General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what job should i go for

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2008, 11:27 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up what job should i go for

where do i start im doing the highest course in mechanics at my college im doing another 2 yrs after this in the highest enginnering course. should i go to university and get more skills

what ever i decide i will do where is the best jobs and money i want to apply my skills to more than just a mechanic at a local garage i want a job that has loads of money lol but is it better to get into engenering if where wot sort of money am i expecting i really need help

go to uni yes or no

wot job
wot profeesion
money wise
Old 15-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i'll give you an insight to my life a few years ago...

I'd finished my AVCE at the National College for Motorsport and had applied and been accepted for 2 different routes.

1 of them was to study Motorsport Engineering at degree level at Oxford, the other was an apprenticeship at Honda Racing F1 Team.

I had to choose whether i wanted to be an academic or hands on. I chose hands on and haven't regretted it yet.

So far i've had the privilege of working on F1 cars, 9 second drag evos, race winning time attack cars, 1000bhp jap stuff and now the weird, wonderful and fast creations that pass through the doors at Motorsport Developments.

I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if i'd taken the academic route, but the concept of sitting behind a computer in a drawing office doesn't give me the same buzz.

The big money is in designing but the fun is on the spanners
Old 15-03-2008, 11:43 PM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I'm not in this field and Will has given you an answer already but as you aren't being offered an apprenticeship with and F1 team I would say go to Uni!
I still regret not going myself and am even considering going now as a mature student (mainly for the birds mind but still )
Old 15-03-2008, 11:45 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

engineering is different to the mechanic courses you've been going on mate... if you intend to go to uni to study an engineering degree then fuck the 2yrs doing a mechanics course off as it wont really help you with the engineering degree.

Engineering degree is meant to be the second hardest degree to do.. only one harder is to study to be a doctor...

Also you may not get on without good grades in the sciences and maths...maybe use the next 2yrs to do A levels as A level maths is about the minimum you need for engineering.....some of my mates say it's like doing a maths degree and a science degree with a bit of design thrown in there for extra measures.

Hope this info helps..I personally did a HND in engineering and it gets very hard for someone without A level maths and science...hence I didnt continue to degree level...I've done well though and now got a 30k engineering job @ 25 yrs old and I started as an apprentice fabricator/welder at 16yrs old.

Dan

Last edited by SillyFezzaMk1; 15-03-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 15-03-2008, 11:46 PM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

p.s. An engineering degree with open up a lot of doors to all sorts of professions..
Old 15-03-2008, 11:49 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

so will how much u take home month/yr lol is it alot or not
Old 15-03-2008, 11:51 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

im got told by my tutor tht its better to have an engineering background aswell and i if i went to college i would do mechanics probs not engineering
Old 15-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Big Will_

Lets just say i started my apprenticeship on £11k and i earn a fair bit more than that now - but not as much as Dan.

I think i'm on an acceptable wage for my age (22).
Old 15-03-2008, 11:53 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

how did u got the honda f1 job u do it yourself ask them etc
Old 15-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Renton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmack99
where do i start im doing the highest course in mechanics at my college im doing another 2 yrs after this in the highest enginnering course. should i go to university and get more skills

what ever i decide i will do where is the best jobs and money i want to apply my skills to more than just a mechanic at a local garage i want a job that has loads of money lol but is it better to get into engenering if where wot sort of money am i expecting i really need help

go to uni yes or no

wot job
wot profeesion
money wise
The best jobs are the ones you look forward to doing when you wake up, not always the ones that pay the most. If you get both those boxes filled, then bingo.

Personally, I've got to where I am by starting at the bottom, learning the trade, doing the courses as they come along, then working my way up. I have no degree, and I have several people with degrees who work for me (and I don't mean that in a gobby way). If you want to get into a profession which needs a degree, go to uni. If you're not sure, go and get your hands dirty. That will help you decide where you want to go.
Old 15-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Big Will_

Responded to a national advert in autosport magazine.

A lot of F1/WRC teams will take on apprentices, but be warned - it's a tough selection...

I think 500 people applied for the Honda ones and they took 7 of us and that was after 3 academic exams and 2 face to face interviews.

I applied for Prodrive before Honda and i failed the selection because i dropped a bolt on a timed suspension strut/brake caliper removal and renewal at the last stage!
Old 15-03-2008, 11:59 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

cheers guys getting a good idea on wot i might do
Old 16-03-2008, 12:01 AM
madmack99
I Love BooST

will unlucky m8 with the prodrive selection lol tbh i wouldnt mine just gettinga job and then buying in to a garage and would love to own my own garage for tune ups etc with a bit of enginnering can also modyfy make parts lol so getting a picture in my head on wot to do
Old 16-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Big Will_

Oh and Renton has hit the nail on the head.

I might not be earning the same money now as if i'd stayed in F1, but i work with good people, i learn something new everyday and i enjoy going to work. (Most of the time )

Quality of life is more important than money!
Old 16-03-2008, 12:05 AM
madmack99
I Love BooST

yh i agree with renton 100% its just i dnt no wot to do my tutor is a dick and think sits easy but i no it aint its hard work to get into f1 and tht just needed some help cheers
Old 16-03-2008, 12:06 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Will @ M Developments
Oh and Renton has hit the nail on the head.

I might not be earning the same money now as if i'd stayed in F1, but i work with good people, i learn something new everyday and i enjoy going to work. (Most of the time )

Quality of life is more important than money!
Spot on

I'm considering going back to study for a degree, this year will be the decider for me.
Old 16-03-2008, 12:19 AM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

quality of live and loving your job are the most important things over money I do agree with that....

But you have to weigh up all the pros and cons and strike a good balance...I have had seriously shit jobs in the past welding skips 14/7 to pay bills and save for house deposit, working for a car tuner who paid me £200 a week (when he felt like it) and have had my fair share of shit when doing my apprenticeship welding and fabricating...

Now I have managed to find a job that draws on all of my practical engineering skills, lets me get hands on but pays like a desk engineers job...i'd say i'll be 70/30 desk/workshop developing new machines and working onprojects...It's hard for me to tell yet but I do think i'll love this job and it was the right move for me from my last job.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do matey....I'm all for studying whilst you work as i think emplyers know how much more effort it requires to do work & study over being a student full time.

I dont know much about the mechanics courses available at colleges or uni but my advice would be to go for it mate and get on the hardest and best course you can to better yourself and ultimately create a better life for yourself.

Dan

Last edited by SillyFezzaMk1; 16-03-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 16-03-2008, 12:25 AM
madmack99
I Love BooST

yh tbh i no i wont get good money as soon as i leave education so i might get the most education and grades and leave education with a fair few skills under my belt tht way with enginnering and mechanics i got 2 paths to go for who know i might get a job that needs both fingers crossed