General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help Needed (Body Shop Experts)

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2008, 12:52 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Help Needed (Body Shop Experts)

Hi, some advice needed chaps, what's the best way to repair this, I'm not looking for a quick fix just want to do it right, looks like water has been leaking in for quite some time?
As you can see from the photos It's a bit of a mess especially cos It's in the double skinned area of the foot-well
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed (Body Shop Experts)-000_0101.jpg  

Last edited by tosh; 16-07-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 24-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics are a bit small, but only looks like surface rust from what is visible!

you can either, sand blast it (buy a gun from screwfix £15.99 and plug to compressor) the best most through way, as it get to all areas but the sand will get places you didnt even know you could find sand even your bell end!

or if you want less mess but more effort, buy a zip wheel (about £5-10) pounds it attaches on to a drill and removes the paint and rust to bare metal. tho you will have key it after for paint as it will smooth the metal.
buy the best zip you can find, as the cheaper ones fire out wires and you will look like a metal hedgehog. i speak from experience?

dont bother with paint stripper and the likes, its a load of crap.

when the paint is removed. from the pics no welding is needed?

you then want to give it a coat of zinc acid primer, to stop any further rust and also act as a key as it melts onto the metal surface.

then primer it a few coats, wet n dry.

then top coat it with 2pk if poss (idealy wear an air fed mask or hold yous bloody breath or you will fry your brains)

if you dont have a compressor, then go the the zip wheel, the zinc, primer and even 2pack top coat, could also be purchased in areosol cans. a can will cost about £12.
Old 24-02-2008, 04:45 PM
tosh

Sorry about the picks I could only work out how to ad the thumbnail photos on the new passionford layout as there used to be a photobucket tab on the old version, but i think if you click on the pictures it inlarges them.

Last edited by tosh; 24-02-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: cos I'm stupid
Old 24-02-2008, 05:17 PM
tosh

Just worked out how to upload photos from photobucket, OH the simple things in life "ME"

As you can see now with the large photos I think it's a bit more than a bit of surface rust it goes through to the jacking points on the underside, would I need to cut out both skins and then graft a doner patch in?
Old 24-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOHHh yes now you have the bigger pic, it looks a lot worse? (sorry)

has it been welded before? or is that over applied seam sealer from the factory.

Your going to need some welding. you could probably use some sheet steel for the repair, rather than have to graft in a front floor pannel.
Although personaly id chop out the whole section, and graft a new one in, 1 to keep it looking original, and 2 the rust will be completly cut away back to fresh metal.

Anyway, dont know what you skills are like, but its not a too bad a job, with some basic tools you could have it done in a weekend. if not it may be easier to send it away to a body shop.

ive worked on a lot worse, my S1 RST from the bulkhead foward had no front end left when i restored it, only the inner wing rails were left!!!!!

goodluck m8 should be an easy job for a professional welder.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:40 PM
tosh

Thank's for the reply lee, sorry for the late response been having some crappy AOL issues.

it has'nt been welded before anfact every other part is rot free "I think" as you said I think they were just a bit heavy on the seam sealer, I might have ago at cutting a square patch out of the inner skin the weekend, at least then I will be able to see how rotten the outer skin is without having to scrape of the under seal.