General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Alternator wiring heating up- melted connector-help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator wiring heating up- melted connector-help!

on my V`2000SRAD GSX-R750 I have a melted OE Suzuki connector, its a 3xwire connector between the alternator and the Rectifier and it looked like this today,

I was a bit concerned so removed what was left and reconnected the spade connectors and covered the connections with insulating tape but on start up the wiring smouldered and melted the tape
anybody in the know with auto electrics got any ideas why this might happen?
Some info-
battery voltage 13.7V
charge to rectifier 27V @1200RPM
charge to rectifier 120V+ @6000RPM
charge from rectifier 13.7

All surrounding wiring is warm too, if I renew the connection with heavy duty new spade connectors will this just pass the problem onto the next weak link or?!???
Nothing seems wrong apart from this wiring. could the rectifier be faulty, Alternator or other. Ideas please experts
Old 10-02-2008, 04:33 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

hmm, I'm sure someone will know for sure but it sounds like maybe you're wiring from the alternator might be broken down or something, ie if the wire was frayed inside it's insulation it wouldn't cope well with the current and overheat the insulation and plugs (like using too small wire)

That's one option, it might be worth seeing if the wiring is broken down.. I hate electrical problems
Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are you measuring the voltage between alt and rectifier, remembering it is AC so will show odd amount if set on DC scale.
It still should not do this though, I would look for a dead short, and see if battery is bubbling, if any spikes get through to battery it will soon cook and bubble.
tabetha
Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
zetecapri
2.0 16v Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right guage wire? i rewired an alternator before on a car, used wire to fin and it melted all the insulation from around it
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

had the same problem with an import cbr 400 a few years back and it was the rectifier that was fucked.

you can get a new pattern rectifier for about £50

might be worth getting a new generator as well
Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Tabetha" my dad is an ex radar test engineer so I left him to the simple test of bike sensors- done according to the Haynes and Suzuki manuals, Haynes quote at least 70 Volts min AC at 5000RPM so its within the sliding scale.

"zetecapri"- its OE SUZUKI wiring too but I will check nearer the alternator for any breaks down there too- that would make sense.
would the rectifier not being connected properly further up the loom cause over heating back there as I found a connector further on not clipped home properly could have been 8yrs of that and I wouldnt know, the spade bits and connecting wires would be weakened if over heated severely so a future hot spot- right?
I will look into another to be sure Matt
A bit more to think about. I only want to ride the bloody thing