General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Are Foci Rs over priced?
Yes
42.70%
No
57.30%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Focus Rs' are they overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both the RS and ST, but have always been drawn towards the RS

But I also need an EsCos (childhood dream and that)

Push comes to shove and I dont know what I would have over the ST or RS, been in a std ST and it was well down on power but great handling

I guess I need to have a go in both
Old 16-02-2008, 08:58 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
danneth

come on clever cunt why is a focus rs worth 7k extra over a leon cupra r

RWD_cossie_wil

Have you owned both

I'll answer that, its faster, better handling and as tuneable

Lookswise is down to taste

I dunno where you get £7k from because by the time you've owned it and sold it the FRS will have held its value a LOT better than the mass produced SEAT and the difference in purchase price will be offset a lot by the depreciation on the SEAT
Old 16-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mondeo Man

If you look at the prices of leons they dont seem to have dropped like a stone like everyone on hear is saying. Its not just the seat leon though you can pic up a lot better cars for the same money imo
Old 16-02-2008, 12:15 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

as said its deff supply and demand, thats why they were limited

andy
Old 16-02-2008, 12:32 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

danneth

come on clever cunt why is a focus rs worth 7k extra over a leon cupra r

RWD_cossie_wil

Have you owned both
7k go have a look on pistonheads there about the same money,

haven driven both the FRS is ALOT better then the cupra R IMO
Old 16-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

give them a couple of years and they will drop in value just like every other car cause there just not special like a 3 door cossie is. They will be worth the same in comparison like a series2 caue the general public and most motoring fans now couldnt give a fuck about an rs badge. An rs was something special years ago cause there was no other real great competitors unlike now.
Old 16-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

give them a couple of years and they will drop in value just like every other car cause there just not special like a 3 door cossie is. They will be worth the same in comparison like a series2 caue the general public and most motoring fans now couldnt give a fuck about an rs badge. An rs was something special years ago cause there was no other real great competitors unlike now.
I disagree.
Old 16-02-2008, 02:52 PM
AlexRS2782
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

How can you compare the FRS to a current used ST??? The FRS is a limited build RS car that as others have said is worth the money based on the market it is within. The ST is a mass produced car - so already there are more 1, 2 & 3 variants of the ST flooding the used market than there are FRS in the UK

If anything the price of good condition FRS will hold in a similar way to similar escos, etc, whereas the ST will ultimately end up in a few years worth less and could even become as common as a Saxo.

In relation to the comment of price in a few years for an FRS being similar to a Series2 well how does that work - they are totally different cars - one from the late 80's early '90's and the other made from 2002-2004???

I bought my standard FRS 2 1/2 years ago & paid £16k for a mint car which at the time was the average price for the car - nowadays the same mint FRS would probably sell around £14.5k/£15k to the right buyer at the higher end of the market. I dont see about £1to1.5k being a big loss in 2 & 1/2 years - The ST's devalue nearly 3 times as much in the space of the same time

Before people say i'm a typical RS owner slating the ST without ever driving one i'm not - about a year or so ago i was actually looking for a second car as a daily driver as the FRS had become a tuning project car - i went out in the ST and was bored - compared to the drive & feeling of the FRS the ST was too sedate - basically what you expect from an everyday mass produced car

Give me an FRS over an ST anyday
Old 16-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Diseasel

Originally Posted by AlexRS2782
How can you compare the FRS to a current used ST??? The FRS is a limited build RS car that as others have said is worth the money based on the market it is within. The ST is a mass produced car - so already there are more 1, 2 & 3 variants of the ST flooding the used market than there are FRS in the UK

If anything the price of good condition FRS will hold in a similar way to similar escos, etc, whereas the ST will ultimately end up in a few years worth less and could even become as common as a Saxo.

In relation to the comment of price in a few years for an FRS being similar to a Series2 well how does that work - they are totally different cars - one from the late 80's early '90's and the other made from 2002-2004???

I bought my standard FRS 2 1/2 years ago & paid £16k for a mint car which at the time was the average price for the car - nowadays the same mint FRS would probably sell around £14.5k/£15k to the right buyer at the higher end of the market. I dont see about £1to1.5k being a big loss in 2 & 1/2 years - The ST's devalue nearly 3 times as much in the space of the same time

Before people say i'm a typical RS owner slating the ST without ever driving one i'm not - about a year or so ago i was actually looking for a second car as a daily driver as the FRS had become a tuning project car - i went out in the ST and was bored - compared to the drive & feeling of the FRS the ST was too sedate - basically what you expect from an everyday mass produced car

Give me an FRS over an ST anyday
You seem to have gone wide of the mark of what this topic is about, nobody is trying to compare two different cars aimed at two different markets as that would be stupid

ST fast ford mass produced to make a large profit driven by average joe (me) who likes his comforts the heated leather , soft but sporty ride.
RS completely different than above.
Old 16-02-2008, 03:15 PM
AlexRS2782

Originally Posted by Diseasel
You seem to have gone wide of the mark of what this topic is about, nobody is trying to compare two different cars aimed at two different markets as that would be stupid

ST fast ford mass produced to make a large profit driven by average joe (me) who likes his comforts the heated leather , soft but sporty ride.
RS completely different than above.
No i'm just replying based on other posts made in this thread as other people have mentioned comparing the car to others so just putting up my feelings on the matter

I've also stated about the price of the FRS, compared to an ST which is what the original poster asked about
Old 16-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

AlexRS2782

My point about the series 2 rs turbo as that they aint worth a fart in comparison to a 3 door cosworth even though there the same age why? because 1 is though of as special and 1 just isnt just like the difference between a eries1 and 2 why is the older car worth more easy because its special where as imo the frs in 90% of peoples eyes isnt thought of as a special car.

Who knows in 10 years time it might be seen as a modern classic but then again it might not, i aint got a time machine so am only giving my opinion not fact.
Old 16-02-2008, 07:14 PM
It's Czech Mate

AlexRS2782

My point about the series 2 rs turbo as that they aint worth a fart in comparison to a 3 door cosworth even though there the same age why? because 1 is though of as special and 1 just isnt just like the difference between a eries1 and 2 why is the older car worth more easy because its special where as imo the frs in 90% of peoples eyes isnt thought of as a special car.

Who knows in 10 years time it might be seen as a modern classic but then again it might not, i aint got a time machine so am only giving my opinion not fact.
You said no one including the press gives a fuck about an RS badge anymore?

Well ths months evo has two mentions of 3 door cossies and in the aretice about the 888vxr corsa the quote is " It has more power than a focus RS "

Now why would they mention a car thats been out of production for 4 years when there are plenty of other fwd hatches with more power readily available today?

Because whether YOU like it or not it is THE benchmark against which ALL other fwd turbo hatches are measured.
Old 16-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mondeo Man

evo mag also said the dc2 integra type-r is the best fwd car ever produced does that make it the best fwd car ever produced? is what they say gospel ye the dc2 is a good car but i'm sure there re better fwd cars available
Old 16-02-2008, 07:29 PM
It's Czech Mate

Mondeo Man

evo mag also said the dc2 integra type-r is the best fwd car ever produced does that make it the best fwd car ever produced? is what they say gospel ye the dc2 is a good car but i'm sure there re better fwd cars available
I'm not saying what they say is gospel, just giving you an example of contemporary motoring press 'giving a fuck' about rs cars and the focus, something you said wasnt the case. Why do you change your argument everytime someone proves your point wrong?

And i havent driven a finer fwd car than a dc2 in terms of handling. I have driven a modded FR Puma that was as good but it wasnt standard by anymeans
Old 16-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mondeo Man

The thing is my argument is all opinion like the people who bought frs's as an investment and saying they wont depreciate, that imo is just nieve as i believe they will hold there value longer than the others but depriciate in the long run just like the ret to the point where they are worth the same.

What i am saying is old cars seem to hit rock bottom then wont go any lower no matter how old they are. Imo in 10 years time you will be able to get a frs for 4-5k same sort of value as 10 year old series2
Old 16-02-2008, 07:45 PM
It's Czech Mate

Mondeo Man

The thing is my argument is all opinion like the people who bought frs's as an investment and saying they wont depreciate, that imo is just nieve as i believe they will hold there value longer than the others but depriciate in the long run just like the ret to the point where they are worth the same.

What i am saying is old cars seem to hit rock bottom then wont go any lower no matter how old they are. Imo in 10 years time you will be able to get a frs for 4-5k same sort of value as 10 year old series2
And the Leon you are so voraciously championing will have hit those prices in 5 years and been scrapped in ten.

No-ones on here is saying they are an investment, but due to limited supply they WILL and DO hold their prices better than contemporaries.

ps heres a wink because you seem to think using one to finish a point somehow makes it seem more clever

Old 16-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mondeo Man

Does the fact that they hold there value better then not make them over priced? i mean if you can get a a car of the same capability for a lot less because its not a limited number car then make the limited number car over priced in comparison?
Old 16-02-2008, 08:51 PM
It's Czech Mate

Mondeo Man

Does the fact that they hold there value better then not make them over priced? i mean if you can get a a car of the same capability for a lot less because its not a limited number car then make the limited number car over priced in comparison?
FFS NO, because they depreciate less the total cost of ownership isnt reflected in the purchase price

ie start price - running costs - resale price makes it as cheap as a Leon
Old 16-02-2008, 08:55 PM
It's Czech Mate

ps for one last time also price is set by supply and demand in a car market

lets do it the easy way

supply x demand = price

supply is fixed ( ie they dont make any anymore ) so there is a direct relationship between demand and price

is if the price is 'high' its because demand is 'high'

if the damand is 'high' its because people are willing to buy at that price which by definition means it isnt 'overpriced' as the market price of a second hand car sets itsself.
Old 16-02-2008, 08:56 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Mondeo Man

not for handling
Old 16-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mondeo Man

You dont get it do you, your arguing about what i think lol i could be totally wrong, who knows what the state of fr price will be in 10 years time and tbh who gives a fuck its a ford focus at the end of the day
Old 16-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

they will be nowt like a s2
Old 16-02-2008, 09:57 PM
It's Czech Mate

Mondeo Man

You dont get it do you, your arguing about what i think lol i could be totally wrong, who knows what the state of fr price will be in 10 years time and tbh who gives a fuck its a ford focus at the end of the day
Lol so because I blew your argument out of te water you now decide after two pages of argueing that you dont care anyway

If you say so

Old 16-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Mondeo Man

Lol so because I blew your argument out of te water you now decide after two pages of argueing that you dont care anyway

If you say so

lol .....................

Old 17-02-2008, 01:58 AM
arkley

Mondeo Man

ford enthusiasts give a fuck, this is passionFORD.

A car is overpriced to someone if they can't afford it, I reckon.
Old 17-02-2008, 10:57 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, i think they are overpriced.

having driven both the rs and the st the st is the better car for everyday use imho.

that said there is a mint looking 50k mile rs on a 53 plate for just under £9k and i'm sorely tempted. despite knowing for similair money i could get an s4 which undoubtly is the better car!
Old 18-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you want a FRS buy one, if not don't! Simple really......

Old 18-02-2008, 07:08 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by James

that said there is a mint looking 50k mile rs on a 53 plate for just under £9k and i'm sorely tempted. despite knowing for similair money i could get an s4 which undoubtly is the better car!
If thats real......get it bought if not.....give me the number, i need to speak to my bank manager....easy money to be made there

i wouldnt regard the S4 as a better car in any way though
Old 18-02-2008, 09:34 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Its ALWAYS nice to see an FRS aroudn because in all the time they have been around I have never seen more than maybe 5 or 6 FRS's around. I see STs pratically everywhere and you get the same thing with the scooby/evo debate.

And since you said you have a daily driver, the mileage shouldnt matter too much to you as you aren't going to be racking the miles up on it too much and will hold its value quite well. As a weekend blast has to be FRS. If you wanted a more refined and more easier car to live with + poke then ST but imo, FRS
Old 18-02-2008, 11:15 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gingeRS
Originally Posted by James

If thats real......get it bought if not.....give me the number, i need to speak to my bank manager....easy money to be made there
Ill be just behind you in the queue too at that price.
Old 18-02-2008, 11:22 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
ps for one last time also price is set by supply and demand in a car market

lets do it the easy way

supply x demand = price

supply is fixed ( ie they dont make any anymore ) so there is a direct relationship between demand and price

is if the price is 'high' its because demand is 'high'

if the damand is 'high' its because people are willing to buy at that price which by definition means it isnt 'overpriced' as the market price of a second hand car sets itsself.
Exactly. Thats the facts and exactly why they still demand good money.

Whether you can get 'better' cars for the money is not the issue. They ARE 'worth' what they are selling for to the buyers, so as long as they stay desirable, hence in demand, then they will always sell for strong money. The ST will never be as desirable as the RS in general due to the ST being a mass produced car, whether its actually a 'better' car or not.

Its the same with the escos. Numbers will only go down, and as the demand is still strong, prices will remain strong. Many people say they are overpriced but how can they be when they demand good money, and there worth similar money in bits, again due to the demand and supply.

Desirability plays a massive part in the used car market, and demand and supply for the cars (and parts), set the prices.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:20 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the car in question is on autotrader so not had to track down if anyone is interested!

bloke selling is a usful friend so i'd rather not buy it off him then re-sell just to make a profit! and the fact i don't have £9k laying around!