General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

EBAY TURBOS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
benreader
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBAY TURBOS

what are people's opinions on these cheap ebay turbo's?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-T3-45-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

rather cheap

so there for id stay away
Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Heard good and bad but mostly bad.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Always under the impression cheap selling price because of cheap manufacturing costs. Shitty materials that will NOT live up to the job. you get what you pay for.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

ive got one from XS-Power

Wait till Stav is back from Tokyo and he will tell you what they are used on - ie some the fastest uk drag cars etc...

and at a few hundred quid, they look pretty bloody good!

of course people on here have used them and they have broke, so they can give 100% accurate info...

ok im lying, they havnt used them so of course say they are shite...

mine compared to the T34 i sold on

Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you ever actually USED them personally?

Ie on a car you have driven around for a period of time, not just bolted them on.

Not trying to pick a row, just curious as I keep seeing you mention "ive got one on my car" but as far as I know you havent ever actually used it, it just looks nice?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

you're right dan, I haven't used them. But I said UNDER THE IMPRESSION. Just my own opinion.

There was a guide on ebay some time ago (I didn't write it and don't know who did) absolutely slating the XS-Power turbos calling them all the names under the sun and ranting on about their very cheap craftsmanship and shocking quality of materials used. Its not on there any more though.

By all means if people have bought them and had a good success rate then go for them.

But before you do just ask yourself this... why do these turbo's cost £200 and others cost £1000+?? (at full rrp e.g. from burtons). A Garrett unit off ebay would still retail at about £300 odd anyway

They have to be making a profit selling at this price and as a rule of thumb its 3x as much as cost price. So this turbo could be worth about £66.

Like I said, if they are proven to be reliable then go for it. But its a £200 turbo on an engine probably worth thousands
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

Ie on a car you have driven around for a period of time, not just bolted them on.

Not trying to pick a row, just curious as I keep seeing you mention "ive got one on my car" but as far as I know you havent ever actually used it, it just looks nice?
i spun the blades round with my finger, does that count?

no, i have not used it on the engine yet as you all know it doesnt run yet.

Jason, the uk dealer of XSP has an evo and that uses all XSP stuff as its their demo car, and that has been fine, drag supras etc all run them, loads of stuff in the US uses them....

and some of them are doing 7 second quarters.

why is garrett and hks etc so expensive..? cos its all over priced
Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Im of the opinion with the cost difference its largely down to tolerance, making things accurately is expensive, making things "about right" isnt.

Obviously the dealers on garretts etc have a vested interest in keeping the price high, so its probably higher than it should be really based on the margins XSP make etc.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Turby2
Part of the Furniture

The higher cost also probably reflects the amount of money spent in R&D of this product and future products and also the about of quality control that goes on.

Cheaper ones are most likely just copies of this technology, probably without the manufacturer backup / spares / network and built to a lower spec with minimal quality control etc.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

it is a fair amount to do with the reputations of the companies. Garrett, HKS, Blitz, Apexi etc etc are all reputable and established companies that have a made a name for themselves amongst the Japs, US an UK markets. I will admit that Garrett units and the like are overpriced because of their name to a certain agree but you cannot defer from the fact they make quality products.

Other companies might be producing turbo's at much cheaper cost and to your good fortune you may find you may have a bought a solid turbo with no interntion of failing and serving you well in which case you would be very happy with your purchase.

However, I am more inclined towards the fact that cheaper turbo's are sold at a cheaper price due to the manufacturing costs being lower. So you might have an absolute shocker on your hands. It's that reservation that would play on my mind if I was to buy one.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

Fudge, get back in your kennel you flid!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
jaimesdna
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm now learning the hard way thay you do get what you pay for. sometimes cheap thing cost alot more in the long run. i had a cheap turbo once. suppose to be a t34 with a t4 compressor on the front all garret parts. lasted about 1000 miles. when taken apart by turbo technics they could not tell what it was. it there was no garret parts & they rekon it was probably lorry turbo parts