General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

VW Golf 1.9 TDi NO BOOST!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Golf 1.9 TDi NO BOOST!!

any common problems on these cars??

my mate has a standard 52 plate 130bhp model...and when planting your foot it just 'whooshes' with no increase in performance.

Obviously it must be an air leak somewhere, but i couldn't see anything obvious last night.

any clues??
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a boost pipe directly behind the front bumper above the shit tray is prone to damage and often comes off or splits - especially if you park next to a high kerb and catch the shit tray with it - seen it a few times
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

or the elbow on the inlet.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Graceland
There is a boost pipe directly behind the front bumper above the shit tray is prone to damage and often comes off or splits - especially if you park next to a high kerb and catch the shit tray with it - seen it a few times
Does this pipe go to the intercooler??

thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by James
again i'll have a looksie.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

This is most likely. Drivers side boost pipes torn its clips off.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
thanks Stu...i'll give it a good look over tonight

i'll let you know if you are right

ps 'torn it's clips off' ....does this mean it's gonna need replacing? or just new clips needed??
Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bud-weis
Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
thanks Stu...i'll give it a good look over tonight

i'll let you know if you are right

ps 'torn it's clips off' ....does this mean it's gonna need replacing? or just new clips needed??
New pipe pal.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my mate just had this on his anni. Might be worth getting it hooked up to VAG COM to see if it was caused by overboosting as its a common fault on the diesels

the clips for the lower drivers side pipe are the only ones not available on their own, you need to get the whole pipe which is around Ł70 + VAT
Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Or sometimes the power steering pulley rubs through the plastic boost pipe to the left of the engine putting a nice hole in it...crap design really!!!

Name:  KnackeredBoostHose.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  112.7 KB

The ring of plastic was what I removed from the pulley that came from the pipe!!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

AFM's fail on the TD's too. this doesnt bring on the Engine warning light.

It wouldnt stop it running, but it would stop it going quickly.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Lee_R21Turbo
Or sometimes the power steering pulley rubs through the plastic boost pipe to the left of the engine putting a nice hole in it...crap design really!!!

The ring of plastic was what I removed from the pulley that came from the pipe!!

dodgy!!!

i've had a look...i've removed the metal pipe from the intercooler, then i'm going to remove the red pipe that goes ( well it comes from ) the turbo....only thing i have noticed so far is that the little joiner between the metal pipe and the i/cooler wasn't quite 'square' when it was clipped in?? like it wasn't pushed all the way in?.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

brake fluid level senders rubbed a hole in the top boost hose - thats my guess !
Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by markk
brake fluid level senders rubbed a hole in the top boost hose - thats my guess !
the black rubber one that joins the pic lee posted above??
Old 03-12-2007, 05:13 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

yes short hose goes onto that solid plasic pipe then onto the egr valve, if the brake level sender points towards that flexy pipe then it rubs away under full boost and chaffs a hole into the pipe, just fell that back of it, no need to remove it
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

dodgy!!!

i've had a look...i've removed the metal pipe from the intercooler, then i'm going to remove the red pipe that goes ( well it comes from ) the turbo....only thing i have noticed so far is that the little joiner between the metal pipe and the i/cooler wasn't quite 'square' when it was clipped in?? like it wasn't pushed all the way in?.
like this

Name:  03122007253.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  116.2 KB
enough to cause a problem??
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

yes short hose goes onto that solid plasic pipe then onto the egr valve, if the brake level sender points towards that flexy pipe then it rubs away under full boost and chaffs a hole into the pipe, just fell that back of it, no need to remove it

okey dokey will do...thankyou
Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

dodgy!!!

like this

enough to cause a problem??
the pics here show, a, a badly fitted solid plastic elbow, hence it rubbed away, and b, the lower intercooler, on the pipe there is an ally sleeve, on that sleeve are tow little 'ears' that when clipped in hold teh pipe behind teh steel clip, vibrations against the ally/steel rubs the ears away allowing the pipe to fall out, looking at yours its not too bad yet, if you release the clip it will allow you to look at teh rubber seal and the 'ears'
Old 03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

the pics here show, a, a badly fitted solid plastic elbow, hence it rubbed away, and b, the lower intercooler, on the pipe there is an ally sleeve, on that sleeve are tow little 'ears' that when clipped in hold teh pipe behind teh steel clip, vibrations against the ally/steel rubs the ears away allowing the pipe to fall out, looking at yours its not too bad yet, if you release the clip it will allow you to look at teh rubber seal and the 'ears'
i've removed the solid metal pipe and given it a good clean up....and i understand what you are saying about the 'ears'.

i had a few drips of oil when i removed the pipe...but nothing major.

ive refitted the sleeve ( with the red rubber as in the pic above) to the metal pipe and it now sits straight and snug....i'm not convinced this will be the problem though lol.

just gonna have some diner then go attack it some more.

thanks for the advice btw, much appreciated
Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

no worries - ask away - ive done ' alittle' work with these setups.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

I had this problem, cured half of it.

Finally the turbo blew so I replaced it with a replacment item however soon afterwards the car was flat as a fart. I changed the Airflow Meter and the car turned into the rocket again however only in the lower gears (1,2 and 3) when in 4th, 5th and 6th (longer gears) once planted down it hits a boost limit then goes into a limp mode with very slow response again. Once the car has been turned off and then on again it clears. Then I decided to take the car out with the VAG diagnosis equipment connected to it and when it goes into limp mode it indicates that there is a fault with the boost solinoids (which I have JUST replaced) therefore I am assumming that the small diameter vacuum hoses that are connected to the soliniods and the wastegate etc which look like they've seen better days should be replaced....thats my next mission. Hopefully that sorts it. It will be ok in the higher gears so long as you dont open full throttle, in other words if you feather the throttle / boost in its fine this kind of indicates a leak somewhere when boost builds up?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
scottp
PassionFord Regular

sticking VNT vanes are the main cause also, my bro cleared his by giving it the beans but you sometimes have to use a VAG com and this can then exercise the vanes.

Scott
Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by sunny

Finally the turbo blew so I replaced it with a replacment item however soon afterwards the car was flat as a fart. I changed the Airflow Meter and the car turned into the rocket again however only in the lower gears (1,2 and 3) when in 4th, 5th and 6th (longer gears) once planted down it hits a boost limit then goes into a limp mode with very slow response again. Once the car has been turned off and then on again it clears. Then I decided to take the car out with the VAG diagnosis equipment connected to it and when it goes into limp mode it indicates that there is a fault with the boost solinoids (which I have JUST replaced) therefore I am assumming that the small diameter vacuum hoses that are connected to the soliniods and the wastegate etc which look like they've seen better days should be replaced....thats my next mission. Hopefully that sorts it. It will be ok in the higher gears so long as you dont open full throttle, in other words if you feather the throttle / boost in its fine this kind of indicates a leak somewhere when boost builds up?
that does sound similar.

i haven't found anything wrong with it that's obvious.
all of the pipes have been refitted nice and tight, they were all in very good condition tbh.

i told him to book it in to VW and prepare for some 'pant pulling' action

it does boost a bit...but it doesn't pull like it used to, and it makes a loud whooshing noise.

i'm worried the turbo will blow 'cos he's been ragging it round even when it's been playing up, the turbo i presume will be overspeeding.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is exactly what my 1.9tdi quattro Avante does, VAG diagnostics said AFM, so I changed it, still did it, then I changed the boost solenoid and it still does it. My turbo is always whistling though? Make me think actuator is stuck open, allowing to much boost reulting in ECU switching to limp mode. On the motorway you can't go over 80 as it's under load and over 3000rpm hits the limit again?

Confused. otherwise an awesome car.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by andyescos

This is exactly what my 1.9tdi quattro Avante does, VAG diagnostics said AFM, so I changed it, still did it, then I changed the boost solenoid and it still does it. My turbo is always whistling though? Make me think actuator is stuck open, allowing to much boost reulting in ECU switching to limp mode. On the motorway you can't go over 80 as it's under load and over 3000rpm hits the limit again?

thats the VNT ring sticking in the turbo - and it will say on diag 'turbo/supercharger over boost limit exceded'
Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have heard you can buy a spray from garret that you spray into the turbo and it free's up sticking vnt systems, it sounds too good to be true, but apparently garret have spent a fortune developing it and it does actually work.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 AM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

thats the VNT ring sticking in the turbo - and it will say on diag 'turbo/supercharger over boost limit exceded'
Hi Markk,

although your theory technically sounds spot on it can't be the case as I have had the problem before my turbo blew, then I replaced the turbo and wastegate with brand new items however I am still getting the same thing, also gears 1,2 and 3 are pretty much fine due to the short gearing hence being on boost for lesser periods.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Had the same problem with my Anni just before I p/x'd it. The pipe had come adrift at the front, cost me Ł10 to have it fixed.

The turbo's on the 150bhp model (according to many) are prone for problems anyway. Mine used to stick causing a total loss of power at times. I do miss her though....
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
Had the same problem with my Anni just before I p/x'd it. The pipe had come adrift at the front, cost me Ł10 to have it fixed.

The turbo's on the 150bhp model (according to many) are prone for problems anyway. Mine used to stick causing a total loss of power at times. I do miss her though....
sounds like it went into limp home mode with the overboosting
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

I must admit I've never had any turbo problems (PD 150) - but I have had to replace a boost pipe (elbow in front of the brake res). But now my clutch has started to slip - not bad though 40k on a standard clutch with extra power.

The replacement clutch to handle the power is Ł400 (cheapest so far)
Old 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

are you staying with the dual mass flywheel or swapping it for the G60 single mass?

The main cure for the sticking vanes and the turbo coking up is to give it a lot of right foot lol
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Sticking with the DMF as the single is meant to be pretty loud.
If anyone can get discount on SACHS pm pls
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Bobby Singh
Sticking with the DMF as the single is meant to be pretty loud.
If anyone can get discount on SACHS pm pls
and me.... I need a new GT2 clutch... I suspect its not going to be a holiday!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

try LUK....i found out that they distribute sachs clutches boxed as LUK items..

mine for the M3 EVO is Ł192 all in.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Only problem is I need a performance clutch (able to handle 320+ torques) and as far as Im aware only Sachs do them. I can get a normal sachs (oem) for Ł100 but they (as in the supplier) dont do the performance range.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Hi Markk,

although your theory technically sounds spot on it can't be the case as I have had the problem before my turbo blew, then I replaced the turbo and wastegate with brand new items however I am still getting the same thing, also gears 1,2 and 3 are pretty much fine due to the short gearing hence being on boost for lesser periods.
if it wasnt a genuine manufacturer turbo then i stick by my diagnosis.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Genuine Garrett turbo. Correct version etc + the turbo on it that blew was from factory. Mate works for VW.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Genuine Garrett turbo. Correct version etc + the turbo on it that blew was from factory. Mate works for VW.
and it came from VW parts not a spurious supplied recon ? the you should be ok, if its a recon then my diag stands
Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

question is that it's fine in the early gears however the problem only occurs in 4th, 5th and 6th?

Quick Reply: VW Golf 1.9 TDi NO BOOST!!