplugged and in utero

bleach, nevermind, incesticide, muddy banks are great albums but i dont listen to them that often.

i know what u mean about goose bumps, theres only a few albums ive ever heard where every track is mindblowing. nevermind was spot on, 'led zep II' is one of them albums, and 'jimi hendrix electric lady land'
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just look ad Diana this week. over 10 years on, an inquest which cost the tax payer 8million, and the outcome was what we knew all along. a drunk driver going too fast and lack of seatbelts!!

There is a big difference between a car crash where the driver had been drinking and no seatbelts to someone who was found dead by an electrician/worker that was booked in by the fame seeking wife who was about to be divorced, set to lose millions and conveniently "out of the city on buisness" and rings the police on herself doing drugs in a hotel for a nice alibi.

Notes with 2 different sets of handwritting, no prints anywhere and a guy who did all that drugs and then lifted a gun up. Not to mention that dodgy male smackhead nanny they employed.

You'd just think the police would explore all avenues, just because someone talks or writes about suicide does not mean they will do it. Her own dad reckons she was involved, a man passed a lie detector test saying he was offered cash by her to kill him then later died and as i said they private dectective hired to find him when he went missing by her was positive she was at least involved, i don't think he was doing it for fame either as he lost everything and was proper run out of town by her. He even has phone recordings of her threatening to have someone sort him out. That guy knows more about it and was closer to the situation that you or i.

All there is to back up suicide was that he talked about it. Courtney love is dodgy as fuck and has a lot of money/power. Even more now.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

The whole world was crying when Kurt's gun went BANG!
When Eazy-E died though, it wasn't no thang
Rapper dies of A.I.D.S. but you hardly mention
Rocker blows his face off and becomes a legend
Heroin and a shotgun, a hero is made
Maybe I should do that shit so my family get paid
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

There is a big difference between a car crash where the driver had been drinking and no seatbelts to someone who was found dead by an electrician/worker that was booked in by the fame seeking wife who was about to be divorced, set to lose millions and conveniently "out of the city on buisness" and rings the police on herself doing drugs in a hotel for a nice alibi.

Notes with 2 different sets of handwritting, no prints anywhere and a guy who did all that drugs and then lifted a gun up. Not to mention that dodgy male smackhead nanny they employed.

You'd just think the police would explore all avenues, just because someone talks or writes about suicide does not mean they will do it. Her own dad reckons she was involved, a man passed a lie detector test saying he was offered cash by her to kill him then later died and as i said they private dectective hired to find him when he went missing by her was positive she was at least involved, i don't think he was doing it for fame either as he lost everything and was proper run out of town by her. He even has phone recordings of her threatening to have someone sort him out. That guy knows more about it and was closer to the situation that you or i.

All there is to back up suicide was that he talked about it. Courtney love is dodgy as fuck and has a lot of money/power. Even more now.
yeh i know all that, and it does all point towards it, but as said i just cant draw anyother conclusion untill the "truth" is finally discovered. only courtney knows what she did, none of us do. like i said something manipulative did happen, you can almost say he was forced into it. but for now id like to think that he pulled that trigger, even if it wernt 100% his idea.

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
The whole world was crying when Kurt's gun went BANG!
When Eazy-E died though, it wasn't no thang
Rapper dies of A.I.D.S. but you hardly mention
Rocker blows his face off and becomes a legend
Heroin and a shotgun, a hero is made
Maybe I should do that shit so my family get paid
mate no offence but the irony in your post answers your own question

heroin and shotgun was a tradgey
kurts unique tallent as a song writer, lyrics writer, artist, his views on politics, women and the world in general made him a hero.
not to mention he was the spokes person for a generation of people who had become dissilusioned with everything. people caould relate to him, he was a person with the same issues in life that we all faced, and whiles we all ignored these problems, he wrote songs about them. not some coporate rock star that the record company and the "fans" wanted him to be.

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 10-04-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 13-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

heroin and shotgun was a tradgey
kurts unique tallent as a song writer, lyrics writer, artist, his views on politics, women and the world in general made him a hero.
NO Offence taken, Im a fan of Kurts and Easy-E, I like a range of music however I feel its sad that a man who took his own life in such a tragic manner can be worshipped and a equally as talented man for his area of music who wished to live can be forgotten so quickly.

Kurt was talented, no doubt about that but he was unable to face the trauma's of life that many people have had to face at some point.. He took the chickens way out, it was simply his choice, it tragic that he did this but he's no hero. I find it ironic that many people remember such people with rose coloured tints.
People such as Easy-E who faced illness and death head on and attempted to do something positive during the time they had left should be remembered and hero worshipped more so than drugged up rockers who top themselves imho
Old 13-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Diamonds
at least the foo fighters was something great to come out of it
And Queens of the stone age!!
Old 13-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I was crushed the day I heard about Cobain, and I was a HUGE fan for several years before that. I was stil a fan for several years after. I'm not a fan so much these days tho... Whilst I can totally identify, being a bit older a wiser now, I have no sympathy for someone that has commited suicide in these circumstances. Someone who commits suicide because they are repeatedly abused, beaten, in pain etc then sure, but someone who has the world in their hands, their whole life ahead of them and opportunities and doors open for them that the majority of the world population will never have - sorry, no sympathy....
Old 14-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Thrush
I was crushed the day I heard about Cobain, and I was a HUGE fan for several years before that. I was stil a fan for several years after. I'm not a fan so much these days tho... Whilst I can totally identify, being a bit older a wiser now, I have no sympathy for someone that has commited suicide in these circumstances. Someone who commits suicide because they are repeatedly abused, beaten, in pain etc then sure, but someone who has the world in their hands, their whole life ahead of them and opportunities and doors open for them that the majority of the world population will never have - sorry, no sympathy....
yeh i see what you say, and yeh he dont need no sympathy. but it was down to illness. he had major stomach pains since he was in his teens. (My best mate had the same problem and it took them over two years to sort her out, she was very ill, and were medically 14 years advanced now!!)[ps, if ur reading this babe, maby u wana elaborate on how ill u were?x]
He took drugs to "medicate" his pains and even in this interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlEU0...eature=related
he says hed rather die than live with the ever increasing pains he gets.
there other links but the above 22 secs, i figgured people wont wana sit there for 5-6-7 mins.

even in his "suicide" (as theres some conspiracy here) note most of it reads as a resignation from the band and that he cant live with the pain in his stomach.
it wasnt just about greed and having it all and throwing it away. im not saying what he did was right but he did have "valid" reasons as you agree "Someone who commits suicide because they are repeatedly abused, beaten, in pain etc then sure"

Kurts suicide note: (bodda was his imaginary childhood friend)
read buy his wife courtney, if your too lazy to read it for ur self
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEkpc...eature=related

or

To Boddah
Speaking from the tongue of an experienced simpleton who obviously would rather be an emasculated, infantile complain-ee. This note should be pretty easy to understand.

All the warnings from the punk rock 101 courses over the years, since my first introduction to the, shall we say, ethics involved with independence and the embracement of your community has proven to be very true. I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music along with reading and writing for too many years now. I feel guity beyond words about these things.

For example when we're back stage and the lights go out and the manic roar of the crowds begins., it doesn't affect me the way in which it did for Freddie Mercury, who seemed to love, relish in the the love and adoration from the crowd which is something I totally admire and envy. The fact is, I can't fool you, any one of you. It simply isn't fair to you or me. The worst crime I can think of would be to rip people off by faking it and pretending as if I'm having 100% fun. Sometimes I feel as if I should have a punch-in time clock before I walk out on stage. I've tried everything within my power to appreciate it (and I do,God, believe me I do, but it's not enough). I appreciate the fact that I and we have affected and entertained a lot of people. It must be one of those narcissists who only appreciate things when they're gone. I'm too sensitive. I need to be slightly numb in order to regain the enthusiasms I once had as a child.

On our last 3 tours, I've had a much better appreciation for all the people I've known personally, and as fans of our music, but I still can't get over the frustration, the guilt and empathy I have for everyone. There's good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too fucking sad. The sad little, sensitive, unappreciative, Pisces, Jesus man. Why don't you just enjoy it? I don't know!

I have a goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy and a daughter who reminds me too much of what i used to be, full of love and joy, kissing every person she meets because everyone is good and will do her no harm. And that terrifies me to the point to where I can barely function. I can't stand the thought of Frances becoming the miserable, self-destructive, death rocker that I've become.
I have it good, very good, and I'm grateful, but since the age of seven, I've become hateful towards all humans in general. Only because it seems so easy for people to get along that have empathy. Only because I love and feel sorry for people too much I guess.

Thank you all from the pit of my burning, nauseous stomach for your letters and concern during the past years. I'm too much of an erratic, moody baby! I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out than to fade away.
Peace, love, empathy.
Kurt Cobain

Frances and Courtney, I'll be at your alter.
Please keep going Courtney, for Frances.
For her life, which will be so much happier without me.

I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!

Old 14-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Pittsy

Originally Posted by focuschivvy
lmao
Old 14-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very sad, especially when you read the letter