General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Volvo 850 T5R

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Shanny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 850 T5R

Anyone know anything about these. I'm going to look at one tomorrow. It has all MOT's, Volvo Service History from new but it has 162,000 miles on it. From what I have read, this isn't a problem and I've recently been in one that had over 300K miles on it and drove flawlessly, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Shanny
Old 14-02-2008, 04:51 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nice cars, fwd sucks, bad on fuel, mileage isnt an issue with FSH
Old 14-02-2008, 05:02 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice cars, you can just pull the actuator pipe off the turbo and scare the shit out of yourself but you better know how to change a gearbox
Old 14-02-2008, 05:25 PM
cossie04

Have a read here, some information on T5`s and T5-R`s...

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...asc&highlight=
Old 14-02-2008, 05:47 PM
simonc

I used to have an 850R, great cars & 162k is nothing to worry about, someone i know is running over 300bhp & the engine had done 220k & never been apart. They are very thirsty about 22mpg normal driving,28mpg on a run, standard brakes are really poor & not upto the job but its cheap to upgrade to bigger V70 discs/carriers, manual is better for tuning but auto is nice for normal driving, deffo check the auto box is working correctly,take it for a good drive. I used mine a couple times to go down to the South of France Liked it so much i bought the new V70R awd 6speed Make sure its got the genuine wheels on it as they are getting rare, Titans if T5R & even rarer Volans on the 850R,goodluck you'll love it

Simon.
Old 14-02-2008, 05:55 PM
simonc

My old 850R

My V70R manual AWD

Simon.
Old 14-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got an 850 T5 and its fast as fuck, feels much faster than my S70 V70 and S60 i had before too, join up here mate and read up on the cars.

www.t5d5.org
Old 14-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

nice cars - bomb proof. Hope you like buying front tyres though
Old 14-02-2008, 09:48 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 EDC
Have a read here, some information on T5`s and T5-R`s...

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...asc&highlight=
thats my V70R on the link above, fucking awesome car, wish i never sold it

what a stupid mistake best car ive ever owned by far
Old 14-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I really like them cars, to much power for front wheel drive though. Just wheelspin alot.... www.vpuk.com is a good site to go on, they have a section on what to look for when buying one but a couple of points are:
check top engine mount on them, check all the milage carefully because theres abit to do with the speedo cable that breaks sometimes, check the heated seats arent getting really hot because it was a recall job because the seats where burning, cant remember anything else atm but aslong as its got a full service history the milage isn't a problem.
Old 14-02-2008, 10:19 PM
baba

http://pistonheads.com/sales/366219.htm

is this the one mate?
Old 14-02-2008, 10:30 PM
baba

Default Re: Volvo 850 T5R

Originally Posted by Shanny
Anyone know anything about these. I'm going to look at one tomorrow. It has all MOT's, Volvo Service History from new but it has 162,000 miles on it. From what I have read, this isn't a problem and I've recently been in one that had over 300K miles on it and drove flawlessly, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Shanny
so long as its been regularly serviced with good oil the milage shouldnt be a problem.i know sumone who runs a t5r estate with 186k miles on it goes to the ring 4 times a year and is running a genuine 318wp and the engine has never been apart..
check the box though as there known to go and as stated they do like to light the wheels.sum of the later r models came with lsd.
brakes are shit if your heavy on them
a basic chip will take you to 305hp with the only reccomendation a system and volvotuning will chip a car with the miles no probs.
Old 15-02-2008, 08:47 AM
simonc

Indy you said you best car you've ever had was an E36 M3 Evo in the M3 post have you changed your mind

I have both V70R & M3 Evo

Simon.
Old 15-02-2008, 10:21 AM
S1

Ive had my 855 T5 for two years now, its std but it does fly! MOT'd it last week and it went straight through, not bad for 186,000 miles

As said they light up the front tyres very easily, I can lay black lines for about 30yards round roundabouts without too much trouble Fairly juicey motors, for around 60quids worth of fuel I get about 290 miles. When this one dies I will look for a later model possibly an AWD as it will be more suited to towing than the FWD is.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Shanny

Thanks for all of the replies and advice.
baba, nope that wasn't the one.
The one that I saw today was a real dog. I don't expect a car with 162K to be perfect but the guy neglected to tell me that the AC and alarm wasn't working and when I started it, there was a plume of blue smoke spewing out of it.
There are some good ones about so I'll keep looking.

Cheers,
Shanny
Old 15-02-2008, 06:08 PM
MK5RST

ive got a nice white 850 2.5 with the T5 alloys half heted leather and spolier, im either gonna sell it or get t5 running gear for it, itsa done 140k and drives like new
Old 15-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Moonie

Master Tech at Volvo for 11 years, anything you need to know just ask.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:45 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by SiZT
nice cars, you can just pull the actuator pipe off the turbo and scare the shit out of yourself but you better know how to change a gearbox
OH MY FUCKING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And people wonder why engines explode

The gearbox would be the least of my worries
Old 15-02-2008, 07:33 PM
simonc

I was thinking the same what a stupid thing to say !

Simon.
Old 15-02-2008, 07:44 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

seen this done on 2, one was an 850R the other was a S60 T5 with the screw taken out of the bleed valve
Old 15-02-2008, 07:54 PM
BigChuck

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SiZT
seen this done on 2, one was an 850R the other was a S60 T5 with the screw taken out of the bleed valve
you are kidding .... how long did they last like that.
Old 15-02-2008, 10:38 PM
andyorion
Regular Contributor

I have just recently bought one and did a little research into them before I bought it. The most major thing to look for is excessive crankcase pressure which is caused by blocked breathers. This excess pressure then causes rear main oil seal failure. A good way to check if you have excessive pressure just remove the engine oil dipstick and check for puffs of smoke with the engine running. I had a Rica performance chip fitted as well which apparently gives near on 300 bhp can't say its definately that but its what the chip producer claims based on a healthy car. The T5-R was a limited edition available in either Oliva Green, Black or Yellow although it is rumoured that few T5-R's where produced in white. Available in manual or automatic with 240bhp.
The 850 R was the second in the line of the 850 R performance models and also the last. The manual came with stronger gearbox and also an LSD. A slightly larger turbocharger was fitted to the R and coupled with a slightly different engine management ecu the power output was raised to 250bhp. Automatic variants of the 850 R remained the same as the T5-R with a slightly different turbo outlet but essentially the same car running 240 bhp. The 850 R wasn't a limited edition although wasn't as popular as the rest of the 850 range and as a result due to write off's ect. now is about as rare as the T5-R, it was however available in a slightly larger variation of colours and came with a choice of interior colours either grey or biege, the biege came with a light scandinavian birch wood finish which tbh is an acquired taste, where as the grey had the burr walnut finished dash. Both the T5-R and R came with part leather part alcantara seats the only model in the 850 range with this combination of materials used for the interior trim. The T5-R had alcantara on the outside edges of the seats and leather on the middle sections where as the R had the reverse, leather on the outside edges and alcantara on the inside edges. The R also has bolster supports on the seat base where as the T5-R didn't.
An example of some of the standard spec items include.
Electric memory driver and passenger seats, heated as well (heated rear seats optional)
Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors.
Electric windows allround.
5 spoke 17" Titans T5-R (17" 7 spoke Volans on the R's)
30 mm lower springs and uprated shocks over the standard T5 model.
Climate control air conditioning with dual zone temperature settings for driver and passenger.
Alpine 6 Disc cd changer.
Front lower spoiler
Rear Spoiler (850 R has a slightly larger spoiler than T5-R / saloon only)
and many more carried over from the rest of the range.

Both models command a heavier price tag over a T5 due to the rarity of the model and as such it is rumoured that due to this rarity they may well increase in value as the years go on, probably won't happen while I own one I guarantee that!! lol

As for a mini review of mine, fuel consumption is currently shown at 24.8 mpg with the a/c on and the rica'd ecu on a run prior to chipping it did 30.0 mpg which tbh I thought was good for a car of its size but don't be fooled they like a drink!!
Front tyres well I renewed all four when I bought it for the standard fit P Zero's and traction in the wet well you can forget it! The standard fit traction control, known as TRACS, will get you off the mark but only up to 25 mph after that your on your own and 3mm shorter on tyre tread. Handling well its a Volvo but tbh I was surprised it isn't "that" bad. Brakes yes they could do with upgrading but I haven't quite got the 1,700 quid to fit the AP upgrade kit just yet!
Other than that exhaust is still original and still appears in good shape. Underneath is like new not even the slightest signs of corrosion even in the odd area where the underseal has been knocked off, bodywork wise again no corrosion to speak of even where the paint has been knocked off the bonnet by stones!! If you view an 850 which has rust its been accident repaired badly and I would walk away.
Engine is silky smooth, Rica management upgrade transformed the performance 3 fold and it sounds fantastic. I would recommend the poly top mount for the engine as it allows a little more engine noise to be transmitted through the firewall. Mileage wise mine had done 87,400 when I bought it and the history was good. Low mileage ones do come up but are rare so don't be worried about cars with over 100,000 if the history is good its not a major concern I know of a few cars with nearly 300,000 miles on the clock and still running as well today as they did when they were new.

Heres a shot of the car and of the interior to help show what the Volan alloys look like and the half alcantara/leather seats.

Hope that gives you a rough idea any other questions please ask.
Old 15-02-2008, 11:05 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Originally Posted by simonc
Indy you said you best car you've ever had was an E36 M3 Evo in the M3 post have you changed your mind

I have both V70R & M3 Evo

Simon.
oiiii!!! bloody show off!!!

i said:
Originally Posted by indycos
totally disagree m8, M3 evo prob the best car i ever owned regardless of maintenance cost (performance and smiles per mile is what counts!!! lol )
i know the volvo rules and you have the even better new shape V70R lucky coont!!!

M3 was obviously faster than the P2 V70R and id prefer to have one for crusing about in to play with all the boy racers!!! the clutch and gearbox were a bit of a cunt to use everyday and the volvo was sooo smooth (was an auto anyway so totally different!)

if i had to choose between an M3 or a V70R (auto or manual) to use everyday, i would pick the V70R without a doubt and anyone who thinks thats a crap decision obviously hasnt driven one im pretty sure some people will disagree with my view on these 2 cars against each other, im not saying the V70R is faster, its just far nicer to drive if using everday!!! more comfortable and easier to use etc blablabla

your new shape V70R is probably much much better than the E36 M3 evo all round with it having 300bhp and 4x4
unfortunately my pockets aint big enough to find that out for myself yet, havent been in a new shape one yet

good thing to note though, S60R's are going down on price. if you can find one the reason you hardly see many for sale, is because they are sooo good and the owners dont wanna sell them!!!

andyorion that looks well tidy m8!!!
Old 15-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Mixja

had one for a while a couple of years back, had done 250k miles, still drove like a new car.... and didnt look far off it either...!!!

Old 15-02-2008, 11:23 PM
andyorion
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by indycos

andyorion that looks well tidy m8!!!
Thanks Indycos
Old 15-02-2008, 11:37 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Mixja nice mate, doesnt really show the mileage much!!! didnt know you had one aswell

andyorion no worries mate!!!

if anyone doesnt already, use this site to find out about volvos!

www.vpcuk.org
Old 16-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Shanny

Thanks everybody again for the advice and help. There are two that I'll be looking at in the next few days.

The suprprising thing is the insurance quotes. around Ł200, fully comp

Shanny
Old 16-02-2008, 12:21 PM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you cant steal them, you cant die in them, and theyre not attractive to chav boy racers! Only risk the insurance company is covering is a sensible bloke hitting a bus load of nuns
Old 16-02-2008, 12:50 PM
simonc

Indy your right my V70R is way way better than the M3 Evo, in comparision the M3 feels old & a lot less refined, performance wise theirs hardly anything in it M3's slightly quicker & more nimble, my wife calls the M3 'my shonky old motor' bloody cheek ! She paid for the Volvo anyway !

Shanny goodluck hunting for a 850R T5R its hard to find a good one but when you do buy it Keep us posted on here if you get anything.

Simon.
Old 16-02-2008, 02:24 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Originally Posted by simonc
Indy your right my V70R is way way better than the M3 Evo, in comparision the M3 feels old & a lot less refined, performance wise theirs hardly anything in it M3's slightly quicker & more nimble, my wife calls the M3 'my shonky old motor' bloody cheek ! She paid for the Volvo anyway !

Shanny goodluck hunting for a 850R T5R its hard to find a good one but when you do buy it Keep us posted on here if you get anything.

Simon.
cor fookin'ell it just gets better and better for you

she paid for it!!!???!!! lucky git!!!

and good luck Shanny m8, as Simon says, they are hard to find good ones of the older model as they are so sought after, but keep looking and dont give up
Old 16-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Indy yer only 18 or summat and u cant even drive lol
Old 17-02-2008, 05:49 PM
rallycross
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S1
Ive had my 855 T5 for two years now, its std but it does fly! MOT'd it last week and it went straight through, not bad for 186,000 miles

As said they light up the front tyres very easily, I can lay black lines for about 30yards round roundabouts without too much trouble Fairly juicey motors, for around 60quids worth of fuel I get about 290 miles. When this one dies I will look for a later model possibly an AWD as it will be more suited to towing than the FWD is.
do you use yours for towing? what mpg you getting?

I've got one and I was thinking about sticking a towbar on it for towing the racing car but have not bothered to do so yet as thought it would be down into single figure mpg for towing??
Old 17-02-2008, 05:55 PM
S1

I have towed with it but not a great deal. I used to use a 240 GLT which although very down on power compared to the T5 was actually a fantastic tow car. The T5 is very capable but slightly less good than the 240. Ive never actually had tooo much trouble with it being FWD but on a couple of occasions ive missed the traction of RWD when pulling away with a trailer on the back. I know if it went somewhere muddy with a trailer then I would be in trouble, depends where you gonna go with a trailer.

Incidentally I washed the 850 today, only about the third time in two years, I forgot how tidy it looks when all shiny
Old 17-02-2008, 05:59 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you can get um in red aswell can't you?
Old 18-02-2008, 07:00 PM
andyorion
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by peteh
you can get um in red aswell can't you?
The R was available in red but the T5-R wasn't
Old 20-02-2008, 11:25 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Tangodeltasierra3 coont my volvo was better than yours!!!
Old 19-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Sheree850R
Virgin

Originally Posted by Mixja
had one for a while a couple of years back, had done 250k miles, still drove like a new car.... and didnt look far off it either...!!!

I believe that black 850R in the picture is my car! I bought it in August 2006 with 254k on the clock! I replaced the 18inch dynamic alloys on it with the black/dark grey T5R Titans and nicknamed the car "The black Pearl". It now sports a brand new private number plate "M6 VOL" with its nickname printed underneath.
Oh, and it's now done 266k miles and still runs like new, still pulls like a train and I will never let it go to anybody else! =P

Last edited by Sheree850R; 19-05-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: made mistake