General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Pop3 email question in outlook

Search this Thread

Old 13-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop3 email question in outlook

Ok I have a pop3 email configured with outlook and I can get my email by doing a send and receive - so thats fine

The pop3 email account also has a web interface - which means i can check my email from anywhere.

The problem was when i read the email in outlook it would automatically remove it from the email server which meant it was removed from the web interface (so only a local copy existed). I've managed to find a setting in outlook which now keeps a copy on the email server aswell now - so thats great

However, when I do a send/receive from outlook it does not sync my sent,deleted or anyother folder. So for exampleI have emails in my outlook inbox but i can not sync these with the email server.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Bob

Btw Im using outlook 2003
Old 13-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are you talking about the emails that were pulled down and previously deleted from the email server, Bob?

These won't synchronise back to the email server as far as I can remember under POP3.

If you wanted to keep a copy of the previously deleted ones on the server, you'd need to forward them to yourself (but they'd all be from yourself, so you'd need to open each one to see who they were from via web mail interface).

If you want to delete emails off the server, when deleted locally in Outlook there may be a 'remove form server when deleted' option in the same place as the 'leave a copy on server' option (haven't got Outlook 2003 so can't confirm)
Old 13-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Billabong
Are you talking about the emails that were pulled down and previously deleted from the email server, Bob?

These won't synchronise back to the email server as far as I can remember under POP3.

If you wanted to keep a copy of the previously deleted ones on the server, you'd need to forward them to yourself (but they'd all be from yourself, so you'd need to open each one to see who they were from via web mail interface).
Hi Bill - thats exactly what Im talking about
So that would mean if i create folders in outlook these would not get sent to the server..
bummer

Cheers for responding
Old 13-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You could try adding a test folder via webmail, and see if Outlook 'subscribes' to it, or look for a subscribe folders option in Outlook?

From memory though, I think you'd need IMAP (or Exchange Server) instead of POP3 to that, unless someone more knowledgable knows different.