General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bodyshops - How profitable as a business??

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2008, 09:55 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bodyshops - How profitable as a business??

i've currently got my own fish & chip shop which although makes me a living I feel i'm out growing it and need a change.

I've been thinking about possibly buying a bodyshop. It's something that interests me a lot and although I can't do the actual physical work I could do the business side and estimates etc.

Just wondering if anyone owns one that could give me a little info on them?

Thanks.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:15 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

speak to jacko about quoting, pricing and timescales to do the work and profits etc.
then go in partnership with him, he really does do a top class job considering our unit at the mo is less than ideal!
www.blueovalgarages.com

steve
Old 13-01-2008, 10:16 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say, if your looking to buy a bodyshop, might be best to bring in a workshop manager who knows how to do the quoting ect.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:32 PM
gym-rst
PassionFord Regular

Scott i am at North East Audi now and based within there body shop, If you want to come speak to any of lads or the workshop foreman one saturday let me know. Sure they will be able to help.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:45 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think it would be wise to go into it with just the abilty to run the business side!

you really couldnt give quotes aswell! well not at first
Old 13-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GARETH T
i dont think it would be wise to go into it with just the abilty to run the business side!

i totally agree with gareth, if you have no experience in the trade stick to what you know best
Old 13-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Madbradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
Originally Posted by GARETH T

i totally agree with gareth, if you have no experience in the trade stick to what you know best
Also agree...

Best to have lots and lots of knowledge on the trade before you even think about it...
Old 14-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

stick to fish and chips its less hassle
Old 14-01-2008, 08:37 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine has his own bodyshop and makes a VERY good living out of it. He makes most of his money from Insurance Company contracts etc etc.... Since he has started about 5 years ago he now has a team of about 6 or 7 guys and clears about 30 - 40 cars a week. He does work for the public as well but not as much money in it as the insurance work.
Old 14-01-2008, 08:59 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

My dads mate used to own a body shop he wsant a panel beater or painter he had 2 guys work for him but if your neither i wouild advise you to stick with your fish & chip shop mate.As above you really need to get insurance companys on side to get steady contract work.If you were a panel beater or painter you could put alot of work & hours into it yours self & make the place work but without contract work it would be hard.From previous experiacne
Old 14-01-2008, 09:16 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the garage around the corner did bodywork and he did ok out of it

then he decided to take on more mechanical stuff and didn't have the team to do it

now he's bankrupt in the space of a year

bodywork is fine because you spray the car and someone hits it it's not your fault, but if something breaks then it goes back and forth and back and forth

it's like you dishing out a portion of dodgey chips, it's not likely to happen because you know what you are doing, but if you start to sell donor meat and it's not cooked properly the rest of your business will suffer as a reslut

i think going into a partnership with someone who knows what they are doing but can't do so wel with numbers would be the better choice if you wanted to change
Old 14-01-2008, 12:57 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for all the info guys. I know what you are all saying but I may have a GOOD painter interested in working for me. You never get anywhere without trying really and I wouldn't be selling my shop to do it at first, i'd get a manager in for that etc.

Steve (youth) may have to take you up on that offer matey but does Jacko know your trying to sell him off LOL
Old 14-01-2008, 01:06 PM
dojj

being a good painter and being a good bodywork guy are 2 totaly different things

unless he's good at both, then it's fair enough

but don't be lured into the trap of hiring someone because they are good and then having to fuck them off because you can't afford to pay them
Old 14-01-2008, 01:51 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
being a good painter and being a good bodywork guy are 2 totaly different things

but don't be lured into the trap of hiring someone because they are good and then having to fuck them off because you can't afford to pay them
He is very good at all aspects of body work mate. Used to work for the Aston Martin workshops and he works across the road from me in the garage. He's working on my escos as we speak and i wouldn't let any monkey work on my car

He's been prepping my car since thursday and it isn't getting painted till wednesday as he says a good job is 80% prep and 20% paint and polish.
Old 14-01-2008, 01:53 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

one thing is, start up cost for a nice bodyshop is expensive! a friend of mine just done 150k starting a business
Old 14-01-2008, 02:02 PM
dojj

if you think it is worth going for then do your homework and go for it if the numbers add up

obviously youain't going to just spunk £150k up the wall and not know what you are doing but it pays to have a joint venture at least at the start so that someone who has done the job before can give you pointers
Old 14-01-2008, 05:36 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well ultimately I dont think there is anything wrong with taking over a bodyshop and running it financially, afterall your going to have the fish and chip shop to look after still, and your probably going to hire a team to run the bodyshop and look after to books.

So long as you have a team that can look after the shop and do a good job and somewhere where there is a steady supply of work (it only bodyshop in an area, already does insurance work ect.) then I don't see why not, just make sure your secured for any losses.

Remember your the novice, you need a good team and a good market to pull from. But I say try it.
Old 14-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

Originally Posted by dojj

I would like to be a Painter

Ohh and good luck with the new business Scott if i was closer i would of been up for a business meeting
Old 16-01-2008, 10:48 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The peeps I know in the trade all want insurance work as they make more money.

One that i know tries to take the case on for you as his uncles brothers cousin is in the no win no fee trade and can pull some stunts to get you ££££

I declined, "just fix the car mate"
Old 16-01-2008, 03:16 PM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I work for Farecla as a tech rep. I get to see loads of bodyshops. Alot of the smaller ones are finding it hard due too the insurance companys giving all their work to the bigger ones.
There is alot of expence running one due to waste disposal of paints, thinners etc. Also it now costs loads to get rid of old bummpers. Wages are a factor as getting good staff, you need to pay a good wage or they wont stay!!

Sorry if that sounds a bit gloomy, if you do go a head, good luck!! Give us a shout and i will come and demo all my Farecla polish.

Smudge
Old 16-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Default Re: Bodyshops - How profitable as a business??

Originally Posted by ESCYSCOTT
i've currently got my own fish & chip shop which although makes me a living I feel i'm out growing it and need a change.

I've been thinking about possibly buying a bodyshop. It's something that interests me a lot and although I can't do the actual physical work I could do the business side and estimates etc.

Just wondering if anyone owns one that could give me a little info on them?

Thanks.
You can't beat a good chippie. Why not diverse a bit and sell battered black pudding. None of the chippies round here do it and I love it.
Old 16-01-2008, 05:21 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

plenty of customers with all the old ford round our way.......