General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fitting a larger intake throttle body...

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2008, 08:46 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a larger intake throttle body...

This applies to any car really but just trying to figure something out at the moment.

I tried a few months ago fitting a 65mm throttle body to my car and it didnt like it, said TPS was out of range and other bollocks so fucked it off and reverted to standard.

Somebody I know has just tried doing the same thing to his focus and the idle was up down all over the place and was popping and banging like anti lag gone wrong.

I take this to be the ECU rejecting the throttle body and can't map itself for the larger intake and thus screwing up the fuelling and thinking the car is on part throttle all the time.

Basically, what I want to know is, all the cossie people especially that have 70mm jobbies fitted, in order for these bigger throttle bodies to run correctly, do you have to map your ECU to accomodate them?

So basically if I tried fitting another one, I know it would do the same stuff again and not run properly, but if I got my ECU custom mapped (not a plug and play bluefin like I have now) like at TOTD or something, could they map it to run correctly with a bigger throttle body and so the ECU wouldnt say the TPS is out of range or not fuelling correctly?

Thanks