General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford focus 04 plate Lambda sensor query?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Kris_23
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford focus 04 plate Lambda sensor query?!

My boss has a focus 1.6, His engine light came on so took it to a local garage who informed him (from taking a diagnostics reading) That his Lambda sensor was on the way out. He said he had fixed it for now but one of the two sensors had failed or was failing and this would be around £400 to fix (as he advised both would need replacing) if the engine management light came on again.

This morning the light has come on again, so just querying if the price quoted is too much?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Kris_23; 02-04-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

there are two sensors, one being post cat and one being pre cat but £400 is fucking daylight robbery!!!

You literally unscrew the old ones out, screw the new ones in and reset the eml light!

The sensors are expensive if you get the from ford but I got mine off ebay for I think £30 or something for a genuine bosch sensor. Ask boschman on here (Ima Racing) he might be able to get you some.

And £400 is way over the top for 2 lambda sensors!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Kris_23

Originally Posted by pani_k
there are two sensors, one being post cat and one being pre cat but £400 is fucking daylight robbery!!!

You literally unscrew the old ones out, screw the new ones in and reset the eml light!

The sensors are expensive if you get the from ford but I got mine off ebay for I think £30 or something for a genuine bosch sensor. Ask boschman on here (Ima Racing) he might be able to get you some.

And £400 is way over the top for 2 lambda sensors!
Cheers pal was just about to edit post i knew it was one before and after tripping out!

So they dont have to be ford parts? as i have a mate at ford that can get discounts, or would ebay be cheaper?
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Kris_23

Also does this need to be fixed asap or is it purely for emmisions/MOT purposes?
Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

is not detrimental to performance or engine safety or anything. just means there is no closed loop system going on so the ecu doesnt know how rich/lean the exhaust is of fuel so is using a default map which is generally slightly rich so at worst your fuel consumption may not be all too amazing.

try go through ford to see how much they are and then fitting should be an absolute doddle and dont foget to clear the eml codes when you fit the new sensors.

Actually, get it on diagnostics if you can and see if its both sensors need replacing, might not be.

edit: sensors are made by bosch anyway mate not ford

Last edited by pani_k; 02-04-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Kris_23

Originally Posted by pani_k
is not detrimental to performance or engine safety or anything. just means there is no closed loop system going on so the ecu doesnt know how rich/lean the exhaust is of fuel so is using a default map which is generally slightly rich so at worst your fuel consumption may not be all too amazing.

try go through ford to see how much they are and then fitting should be an absolute doddle and dont foget to clear the eml codes when you fit the new sensors.

Actually, get it on diagnostics if you can and see if its both sensors need replacing, might not be.
The "mechanic/cowboy" said that one of the sensors was faulty but due to this the other one may be faulty aswel as it has had extra load on it? and that the leaving it unfixed will damage the CAT?

Also he lives miles away from me (we both work in london but commute to work) so i cant help him with fitting.

Mechanic also said the exhaust may need to be dropped to get at the sensors is this true?

Just want to get an idea of how long it should take (big/small job) that warrents £200 fitting?

Sorry for all the questions mate.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Well its a 1.6 so exhaust configuration will be different to what I have but I dont see any reason why it cant be gotten up on ramps with the sensors easily accessible

And as for damaging the cat, yes it is possible and yes the other one could be damaged due to running rich but from my own experience, the ecu map is not a hell of a lot richer by any means at all and if this issue is recent, its unlikely to have caused any damage at all.

You can even jack the car up and have a look for yourself mate. Lambda sensors iirc are green things. and you should be able to find them near the cat pretty easily. Will be poking out around it with wires going up to the engine bay

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ford sensers are about £70 iirc, it's possible the eshaust will need to be removed, but i highly doubt it. if he's unsure what senser needs to be replaced, i'd advise your boss took the car to a ford garage. it's highly unlikely the 2nd senser will need to be replaced, if driven for a while though it will damage the cat and i think the cat and manifold is one piece on these=expensive.
Old 23-01-2015, 07:06 PM
leanne.mo
Virgin

My brother who isnt a trained machanic changed both my lambda sensors on my ford fiesta today took him all of 30min and put it on the dignostic machine and cleared fault. Sensora cost just under 80for both