General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Doing donuts....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@FastFord
Originally Posted by 89xr2
Agreed, say with bmx (as it's what i'm most familiar with) It is "normal" for people to ride right foot forward and spin anti clockwise or ride left foot forward and spin clockwise, however i know people who break these rules and ride left foot forward spin anticlockwise or vice versa. I've also found that for the latter these people also find it alot easier to spin the other way to their natural direction. Whereas I for example find it extremely difficult to spin in my opposite direction and as a result look like a complete spacker trying I also know riders who dont follow either rule, they can alternate between right or left foot forward and spin either direction totally naturally.

To some extent most people follow the normal rules but its definitely not set in stone.
thats a good point actually, i ride right foot forwards and can endo/stoppie round clockwise, but can i fuck do it the other way

also, on sunday i went tot he frest of dean mountain biking, there i fell off to the left, and the week before that i fell off to the right, so i guess im ambidextrous at crashing
funny you should say that as I do usually fall to the right when i fall off my bike.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Doing donuts....

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Proper controlled ones round an object, not just a car park chav special of firing it round randomly wherever it ends I mean.

Why is it so much harder to do it going anticlockwise than going clockwise!

Ive been told its because our brains are accustomed to righthand circles from roundabouts, so was wondering if anyone from a LHD country has found the opposite?
same as getting your knee down on a bike, so much easier on the right hand corners
Old 10-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Torque reaction from the engine aiding one way, but hindering the other?
wouldnt in transverse engine though would it?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red16
This was a longitudunal car.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say it is because most people have learnt to get the back end out and keep it out on roundabouts, as they are the perfect thing to practice on ... Going the other way is a bit harder as your motor skills are not as tuned in to that direction as they are to the more dominant side, and also the LHD/ RHD thing is a factor, much easier to see the side from which you are driving to judge distances etc

Practice would sort it I am 99% sure
Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Originally Posted by Red16
This was a longitudunal car.
fair do's
Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure it's as it's a rhd, only natural to be closest to centre of the rotation, easier to control from a mental perspective.
Otherwise you're looking across length of dashboard, and can't see the centre anywhere near as well, so brain prefers as you've found rhd-clockwise rotations.