General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

moving to sydney (possibly)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default moving to sydney (possibly)

so whats the crack in actually moving over there then?

and before you lot start celebrating, it's not me, but my brother so he's asked me to do some basic "what do people who have moved over there from over here think"

so whats the money like currency wise, what does you australian money buy you and whats the exchange rate like?

and how friendly are the peeps over there realistically?

he's going over there to work in one of their officies so that's not a problem but he want's to know if it's worth asking for the sydney post as opposed to the singapore slot he's been sort of offered
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best person to ask would be Pop's
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
dojj

i hope he sees this thread then
Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
Why, not heard of PM?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I only visited for a few months but I found it a great place, people were very nice all round. Id jump at the chance of living over there if a few close people went too.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

As long as your not his translator, he'll be fine
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Thrush
Why, not heard of PM?
and not let others see the thread?
thats why i put it up in the first place

(plus i forgot who it was )
Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
focuschivvy
Advanced PassionFord User

everything YOU need to know is here mate

http://www.awfwrestling.com.au/
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

Same as anywhere really there is good and bad. Depends which you place the emphasis on really.

I have visited Sydney a few times and its good to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. But thats just me.
I live 1300km further north and no complaints here. I have been here 3 yrs and there is no chance of me coming back to UK

British by Birth Australian by choice
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Default Re: moving to sydney (possibly)

so whats the crack in actually moving over there then?

and before you lot start celebrating, it's not me, but my brother so he's asked me to do some basic "what do people who have moved over there from over here think"

so whats the money like currency wise, what does you australian money buy you and whats the exchange rate like?

and how friendly are the peeps over there realistically?

he's going over there to work in one of their officies so that's not a problem but he want's to know if it's worth asking for the sydney post as opposed to the singapore slot he's been sort of offered
Erm hard one Dojj , personally we love it here. I cant say wether your brother will like it here though.
We moved over here for a better live, and so far its has been for us. it has its good points and its bad, same as any country.
You still have the same old shit with going to work but then its much nicer areas that i work in, and is always nice on my drive home driving right along side the beaches, we live on sydney's northern beaches which is quite a dear area to live in.
Money wise its all down to how much you earn, personally i reckon its quite dear to live in sydney itself, mainly because things have just gone up so much to when i first ever came over here to visit my brother.
Things like rent are very dear, beer is now much dear than the uk, shopping works out about the same i reckon, fags work out about the same.
Most people are friendly enough, you get the same old pommie shit every day. most know where there from in history terms and then you get the odd people that take offence to the english, but personally i find it funny to be on the other end of rasicism.

exchange rate wise, its not so good for the people coming over here at the mo compared to what it has been in the past, but still good, but then that will only affect me if i have to come back to the uk, i work in aussie dollars now and have to

anything else just ask mate
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

ps, i drink to much nowdays aswell
im on my four beer and its only 10.40 am
Old 02-02-2008, 04:39 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

www.britishexpats.com

Visit that site, very good and lots of visa advice plus location. A lot of users on there, a few hundred in any one room at a time. Just make sure you search before asking questions, newbies asking "I want to emigrate, how" arent favoured!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

must admit alan i have never found that on there myself, not like alot of websites that i have used.
still look at that site most weeks just to see what changes are going on

hows you ballbag anyway
Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 AM
dojj

moneywise he's on Ł60k sterling at the mo (considering he's working in ireland and that's in euros so no idea what that will work out to in aus money) and he's single and doesn't have a driving license

and he's thinking of moving out with a few friends and there is also the fact that the company pay for the first months acomodation in where they think is a suitable place to get to and from work so that's him sorted for a month at least

now for some technical questions

how big is sydney compared to say london?
dublin is about 2 miles across and then there's nothing according to him

how much is the rent compared to buying a house over there?
done a bit of research and it looks like you can get a decent pad for half the price you'd pay in the uk so it's possibly around the Ł150k mark

with the exchange rate fluctuating between 40p and 45p per aus $ is earing close to $130k aus putting him in the rich list?

thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 AM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dojj i think sydney is about the same size as london m8
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
northerner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Worked with someone who made the move and said it was the best decision he has made.

Also, there is a program on BBC 1 (9.30 Weekdays) which covers people who move out to Aus.

Decent houses are about Ł150 per week but just outside Sydney.

I'm looking at moving over once my daughter is old enough to handle the flight. The wife and I have points to spare and i've seen my job paying upto AUS$200000
Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 AM
northerner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Might be worth looking at: http://www.realestate.com.au/
Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
dojj

i'll show him today
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Just been looking at one of these links above for ages . I could sell my place move to oz and have a 4 bedroom house with double garage and a pool , and still be better off every month...............So tempting
Old 02-02-2008, 11:48 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

$130000 is quite a good wage for over here, but defo not on the rich list by any means
sydney's cbd is proberly around the same size as london i surpose, sydney itself is quite large and again proberly around the same size as london and all its boroughs
renting is defo cheaper than buying over here, but then costs on both in my opinion are dearer than back in the uk, but then alot of that is all down to where you live at the end of the day.
expamle, a $500000 mortage will cost you about $820 ish a week, where i live on the northern beaches that doesn't buy you much at all, in fact it bought my brother a 2 bedroom unit/flat 2 years ago
the place we live in i pay rent of $700 a week for a 3 bed unit/flat ( thats discounted as i rent direct off the builder ) , and if i was to buy it, it has a price tag of $1.2 million
with regards to having a 4 bed house and double garage and swimming pool, yes you proberly can, BUT not in what most people call the decent areas, but again its horses for courses, my idea of australia is living by the sea
Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM
dojj

thanks very much, but apparently he is now thinking dubai is a better option, mainly because it'll be tax free
Old 04-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I soooo want to go.. I would say, Sydney is smaller than London.. The heeat of it, CBD certainly is.. I worked in the large HSBC building and Macquires bank whilst over there.. Great place and everyone is genuinely freindly..! Saying that, we ventured/stayed in Kings Cross a few times and thats alot like our Kings Cross over here.. not so freindly

I have to admit I am very envious of the ones that have given up life here in Britain to live in OZ.. If it was a simple case for me, I would have been long gone

I only spent 8 months over there but fell like I could quite easily set up home there.. So many English in Sydney its unreal.. loads of travellers etc..!

Dojj - Perhaps go with him hey..
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish it was as easy to move to america as it is to get into australia! never been but sounds great. a big good on you to anyone whose had the bottle to up and move away witha family and mortgage etc already in the uk.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by POPEYE
must admit alan i have never found that on there myself, not like alot of websites that i have used.
still look at that site most weeks just to see what changes are going on

hows you ballbag anyway
Am good mate, enjoying the sun and the beach

Have been researching the US and had a few questions in the Oz Immigration forum and noticed a bit of anti newbie question posts. Not too many but that said, 90% of what people want to know on a forum that size can be found searching, just on the correct words

Are you coming down for the F1?