General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

quick question for av bods

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2007, 07:23 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default quick question for av bods

right then, got a laptop with a female vga output which i want to hook into a telly
but the telly hasn't got a computer input so i need to hook it up with some sort of thing that will link into either the scart connector or the super video or even the ariel connector

i'vehad a look on the net but can't find what i'm after because i would need to buy 2 seperate kits to get what i'm after

has anyone got any ideas as to what sort of simple vga male connector that also has a simple scart connection on the other end and where i can get one from?

thanks in advance
Old 24-11-2007, 07:37 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I aint no "bod"

But in my opinion they have different type connectors on them for a reason

ie different signals that wont work with each other

Guess it could be done with adapters/converters but pretty deffo not a straight cable that it sounds like you after

All imo tho

Steve
Old 24-11-2007, 09:04 PM
dojj

the answer then is "bollocks"

both the flat screens have got the vga inputs but the rear projector hasn't, but it's got a few of them yellow video inputs so i was thinking of getting something to fit in there

but, as you say, it might be expensive
Old 24-11-2007, 09:07 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

im sure maplin do a lead which is RCA into VGA. You can then buy a scart plug which accepts the RCA.
Old 24-11-2007, 10:09 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Dojj, here's a quote from AVForums which you might want to heed

"I made the mistake of buying a Ł250 VGA - svideo converter thinking I might get a decent result. One word; Rubbish"

This will do the job, but suspect it won't be cheap.

http://www.vtx.co.uk/video/digiboxpc2tv.htm

Best leave it, whenever I've tried to connect my laptop with tv-out to the tv it looked crap (until I got a plasma screen )
Old 24-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Dojj - I tried to cross the same bridge myself - how to connect a computer with a normal VGA output to a CRT TV, which only has scart input. Can't be done I'm afraid, not without spending a LOT of money, and even then you won't get a great result. Reason has to do with scan rates, hertz frequencies and a combination of horizontal and vertical scan lines.

However, I did buy this which worked;

http://www.syretail.co.uk/products/G...d_View_II.html

It's not perfect, but it worked. I allowed me to plug into the VGA on the PC end, and connect to the TV using either s-video, composit or full RGB scart.

I don't need it anymore as I replaced the graphics card in the PC, and that had an S-video connection built in, so I just use that now for ease of use.

You can have it for Ł20 if you want Like I said, don't expect it to look as good as a PC does on a monitor, or as sharp as the laptop screen, and also realise that you need a much lower resolution when plugging into a TV using an analogue connection then you use on a PC (ie, your PC is probably 1024x768, you would need to probably use 800x600 on a TV using an analogue connection) but like I said, Ł20 if you want it. It's perfect if you want to view video content from your lappy/PC on your TV, as video content isn't rendered in the same way as the desktop is - video comes directly from the motherboard, and isn't scaled in the same way, so it's just as good on the TV as on the lappy screen
Old 25-11-2007, 12:45 PM
dojj

is it just a plug and play thing then?
not too worried about the quality as the rear projetor is a 52" 4:3 unit and the upscaling from the 17" laptop with it's widescreen is going to be a bit strange anyway

as long as it works and comes with cables etc hen yes, i'll have it from you
Old 25-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Yeah just plug and play. It draws power from the PC/lappy using a USB socket so no external power plug needed, and you can connect to the TV in full RGB using the provided scart cable, or in CvBS using composite (single yellow RCA) cable or s-video (neither of which are provided, tight fuckers ) You do do get the special scart lead, the USB power lead (probably cos these are the only ones specific to the unit I guess) and a VGA to VGA cable for connecting the lappy/PC to the unit.

Remember one thing tho, VGA from the PC will only output video signals, not audio! You will need to run an audio cable from the pc/lappy to the TV/amp to get sound

If you want it, Ł20 to you (plus a couple quid to cover postage please). Bank transfer or cheque, or cash in the post if you are brave!

PM me let me know what you wanna do, as I was actually gonna put it on ebay this afternoon - just waiting for batteries to charge
Old 25-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Actually, I have a spare composite lead (yellow RCA video lead) which I'll chuck in for you, but I don't have any s-video leads, sorry. I actually only bought cos it's the only one that has proper RGB scart output
Old 25-11-2007, 01:39 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by dojj
not too worried about the quality as the rear projetor is a 52" 4:3 unit and the upscaling from the 17" laptop with it's widescreen is going to be a bit strange anyway
Dojj, it won't upscale, it will downscale

Laptop resolution at worst will be 1024x768, or better. A CRT TV can only do 576 lines which is the PAL standard.

So, while the TV screen is physically larger, it actually displays fewer lines and columns than even the oldest laptop.

The only reason I could see for wanting to display laptop screen onto a TV is if you are playing a movie on the laptop and want it on a bigger screen Anything else (web browsing, etc... will not be very good).

Just resize your laptop screen to 800x600 to get an idea of how much you can see on the screen at once, and then, imagine the overall picture quality (sharpness of text, etc...) worse than the laptop shows... that will give you a rough idea of what to expect on a TV.

Size isn't everything you know
Old 25-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Oi, stop trying to sabotage my sale

I now have a dedicated PC hooked up to my CRT TV (again 576 horizontal lines like Frog says) connected via analogue cable. I use it to watch films, either KVCD, AVI/DivX format or DVD VOB/VTS files, and it's perfect! Quality is crystal clear, and of course whilst it does rely on the quality of the file, most are near DVD quality, with no loss of sharpness or any fuzzyness etc. All I do to combat the aspect ratio (cos the PC outputs 4:3 like this little converter box does) is manipulate it with VLC Media Player (which is what I use to play the files cos it allows the full multichannel bitstream audio aswell) to 4:3 (thus shrinking a widescreen film to square, then the TV stretches it back to widescreen. Even after all this, the quality is spot on.

True that desktop is somewhat reduced quality, but even on my little 36" widescreen TV, I can read most webpages, read file names in folders, use the library function of Windows Media Player etc..... So it's isn't too prohibative of functions
Old 25-11-2007, 05:48 PM
dojj

mr frog

i totaly understand but the only reason is that he wants the ability to watch movies and stuff on the telly rather than strain on the laptop

plus he's got a dvd player in the laptop that will play just about anything against the dvd player he's got which won't play anythng other than proper dvd stuff

thrush

pm replied
Old 26-11-2007, 07:42 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Thrush
Oi, stop trying to sabotage my sale
I wasn't trying to (sounds like I would have failed anyway)

I use it to watch films, either KVCD, AVI/DivX format or DVD VOB/VTS files, and it's perfect! Quality is crystal clear
That's what I said (or wanted to)

True that desktop is somewhat reduced quality, but even on my little 36" widescreen TV, I can read most webpages, read file names in folders, use the library function of Windows Media Player etc..... So it's isn't too prohibative of functions
I found trying to use a PC on a TV via an s-video connection rather painful
Old 26-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I must admit, then if you try n surf like you would on a proper PC monitor, you feel like yo uare pissed

But after a few tweeks it can be made acceptable. Microsoft's power toy "Clear Type Tuner" can tweak it, you can adjust the standard font size to compensate, and a few other bits n bobs to sharpen it up a tad