General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

porsche boxters

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2008, 05:13 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche boxters

what do people think of them?

i know porkie likes the way his drives.

are they just seen as a "cheap" porsche,hairdressers car etc or are they actually a decent car.just looking on ebay and there are a few 2.5 and 2.7 ones for fair money.

please bear with me as the m3 has gone and i cant decide what to buy
Old 15-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

EVO, Join the club I did!!!!
Old 15-02-2008, 05:16 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven a couple, S and non S, really can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest ... Not fast at all, handling is reasonable but nothing out of this world, and just boring really .... Make a nice noise, thats about it though.... just an average sports convertable, if you are used to performance cars you will be very dissapointed imho.

Waiting for the flames from Porkie etc
Old 15-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was talking to a copper the other day and he said thatevery time he has been to an accident the driver was dead or very badly hurt that is enough to put me off
Old 15-02-2008, 05:46 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

BMW M Roadster seems to be very underrated imo.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:02 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

TBH i was never a fan of them until i went out with porkie down the lanes
Car was not fast, well compared to my sierra.But the handling was out of this world and my sierra would not have been anywhere near as quick down the same route, IMHO anyone who says they dont handle that well dont know how to peddle a car fast.
We was doing speeds of around 80 to 90 mph and it felt so sure footed it was unreal, must admit i did put my seatbelt on for the trip back though , i reckon the old 3dr would have only felt as sure footed at speeds of around 50 mph down the same lanes, if that
Old 15-02-2008, 06:04 PM
MK5RST
Advanced PassionFord User

poor mans 911

Trending Topics

Old 15-02-2008, 06:06 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ive driven them,, and i personally feel they are such a complete car with no drawbacks! apart from the fact everyone says to you "couldnt aford a 911"
Old 15-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by POPEYE
TBH i was never a fan of them until i went out with porkie down the lanes
Car was not fast, well compared to my sierra.But the handling was out of this world and my sierra would not have been anywhere near as quick down the same route, IMHO anyone who says they dont handle that well dont know how to peddle a car fast.
We was doing speeds of around 80 to 90 mph and it felt so sure footed it was unreal, must admit i did put my seatbelt on for the trip back though , i reckon the old 3dr would have only felt as sure footed at speeds of around 50 mph down the same lanes, if that
I remember that drive....

Thats why I love that car! get the roof down and blast down some lanes and you feel SOOO alive!

I don't know you that well Jay but they are not a car for you in my opinion.

They are a car to keep and enjoy and you won't appreciate them in a short period. For a man without a family they do EVERYTHING you ever want in a car really.... BUT they do have an image problem and are only 2 seaters... and standard they sound PONY!

not for you mate. Get a Skyline or better still another M5
Old 15-02-2008, 06:14 PM
polly_x

Jay, wife had a 2.7 for the last 3 years and just sold it. Ive had loadsa 911's that are faster but the Boxster is easily the most fun to drive. Not hugely fast in a 0-60 drag race but hey, its a Porsche not a chavved up Sierra so you dont really get involved in that!!

An excellent all round package of torque, handling and braking that never lets you down. You have to keep the 2.7 on the boil if your having a blat round the lanes but it makes you feel like your driving it.

Go manual though, tiptronic is poop and also try to get a 2003 model year as its got the better interior and bodywork.

No doubt Lee will agree.

Edit.....He already has!!!!

Stu
Old 15-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by GARETH T
ive driven them,, and i personally feel they are such a complete car with no drawbacks! apart from the fact everyone says to you "couldnt aford a 911"
actually that summed it up much better without my waffle

Nice one Garf!
Old 15-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by polly_x
Jay, wife had a 2.7 for the last 3 years and just sold it. Ive had loadsa 911's that are faster but the Boxster is easily the most fun to drive. Not hugely fast in a 0-60 drag race but hey, its a Porsche not a chavved up Sierra so you dont really get involved in that!!

An excellent all round package of torque, handling and braking that never lets you down. You have to keep the 2.7 on the boil if your having a blat round the lanes but it makes you feel like your driving it.

Go manual though, tiptronic is poop and also try to get a 2003 model year as its got the better interior and bodywork.

Stu
TOTALLY agree!
Old 15-02-2008, 06:17 PM
polly_x

Originally Posted by Porkie
Originally Posted by GARETH T
actually that summed it up much better without my waffle

Nice one Garf!
Yep, better than my waffle too.

You wont beat it for an all round package and price.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:20 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

trouble is they are in the same sort of area as a Z3, Audi TT etc..... To be fair I have only driven them for short blasts, half hour maybe at a time, and not down the B roads, but just never really liked them that much, and to be honest I preferred driving my mates new shape MX5 , might be that it takes a bit to get used to the engine being in the back But saying that I found an MR2 not very nice to drive either
Old 15-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
trouble is they are in the same sort of area as a Z3, Audi TT etc..... To be fair I have only driven them for short blasts, half hour maybe at a time, and not down the B roads, but just never really liked them that much, and to be honest I preferred driving my mates new shape MX5 , might be that it takes a bit to get used to the engine being in the back But saying that I found an MR2 not very nice to drive either
engines in the MIDDLE!

the new Mx5 is a FANTASTIC drivers car! off the radar really! Just has a HUGE image problem.... but it really is a proper car! It won drivers car of year in Autocar as I remember! beating all the supercars!! its the NUTS! but its more girly than Pink fluffy slippers!

as is the Boxster. Without wanting to sound like a prick... I have a few nice cars and (Polly has even cooler ones than me the lucky git) and we have lived with Boxsters for long times, and so if we say they are good.. they are! hope that comes across in the right way! don't wanna sound like a tosser!

BUT they are not for everyone and I don't think Jay will like one!

Weirdly, I was talking about my Boxster as this post came up as its currently with a mate. He is taking his missus away for long weekend and he is already totally in love with it!

Not driven mine for god knows how long! I have now decided I am going country lane blasting with it one night next week.... as I have a certain little lady who thinks Boxsters are wank and she needs convincing otherwise!
Old 15-02-2008, 06:30 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what abut atuned RX8

Dont know much about them but thought i would throw it in the mix
Old 15-02-2008, 06:34 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Dosn't come across wrong at all Porkie, but thats why there are loads of car makers out there as not everyone can agree on whats best.. I know the engines in the middle , sorry poor wording on my part.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by TIFF
what abut atuned RX8
Wank and poo looking and very ZZZZzzzzzz

Nissan 350Z though are

The answer to the question in your sig Tiff.... is in fact the picture in your sig
Old 15-02-2008, 06:42 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

what abut atuned RX8

Nissan 350Z though are

The answer to the question in your sig Tiff.... is in fact the picture in your sig
My mates got a twin turbo 350Z ... Not really a sports car but a great GT

http://www.350z-uk.com/forums/viewto...er=asc&start=0

i drove it, pulled 160 on the clock peice of piss on the Mike 5 private test track, in the rain and felt so solid and secure on the road, but throwing it around wet roundabouts you could really feel the weight of it, wouldn't like to get it too far out of shape at speed .... Very easy to drive sideways messing about though
Old 15-02-2008, 06:43 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lee

Old 15-02-2008, 10:10 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i dont think it really matters what car i have-after a month or so i will want sometjing else! hence the idea of a track car to keep for one purpose only.........

but i like buying cars,and cars i like or have never had but fancy-ie boxter or skyline gtr-im very lucky i have been able to afford certain cars i have always wanted ie-cosworths,m5/m3,imprezas,evo's,focus rs,etc etc etc

its great though that i can post up on here and get peoples opinions on different cars. that i havent had the pleasure of owning/using....

porkie-keep dropping that price on the 34,and ill own it soon!
Old 15-02-2008, 10:18 PM
zetecapri
2.0 16v Turbo

bearing in mind i used to hate these things, we got one traded in at work, a 2.5, and i went out in it and it was bloody awesome, and i relay didnt want to like it lol
Old 15-02-2008, 10:21 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no matter what people thinks and no matter who says it
a boxter looks like a birds car in my eyes

Old 15-02-2008, 10:25 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what abut atuned RX8

Nissan 350Z though are

my dad was looking at a new rx8-the dealer told him that some days it may not start from cold due to flooding,which would have to come to dealers to sort out.drink oil for fun.......hardly inspiring confidence from a main dealer........he bought a new bmw-again....
Old 15-02-2008, 10:39 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
what abut atuned RX8

Nissan 350Z though are

my dad was looking at a new rx8-the dealer told him that some days it may not start from cold due to flooding,which would have to come to dealers to sort out.drink oil for fun.......hardly inspiring confidence from a main dealer........he bought a new bmw-again....
why not get anothe bmw
Old 15-02-2008, 10:44 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
That's because the MR2 is much more rear engined than mid.

When I dropped the engine out of mine, I couldn't believe how much of it was hanging out over the rear wheels, rather than ahead of it.

The Boxster is much more mid than rear, and I absolutely love them.

In fact, my brother and I are shopping for one this week as it goes. He really fancies an S, even though it'll be down on performance from his Z3M.
Old 15-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

what abut atuned RX8
They were shit when they were new.

A mate of mine is a Porsche man, owned various models over the past 15 or so years and says the Boxster is the most useable fun he can get on the road from any Porsche.

As for being a poor mans 911, I wish I was poor enough to buy a Boxster
Old 15-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I sold my Boxster S after owning it for around 2 months, I found it boring tbh unless the traction control was off

Not a fast car at all but it does handle well.

If I was going to buy another fun car of a similar size I think I'd buy a BMW M Coupe.
Old 16-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Fiery Dragon
Virgin

ZM Coupe/Roadster, wont look as hard up and have a better handling/faster car
Old 16-02-2008, 07:14 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: porsche boxters

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
what do people think of them?

i know porkie likes the way his drives.

are they just seen as a "cheap" porsche,hairdressers car etc or are they actually a decent car.just looking on ebay and there are a few 2.5 and 2.7 ones for fair money.

please bear with me as the m3 has gone and i cant decide what to buy
Horses for courses of course, but I have driven a couple of Boxster S's, and I have found them to be a very very good car.

Without a doubt, you will miss that 'Turbo' acceleration, but frankly it is a significantly better car than most people (typically those that have never driven one) seem to give it credit for.

Not to be underestimated - I would observe that the car is extremely highly regarded by those that have driven it against other cars (ie Car journalists), and less well by those that are used to the run of the mill jap 4x4 stuff.

Drive one, and make your own mind up - but their lap times around the ring are respectable.

JJ
Old 16-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry but when i see one it always gives me the impression of , wannabee rich boy always some gay looking tosser with mirror boy looks who drives it with the roof down even in winter because the local slags think he looks cool ,,

Sorry to those who have them as im sure im wrong ,,they just give out that impression to me
Old 16-02-2008, 08:15 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
sorry but when i see one it always gives me the impression of , wannabee rich boy always some gay looking tosser with mirror boy looks who drives it with the roof down even in winter because the local slags think he looks cool ,,

Sorry to those who have them as im sure im wrong ,,they just give out that impression to me
You get all that from the car!!!!

Seriously - each car has an image, and the Ford Cosworth one is not one that sits well on most peoples shoulders (likewise any other japanese equivalent).

One mans shit is another mans gold.

If you can see through shit like the above, then you are left with actually a good car! And if you dont want to be hated by the likes of the above, then just leave the top up during the winter!

JJ
Old 16-02-2008, 08:21 AM
zetecapri
2.0 16v Turbo

one thing i did notice, its version of traction control, it pulls the clutch pedal down and you feel the clutch slipping, so you know youll be going through clutches if you have trc on
Old 16-02-2008, 08:30 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetecapri
one thing i did notice, its version of traction control, it pulls the clutch pedal down and you feel the clutch slipping, so you know youll be going through clutches if you have trc on
I thought it used the psm system as installed on the 911?
Old 16-02-2008, 10:10 AM
polly_x

Originally Posted by zetecapri

Thats got to be a contender for stupid post of the year?
Old 16-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Rob Virgo
Advanced PassionFord User

what about a honda s2000,revvy little rocket thats as far from a turbo rs as you can get.240 n/a puts a smile on your face tho in vtec.idles around town nicley as well no no need to scream it every where.seems to have a more manly image that the boxter/mx5.....whatever that means..

cheers
rob v
Old 16-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Tabz @ S.M.Auto's
BANNED
BANNED

Jay if you do end up buying one go for the 3.2s, just for after sales purposes.
Old 16-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

poor mans 911 and also :gayflag:
Old 16-02-2008, 11:54 AM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

i think there very nice car and alot around were i live and cheap price as said
you can drive around thinking your a lotto winner
Old 16-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

You get all that from the car!!!!

Seriously - each car has an image, and the Ford Cosworth one is not one that sits well on most peoples shoulders (likewise any other japanese equivalent).

One mans shit is another mans gold.

If you can see through shit like the above, then you are left with actually a good car! And if you dont want to be hated by the likes of the above, then just leave the top up during the winter!

JJ
Funny as fuck reply

Quick Reply: porsche boxters