General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Double Glazing

Search this Thread

Old 14-03-2008, 08:28 AM
smokey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Glazing

Any recomendations and firms to avoid like the plague?

And why do dg salemen always insist on you and your partner being present?

Ta
Old 14-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason they always want you and your partner there, is so that they avoid the old '' ok thanks for the quote, i'll have to speak to my partner first'' response!

They basically want both decision makers in front of them so they can try and 'close' you there and then.

Personally, if you have an Anglian Windows near you, they are the people i would highly recommend. They aren't the cheapest, but you get a 10 year guarantee, and they are a company that have been round a good amount of time to be able to back up what they say they will do.
Old 14-03-2008, 11:21 AM
smokey

Thanks Maria.

I supposes its more of less the same techniques used in all sales jobs.
Old 14-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

10 year gaurantee but probably 2 or 3 times the price you should be paying......
Old 14-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

always alway negotiate, you sure as hell dont pay the first price they give you.

Double glazing firms always have about a 70% mark up.

I had big victorian windows x 8 and a new front and back door all for £3400!! Now i think thats bloody good.

Plus with ANglian, you know the windows are specifically made for you! Not just 'off the self''
Old 14-03-2008, 01:59 PM
smokey

Originally Posted by maria
always alway negotiate, you sure as hell dont pay the first price they give you.

Double glazing firms always have about a 70% mark up.

I had big victorian windows x 8 and a new front and back door all for £3400!! Now i think thats bloody good.

Plus with ANglian, you know the windows are specifically made for you! Not just 'off the self''
That is bloody good. Thats with Anglia I take it?

I was quoted £10450 for 9 windows and one back door. He made some adjustments for discounts and came to £5k, then phones up a day later and says the best offer was £4300. Maybe I can bring it down more.
Old 14-03-2008, 05:00 PM
ALL4SHOW
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

most of the bigger ones carry a 10yr guarantee i fit them for a large company in the north west & most of the big places have the same set up just make sure that ANY place you use are FENSA registered as its a goverment thing that you need a certificate to say they have been fitted right plus if the place that fits them goes under the guarantee is still in place so it will get fixed or replaced by another fensa company & when you sell the house the guarentee stays with the house just remember to read ALL the small print as normal because some places promise you the moon on a stick & there is only so much fitters can do if you have problems with your house so you might need a bricky & a plasterer as ive seen a few problems when the windows come out like a new window leveled up & the house has bad subsidance they all looked on the p**s !!! do you want new window boards inside remember to ask,alarm contacts have to be refitted by the alarm company anything else you need to know send me a pm & i will answer it if i know

Trending Topics

Old 14-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by smokey
That is bloody good. Thats with Anglia I take it?

I was quoted £10450 for 9 windows and one back door. He made some adjustments for discounts and came to £5k, then phones up a day later and says the best offer was £4300. Maybe I can bring it down more.

Quite possibly?! if you make them an iffer, 9 times out of 10 they will then come back to you with their bottom line!
Old 16-03-2008, 10:53 AM
martinmilne
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HI i work for a small window company for 3 years now and went for a job with anglian a few weeks ago they go in well over the price they can do then keep given you discounts to lure you in. they just get the job done and dont account for any hold ups so rush the job even my company give a 10 year guarantee sometimes smaller companys do a better job because they are trying to make good name for themselves where as anglian already a nationwide company and looking for profit if you would like some advice just ask or pm me hope this helps
Old 16-03-2008, 11:02 AM
davsmith64

i work for safestyle uk / windowstyle, we manufacture the windows and doors, they also come with 10yrs guarantee but i wont buy mine from there even tho i get 40% discount!!!!
they are rough as fook, but they are clamping on QC checking big time now!!
Old 16-03-2008, 11:04 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

there is a firm down the road that we use

and there is some sort of certificate you need, fensa or the like, to show they've been instaled properly
Old 16-03-2008, 02:32 PM
SEAN
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

You should receive a 10 yr guarantee on the profile 5 years plus on the DG units you will only receive 1 year on the hardware.
Make sure the units have both K Glass/low E Glass and that they are gas filled-normally Argon.
Also make sure the company are members of the GGF or similar and have the relevant EN/BS certifications.
Also go for a 70mm wide profile 65mm face depth preferably a German extruded system Alusplast/Rehau etc
Make sure they are internally glazed.
Get them to fit split spindle door locks anti snap cylinders and shootbolt espags on the windows Ask are the windows manufactured to Secure by Design approval/Police Authority approval or do they have the certificate
Also ask to see the energy rating certificate for the windows and make sure it has a U Value of at least 1.8
If they are fitting them get them to point the outside,use expanding foam and re-plaster the inside and not use pvc trims also get them to fit internal cills on the price

Hope this helps

Cheers Sean..........
Old 17-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

We only use SASH UK for windows and they are of a very high standard. Id have to see and check the Anglian windows for me to believe they are of good quality at £3500 fitted!
Old 17-03-2008, 08:18 PM
kiddie

Originally Posted by SEAN
You should receive a 10 yr guarantee on the profile 5 years plus on the DG units you will only receive 1 year on the hardware.
Make sure the units have both K Glass/low E Glass and that they are gas filled-normally Argon.
Also make sure the company are members of the GGF or similar and have the relevant EN/BS certifications.
Also go for a 70mm wide profile 65mm face depth preferably a German extruded system Alusplast/Rehau etc
Make sure they are internally glazed.
Get them to fit split spindle door locks anti snap cylinders and shootbolt espags on the windows Ask are the windows manufactured to Secure by Design approval/Police Authority approval or do they have the certificate
Also ask to see the energy rating certificate for the windows and make sure it has a U Value of at least 1.8
If they are fitting them get them to point the outside,use expanding foam and re-plaster the inside and not use pvc trims also get them to fit internal cills on the price

Hope this helps

Cheers Sean..........
Its law that they have to be PK/LowE but unless the unit is 20mm overall or under then it doesn't need gas. Anglian are over priced, I'd ring a local fitter. You'd get it cheaper and good service. I had my whole house fitted for £1k but I got the units free as I'm in the trade
Old 17-03-2008, 08:19 PM
ultimate
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

avoid safestyle!!

got my windows done and had problems with the handles and locks on them and they told me they were not covered in the guarantee!!
they also gave me loads of abuse over the phone!!

i used a small local company now and the job from start to finish was mint , top quality windows and frames too
Old 17-03-2008, 08:23 PM
kiddie

Originally Posted by ultimate
avoid safestyle!!

got my windows done and had problems with the handles and locks on them and they told me they were not covered in the guarantee!!
they also gave me loads of abuse over the phone!!

i used a small local company now and the job from start to finish was mint , top quality windows and frames too
Small companies are the way to go, no high pressure salesman
Old 17-03-2008, 08:30 PM
nickscunny

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davsmith64
i work for safestyle uk / windowstyle, we manufacture the windows and doors, they also come with 10yrs guarantee but i wont buy mine from there even tho i get 40% discount!!!!
they are rough as fook, but they are clamping on QC checking big time now!!

I used you guys last year for 4 windows, 2 at front and 2 at back. I cant fault the installation and quality one bit, friendly fitters too and they cleaned up after themselves......

We had the most expensive ones fitted, the same ones as the Everest Company do. I cant remember what they are called now without digging the docs back out.