General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Set my fish tank back up :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set my fish tank back up :)

No pics yet as there's just gravel in it

Got the nice black gravel though so we'll see how it goes. I found out recently that plants will always go to shit in a tank with an undergravel filter in place so may reluctantly leave this tank unplanted and just use a lot of rocks.

I think I'm going to try keeping cichlids this time and hopefully I'll get something nice and colourful

As it stands I need some new kit. I need a bigger heater although my buddy has one I gave him that he no longer uses so I'll get that back. I need a hood, and I need the lights. My old ones are fooked now, and also need a new powerhead really although the one I have still runs, just weakly.

The tank has a badly chipped corner and I'm unsure as to whether it leaks ever so slightly, but was wondering if I could just put some silicone over the corner and seal it that way if it is??

Anyone got an y tips or advice? It's been a long time and I wasn't exactly a pro last time I kept fish!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 PM
BlueSmoke

for advice etc!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
picky775
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

you should just be able to get sum silicone from a pet shop,you need to use the correct stuff otherwise normal silicone may put toxins into the water and kill whatever fish you put in the tank.hope this helps
Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
lardypants
Banned

as one goes up another goes down

decided to get rid mine, just the one pirhanna left now, still fun to see him eat whole slices of ham in 3 bites though lol

anyways ive completely lost interest and hjave got a 3 foot pine tanks that will be available soon if anyone wants to make a bid, just gotta find a home for the fishy first

and say hi to the bigh man himself all on his own

Last edited by lardypants; 09-03-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

If you want to keep chichilids then you will need to keep the ph fairly high. I have discus in my tanks although one of the tanks is empty as I got it drilled yesterday to put a drain in it so I can auto change the water. Have a look on ebay for heaters as I have a titanium 500 watt one with an external thermostat and it works great. They do smaller ones as well. I have just bought a Tetratec 1200 external filter and a 300 watt external heater which goes inline between the filter and the tank so no unsightly heaters in the tank.

Graham
Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
BlueSmoke

Cheers folks.

I found a slight pool of water this morning but dunno if it was just from all the condensationt hat was on the outside of the tank last night or it it's actually leaking..... Should know by this evening. I hope I can silicone it up if it is, but is it right that it will need about a week to set?!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
picky775
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
Cheers folks.

I found a slight pool of water this morning but dunno if it was just from all the condensationt hat was on the outside of the tank last night or it it's actually leaking..... Should know by this evening. I hope I can silicone it up if it is, but is it right that it will need about a week to set?!
the silicone from the pet shops is normaly 24 hours cureing time.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2008, 03:57 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Yo dude just been to pets at home at Colton for a look....

Came back 15 quid down with 5 zebra danios and 2 dwarf gouramis, and some potted plants oh...and a fish ornament for adeles goldfish tank

The gouramis look awesome

<--- like that
Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
BlueSmoke

Gouramis should be kept in more than a pair apparently Dave....
Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taz
If you want to keep chichilids then you will need to keep the ph fairly high. I have discus in my tanks although one of the tanks is empty as I got it drilled yesterday to put a drain in it so I can auto change the water. Have a look on ebay for heaters as I have a titanium 500 watt one with an external thermostat and it works great. They do smaller ones as well. I have just bought a Tetratec 1200 external filter and a 300 watt external heater which goes inline between the filter and the tank so no unsightly heaters in the tank.

Graham
any pics of your set up, im about to fit a fishtank into a wall at the side of my chiminey, wanna get the tank as user friendly as poss and as least amount of hassle changing the water as poss

id like to get external filters and heater too,,,, was gonna try and use the filter to help do water changes but more info on this drilling if you dont mind !
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
Gouramis should be kept in more than a pair apparently Dave....
I read that if you have more than two they can wreak havoc attacking other fish

Damn the internet and it's confusing information
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

Hi guys, heres a couple of pics of what I have done to the small tank. The bigger one is getting done now and was drilled yesterday by my local fish shop. First of all is the drain in the tank. I made this using a tank connector in plastic with an elbow upright and in this I have drilled holes radially to maintain a constant level in the tank. See below.

Next it is connected to a drain using solvent connections to the nearest waste pipe. I made sure I had a bit sticking up on the top so I can put my tube from the syphon into it and it goes diretcly down the drain. See below.

Finally for the input to the tank. I am lucky in Scotland as I have soft water and can take my HMA water straight into my tank. As a southern softy you may need to mix HMA with RO water to go directly into the tank. From the HMA I have John Guest ro pipe through a flow restrictor and an on off valve so I can control the amount of water going in and when it goes in. Finally as you will see from the pic I put a float valve in the tank as a belt and braces to stop overflowing the tank but I have omitted this from my current set up I am doing as the drain will keep the height constant and if you do not have a fast flow into the tank it will be safe enough. See below

So basically I do not need to carry water to and from the tank. I can allow it to change the water without having to syphon but I still do it as my fish like the temp change as they are from the Amazon and are used to it with the downpours. All these things help to make it an easier hobby to have.

Now the best bit here are some pics of my fish.

Old 15-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taz Nice one... that would make looking after the fish a whole load easier.
Old 15-12-2008, 10:59 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

i still don't believe that people just buy fish on impulse.

I don't mean to be rude mate, but you already know you have a leaking tank, and need to buy a few more things before you even start thinking about a fishless cycle?

What's that i hear you say, fishless cycle? Well basicially it's getting the levels of bacteria high enough to get rid of the ammonia that the fish produce.

If i were you, i'd expect to have some dead fish pretty soon and be weighing out another 15 quid, hopefully after a fishless cycle in about 6 weeks!

EDIT: My mistake, wasn't the same person buying the fish as the OP, but i think the OP should be aware of the importance of fishless cycling.

Last edited by northernmonkey; 15-12-2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Coz i'm thick and can't remember who's posting what.