General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PC help required again please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default PC help required again please

Right stuck again lol

Im on my new pc finall lol.

Ive got an external enclosure to put my other hd in and transfer files. Its all working fine untill i try to copy files over. I then get told i dont have permission to access. I go through all the crap to get access which works but then it asks for me to do the same for files in that folder too...theres hundreds of files so surely theres an easier way to do it than this? It will take 10 years if i have to go through the security thing for each file

Thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 AM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allright have u documents on a old harddrive from a previous pc.
you got a new pc and are trying to copy the files over onto the new hardrive for the new pc?? Are those documents in my documents on the old harddrive?? do u still have ur old pc ???

is ur new pc windows vista or xp?

The easiest thing if possible is to get ur old pc running just so u can boot into windows,, and then open 'my computer, then right click your my documents folder, then properties, sharing, and untick make this folder private...

failing that then u need to get the advanced security option up in windows
on ur new pc and under the owner setting, there is a checkbox for replace owner on subcontainers and objects,,, this option will tell windows to re-enable access to the new windows user,, which will unlock all files and subfolders within the folder u are trying to access...

so for example if all the files and folders are restricted access, in say my documents... if u enable the replace owner option,,, then all files within my documents will be accessable and u wont have to manually unlock each one. saving u 10 years
If i've confused u im sorry,,,
Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 AM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooh 1 important thing,,

was ur old operating system on ur old harddrive windows xp? and if so was it home edition or professional?

reason being home edition u have to be in safe mode to enable access to files, as the menu is hiden otherwise