General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

possible banning of scottish notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

played by a ozie as well look more the part in his mad max outfit
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta admit i'd never been to scotland and dind't realise they have own notes. I went to edinburgh last year and paid with a crisp £20 and got my change in manky funny looking stuff.

'Errr, what's this i said!'

She wasn't impressed with my arrogant ignorance 'You're in scotland now, it's scottish money'

Plus u can spend it in england she added sheepishly afterwards
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get shot of Scottish pounds? Seems England is subsidising Scotland anyway, don't complain about English money then, do you!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Currently the Bank of England (which was founded by a Scotsman, by the way) requires our banks to deposit cash for four days of the week to back the value of the Scottish notes in circulation. The Treasury proposal is that the equivalent value would have to be on deposit with the BoE all week meaning that the Scottish banks would lose out on the interest they currently make.

With Clydesdale Bank owned by the Aussies, and Bank of Scotland owned by the Halifax, they may decide "Fuck it, its cheaper to just issue BoE notes" That potentially leaves the Royal Bank of Scotland in a position where it has higher costs than its main rivals and lead it to say "Fuck it!" too.

Interestingly, although Scottish and Irish notes are not actually legal tender anywhere, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales so the Scottish people would have good grounds to force this idea to be abandoned if we simply decided that BoE notes were unacceptable to us as a means of payment.

The term "legal tender" does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

And as for the point about British Gas and Scottish Gas, please try to remember that Britain comprises England and Wales, so the term British Gas is correct south of the border but would be entirely wrong up here. Scotland joined the union to make Britain Great, and the UK incorporates Northern Ireland.

And finally, why is the current monarch Elizabeth the Second? Throughout Great Britain, she is our first Elizabeth. Only England had another queen of that name, which is why if you look at Royal Mail vehicles and letterboxes up here you will notice the EIIR cypher is missing.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I cant get my head round why the scottish are so bothered about england all the time, I think its just cause they werent as good as us at warring and they never really got over it.

From my point of view it makes sense to have 1 set of notes purely from the point of view as people being more likely to spot fraudulent notes if they are familiar with the notes they recieve, I wouldnt be confident about knowing if a scottish note was real or not as I dont see them often enough.

I dont know why they dont just standardise on the scottish note and scrap the english one though, as english people in the main arent petty enough to care I reckon
Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When I worked in a shop a customer tried to pay with a scottish note. I kindly refused the note by saying:

Me: Im sorry, but we cannot take Scottish notes.
Customer: Why not, its legal tender.
Me: Im afraid we have no way of testing if its genuine or not.
Customer: Thats rubbish. Your being racist if you dont take it.
Me: I am not racist and I am not taking it.

Customer paid with English note and complained to head office on me. I told head office exactly the same as I told her. No one has told me how to check the notes and no documentation has been available (That I am aware of) pointing how to check authenticity. Therefore I am not prepared to take something I cannot prove to be genuine/fake. English notes have documentation available saying how to test and are easier (To me) to check...
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
When I worked in a shop a customer tried to pay with a scottish note. I kindly refused the note by saying:

Customer paid with English note and complained to head office on me. I told head office exactly the same as I told her. No one has told me how to check the notes and no documentation has been available (That I am aware of) pointing how to check authenticity. Therefore I am not prepared to take something I cannot prove to be genuine/fake. English notes have documentation available saying how to test and are easier (To me) to check...

Totally agree..

Every single fucking piece of shit scotish note I have ever seen in 10 years or so in a retail environment was a shrivelled up wanky piece of toilet tissue with some sort of printing on it.

If they made "proper" notes it wouldn't be a problem would it.

I did enjoy telling people to fuck off with their scottish notes.. especially if they were scottish..

LOL

Jake

The majority of my tongue in cheek comment is purely to wind up the scots- but face it.. in England.. we dont actually care.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In Carlisle 40% of the money we handle is scottish if it says Stirling on the front thats good enough for me.

But ban £1 notes i always mistake them as £5
Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
geoffxr4

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
Interestingly, although Scottish and Irish notes are not actually legal tender anywhere
I've been done by a canny scot...

have to use the notes in my monopoly board instead
Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM
rauri
up in smoke........

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
In Carlisle 40% of the money we handle is scottish if it says Stirling on the front thats good enough for me.

i thought they did away with £1 notes years ago
Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by rauri

They did but the scots are too tight to let them go!!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
rauri
up in smoke........

Originally Posted by jamesw

They did but the scots are too tight to let them go!!
must be down the poor bit of scotland (the bit that joins england) coz i havnt seen one for years
Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Dalek
Insert witty remark here

You lot should wake up and smell the coffee..

There is no Scotland, England etc any more. So forget about fooking bank notes for a minute and think about this instead...

The place is slowly being overrun by fooking Johnny Foreigners... so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Won't be long until the whole place turns to complete shit and that will be the ideal opertunity for an Adolf Hitler type to get into power in the same cirumstances that happened in Germany after WW1. IE no jobs for the "natives" and the "foreigners" have all the cash etc etc All that shit will kick off again only this time in the country that you live in.

BTW i get pissed off when the money that i get issued with is not accepted in England. Whatever the reasons either way it's just not right.

Flame on...
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
joel_winders

i'd accept a scottish note if an englishman gave it me, then you know it was legit
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Originally Posted by Shings
Originally Posted by FletchCossie

Totally agree..

Every single fucking piece of shit scotish note I have ever seen in 10 years or so in a retail environment was a shrivelled up wanky piece of toilet tissue with some sort of printing on it.

If they made "proper" notes it wouldn't be a problem would it.

I did enjoy telling people to fuck off with their scottish notes.. especially if they were scottish..

LOL

Jake

The majority of my tongue in cheek comment is purely to wind up the scots- but face it.. in England.. we dont actually care.
AFPMSL
Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What I find really weird is that there's tons of Royal Bank of Scotland cash machines in England, yet they dispense English notes!
Maybe if they filled them with their own product they would be a lot more widely recognised, and not be under threat.

Ever tried getting rid of Clydesdale Bank notes in England?!
The baffled looks never end, and half the time they get refused....
I bet most English folk have never even seen one of these before

Old 08-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exciting new information about WHY Scottish and Northern Irish banks were exempted from the need to issue Bank of England notes like every bank in England and Wales.

The government of the day were so concerned about the security of people's money and confidence in the whole banking system that they brought in the law that made banks deposit the equivalent amount of assets with the BoE, and then issue BoE notes so that if the bank went bust the customers could be compensated from centrally held funds.

However, the banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland were deemed to be strong enough and well enough run so they only had to deposit their money over the weekend!

I also learned that the Clydesdale Bank in particular makes a good share of its profits from issuing banknotes on behalf of other banks such as Lloyds TSB and the Alliance and Leicester (presumably only in Scotland, or you would all be more familiar with them?)
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

New information from decades ago?
Cumming in my pants...
Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Glad I could help!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You horny toad

Interesting stuff though
I'd be happy if the UK or GB had one type of money, we all speak English (more or less ) anyways.
Preferable to the Euro
Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

heres a proper mans note slightly bigger than those gaylord £50s

and you should all STFU moaning about each others money....i accept all
Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Originally Posted by dazoriginal
sterling pounds - legal tender

a fact lost on a lot of people it would seem
Too true and just shows a lack of education IMO. I am reluctant to accept Scots notes simply because of the hassle I will get in using them. Stupid.