General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone in Double Glazing trade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in Double Glazing trade?

What should I expect to pay for a replacement double-glazed sealed unit for an aluminium patio door, approx 1910mm x 640mm, 12mm thick or so at a guess. Either fitted price or supply only.
My broken one is toughened glass by the look of how it's crazed into small segments - would they all be toughened by default now, or would I need to ask for that?

It's been broken for 8 months now, I really should get off my ass and replace it lol
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
kiddie
Advanced PassionFord User

It needs to be toughned by law. Your looking at about £50 for the unit, and about £70 for fitting.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah cool.. bit less than I was expecting
Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
kiddie
Advanced PassionFord User

To be honest if you call somebody out to measure it up, then go away and get the unit, then come back, remove the old one, fit the new one, and take the old one away its going to be expensive.

If you do it yourself then it's cheap. They are easy, just be very carefull with toughned glass as the edges are very vunable. Never stand it on concrete or anything hard. One little knock and you'll have two broken units!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by kiddie
To be honest if you call somebody out to measure it up, then go away and get the unit, then come back, remove the old one, fit the new one, and take the old one away its going to be expensive.

If you do it yourself then it's cheap. They are easy, just be very carefull with toughned glass as the edges are very vunable. Never stand it on concrete or anything hard. One little knock and you'll have two broken units!
yea I can appreciate that
the one that's in there just went bang on it's own, the inner pane just shattered one evening for no reason.. you can see where it started near the top corner, whether there was just some funny stresses or maybe it's wedged in there oddly I don't know.

I have no problem doing it myself - I guess it will need taking out to measure the size properly ..