General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

4x4 Cossy hub/driveshaft problem. Help pls ASAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2007, 11:31 PM
reisskahn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4x4 Cossy hub/driveshaft problem. Help pls ASAP!!!!

Hi i know its the wrong section but i need some answers and solutions ASAP regarding my 4x4 sapp.

Ive basically been having problems with the driveshafts. When i turn left the car makes a loud tocking noise and kinda vibrates depending on speed. We've inspected the car from underneath and seen the inner CV Boot(rubber cover thing) was off on the passengers side driveshaft (from the part that goes into the diff) So we've replaced the CV Boot with a genuine ford one and even tried a normal one from my local motor factors and when driving the car for a while all vibrations and noise go away. But it comes again and upon inspection the CV boot has come off again.

We've tie'd/jubiless clipped it back on but it doesn't hold for much time.
So today ive replaced both the drivshatfs with 2 good working ones and now the car vibrates in a straight line and and when turning Right or Left.
Its even worse from before.

So we put the old driveshafts back in and it only does it when turning left (has the CV boot keeps coming off) Its okay in a straight line or when turning right but makes a tock when turning left
Its already a b.... changing the shafts and this trial and error is doing my head in.

Has any ever had a problem like this before or know what the problem could be?

Cheers

Reiss
Old 18-12-2007, 11:39 PM
reisskahn

oh and forgot to mention the car is lowered but its not like there popping out or breaking etc.....

When i initally purchased the car i changed the drives side engine mount to a Vibra-Technics. So with just the one mount changed and the others STANDARD & still in good nick, could this be a causing a problem?
Old 18-12-2007, 11:40 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your engine mounts, these are 'normally' the cause of driveshaft issues!!

Is the car lowered a lot. as this causes probs too?
Old 18-12-2007, 11:40 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Have you checked your engine mounts??????

Common fault on 4x4's,put a trolley jack under the sump and jack the engine up slowly,you will probably see the engine lift and the mounts will be in 2 pieces

The engine can move around to much and this affects the driveshafts,they have only got so much tolerance for movement

Had this prob on my old 4x4,went threw 4 shafts before finding engine mounts at fault

I would say the CV joint that the boot is slipping off is knackered,prob too much play in the joint

Old 18-12-2007, 11:41 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by reisskahn
oh and forgot to mention the car is lowered but its not like there popping out or breaking etc.....

When i initally purchased the car i changed the drives side engine mount to a Vibra-Technics. So with just the one mount changed and the others still in good nick, could this be a causing a problem?
Could well do,wouldn't think they would be exactly the same size
Old 19-12-2007, 12:03 AM
reisskahn

erm yeh the car is lowered quite a bit and and am almost certainly sure the engine mounts are in good nick otherwise i would've known about it. Like mentioned the driveshatfs haven't broke/snapped or popped out just that the CV boot wouldn't stay PUT and after many trial and errors i can't seem to figure it out.

If i put a set of new shafts in the car goes crazy in a straight line and when turning either way. If i put the old ones back in i only have problems when turning left.

Could it be a distorted hub or ive just made that up lol? If not could it be that ive changed the drivers side mount to and uprated one and not the other?

cheers
Old 19-12-2007, 09:37 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by reisskahn
almost certainly sure the engine mounts are in good nick otherwise i would've known about it.
cheers
You do know about it now,its fooked up your driveshafts

Check engine mounts is easiest thing to do