General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

question to all body builders on here !!

Search this Thread

Old 28-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question to all body builders on here !!

a pall of mine who i go gym with has a issue hes been trying to get over

he cant seem to get past 60kg each side on the press,,,, hes been like it for about 3 months now,,, just cant get past it and hes getting pains in hes elbow too

how do you get over that ???

ps: also how can i get rid of my ironing board back,,,, but it aint important

seriously though ive gone from doing 25kg a side up to 40kg a side but he cant get more than 60kg for more than 5 reps
Old 28-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

So he's benching 140kg? Why the fuck do you need to go beyond that unless he's competing
Old 28-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

hes tying to get up to 17 stone next year

hes trying to get bigger,,, hes getting cut and hes traps are getting bigger but hes trying to run away as im chasing him

maybe its a guy thing

anyway he wants to be rodney coleman or what ever the geezers called,,,, i aint bothered as when i go out with him theres no issues

remeber we go gym 4 times a week,,, hes frustrated as he feels like hes hit a wall ( and a fat ginger bloke is catching up to him )
Old 28-10-2007, 09:27 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

probably reached his natural max body strength/size needs the roids to get bigger
Old 28-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd guess at his diet, some once said to me "you want to be a 18 stone body builder, you need to eat like an 18 stone body builder"
Old 28-10-2007, 09:29 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of interest what's he curling if he's benching that much?
Old 28-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by 89xr2
Just out of interest what can he curl if he's benching that much?
the most they got in our gym is 38's, before you say it we aint going to a roid infested gym !!!!!

hes arms are just under 22ins,,,, hes not worried about them its just he cant lift more

diet is being looked at but hes a big eater anyway and dont eat pork, only eats steak/chicken

we started on the whey protien 2 weeks ago rather than just normal protein shakes

Trending Topics

Old 28-10-2007, 09:35 PM
89xr2
Brap!

if he can only manage 5 reps on the 60's then he needs to drop the weights down and do more reps with something slightly lighter surely? then increase the reps and then go back up to the 60's?
Old 28-10-2007, 09:37 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why are people obsessed with what they can bench press?

i used to be like that many years ago,as much weight for a couple of reps and pushed up in any form as long as it goes up.start with 20kg either side to warm up,then up to 40kg for as many as poss(5-8),then 50 for 3-5 assisted reps,then another 10 each side for one rep!
that was when i was 25 years old!suppose it made me feel good!

now i get a much better feel when using much lighter weights,proper form.but now im a fat 37 year old
Old 28-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if he can only manage 5 reps on the 60's then he needs to drop the weights down and do more reps with something slightly lighter surely? then increase the reps and then go back up to the 60's?
he can do 15 reps of 50 each side though as thats what hes been trying

thats the way we was looking at it

btw the reps are to the chest not half bent reps either,,,, he can do down to 4 ins before hes chest but not touch and go up or hes elbow plays up,,, meaning hes gotta go down the weights
Old 28-10-2007, 09:42 PM
robocos
Regular Contributor

He has reached a plateau and needs a different approach rather than just keep trying to do the same thing.

Try dropping back to say around 75% of what he's lifting now and build up again adding weight very slowly each time. It may take a few weeks but it's a proven technique for some.

Also try a little more weight for fewer reps for a few sets and then drop back to slightly more than what he's lifting now. The weight is lighter but psychologically it feels MUCH lighter.

The muscle between your ears is almost always the hardest muscle to condition.
89xr2
Brap!

Sounds like tendonitis possibly in his elbow? is 15 the max he can do at 50 or can he do 15 then rest for a minute then do another 15?
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
why are people obsessed with what they can bench press?

i used to be like that many years ago,as much weight for a couple of reps and pushed up in any form as long as it goes up.start with 20kg either side to warm up,then up to 40kg for as many as poss(5-8),then 50 for 3-5 assisted reps,then another 10 each side for one rep!
that was when i was 25 years old!suppose it made me feel good!

now i get a much better feel when using much lighter weights,proper form.but now im a fat 37 year old
jay we are doing proper reps,,, no back bending half assisted shite, well tbh,,,, thats one of the issues is i cant actually spot him as i cant lift the weights WHEN HE CANT FUCKING LIFT EM

i do 8's not 10's as i get burning in my joints bad after 8 on lighter weights and so i sort of hit a wall and would need to loose the fat on me to see the actual difference

i went to doing 8's on 40kg and im growing again,,,,,, plus it means i dont have to take off the 10 AND the 20 to stick the 10 back on then reverse for hes go
Old 28-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Sounds like tendonitis possibly in his elbow? is 15 the max he can do at 50 or can he do 15 then rest for a minute then do another 15?
he can do 100 at 15 reps and rest whilst i do my girly weights

we have tried the lowering weights,,,, hes tried fighting it and its not in hes mind,, he cant get moe reps unless he cheats
Old 28-10-2007, 10:15 PM
DaveyBoyS1
Part of the Furniture

You say he's 'getting cut'... do you mean cutting to loose body fat?

If so he won't make the same gains as if he was bulking... i.e consuming more calories than he's burning. I would look at my diet first... weights second. Muscles only grow when they have the energy/calories to do so. Strength will follow.
Old 28-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Alg1k
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its 90% diet 10 % training
Im 15 st and took and age to get to
308lb
I had to do a lot more tricep training
And a better diet
Now im as strong as fuck in this area and can piss 308
But it took a long while
I found my press came on alot as well i can now do 120k
10 reps easy
I think people forget sometimes how important the triceps are
In these disiplins,
Or i could be i have no powersteering in my Dolopofshit
Hope this helps...
Old 28-10-2007, 11:21 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://passionford.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Old 28-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

hes tri's are quite big aswell

there 2 bumps on the back of each arm unlike my single one

so the whey protein and carry on,,,, thats they idea we are trying anyway tbh but just wanted advice to see if that would help

NOW about my straight back that looks like a ironing board,,,,, how to i get that like hes as everyone in the gym takes the piss out of it
Old 28-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Interesting - can people just use one currency?

If its on a full olympic bar (which weighs 20kg's) add the weight of the plates on either side and lets talk about ONE single weight.

I'm crap at bench and can only manage a single rep of 100kgs - best ever was 105 but that was a couple of years ago ( I always get into it then get dragged away then make a come back!)

I deadlifted 185kgs for a single today which isn't too bad with no belt. My best ever is 207.5kgs for a single.

Any of you guys deadlift? I fvcking love it

RW
Old 28-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Alg1k
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
NOW about my straight back that looks like a ironing board,,,,, how to i get that like hes as everyone in the gym takes the piss out of it
Wear a baggy top like i do it hides my party 7 as well
Old 28-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Steven_RW

If its on a full olympic bar (which weighs 20kg's) add the weight of the plates on either side and lets talk about ONE single weight.

I'm crap at bench and can only manage a single rep of 100kgs - best ever was 105 but that was a couple of years ago ( I always get into it then get dragged away then make a come back!)

I deadlifted 185kgs for a single today which isn't too bad with no belt. My best ever is 207.5kgs for a single.

RW
i cant dead lift due to a fucked lower back,,,, was on morphine for pain in february and i AINT going back there EVER again !!!

the bar is 20kg's but it confuses people i guess hence why i mention sides

i do clean and jerks,,,, fuck knows if thats the name but you lift from the floor to above your head in 3 motions,, thats fucking hard but good for stamina ive found though i cant flick it up to my chest if ive got 20kg each side on the bar,,, guess imlimp wristed

i also got a fucked shoulder so when i use the incline press with 30kg or more each side i cant balance is due to my shoulder lowering,,,, but thats ok as 3 months ago it was 20kg that was doing it
Old 28-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Its a plateau. Change your workouts about as it would appear you've been doing the same sort of thing for too long?

To built strength the reps need to be lower and the weights heavier. Maybe add another 5kgs to the sides and do a set or 2-3 reps. Then come down in weight a bit for his next heavy set. Try that for a few weeksn them when he goes back to 120 on the bar it will feel lighter to him, should be able to push more than 5 for sure.

Also I personally do 3 heavy sets on flat bench on 120-130Kgs (7-8 unaided reps then 2-3 with a spot) and then drop it back down to 100 for a burn up. Heavy sets pump you up and build strenght but I don't feel the burn with them. I personally need to strectch on the lighter weight.

Maybe try dumbells, drop sets etc etc. Lots of different things to try.

Do you train incline too? If so do that prior to flat and vice versa. Do yourself some damage and walk out of the gym feeling like you have trained hard then you will both see the benefit.

Oh and as said, keep up the protein intake. Even on days when you don't train. The first place you body looks for energy when you've not consumed enough is the muscles

HTH's
Old 28-10-2007, 11:39 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

I've just started back at the gym and the other day I started getting pain in my left shoulder. This is not uncommon for me but doesn't happen that much and hasn't happened at the gym before. Just sometimes the shoulder feels kind of weak with a bit of pain even if I'm not actually using it. it's kind of on the top side of my shoulder from around the end of the shoulder - top of the bicep. Anyone any ideas?

I ain't got time for doctors
Old 29-10-2007, 12:00 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

speak to Jaycos
Old 29-10-2007, 03:16 AM
robocos
Regular Contributor

RW
I'm with you there....
Plus squats....

Big compound movements are hard to beat
Old 29-10-2007, 04:13 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

RW
Fair one! never done it myself , I prefer bench tbh
Old 29-10-2007, 06:29 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

When I was deadlifting and squatting it was the only time I felt like I was really getting somewhere strengthwise.

I hurt my back in december last year (it's always been crap) and haven't done either since

A couple of months ago I'd recovered enough to do some basic work but not deads or squats and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere (relatively speaking)

I used to love deadlifting, cool buzz from it. Hated squats though

I however won't be offering advice because a guy benching 60kg dumbells needs no advice from me It sounds more like his body is giving in to me.
Old 29-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nice deadlifting there Steve, my best was 250kg but that was 10 years and 3 stones of extra muscle ago.

Ginge - he's struggling to get to 17 stone but has 22 inch arms?? - is the first 4 inches missing off the tape measure or does he have chicken legs
Old 29-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers Paul

I always feel that real strength comes from Bench - Deadlift and squats.

Theres something about using so many muscles all at once rather than just isolating one.

I also find that if I concentrate on those three excercises and never miss out on them, that I tend to go injury free. Having a really strong back and legs from squating just makes u feel properly strong.

I have only been back at the gym for about 3 to 4 weeks now. Did 150kg as my big single after week 2, then 170, then 185 on Sunday. Hope to crack 200 in the next couple of weeks. I find the squats and the deadlifts really back each other up. IE if you train both, the other naturally becomes better.

I am not sure what my theoretical max will be (ie what I EVER see myself doing in deadlifts) I hope it’s a bit over 200 kgs, maybe 220kgs or something. Just depends if work stops me from training for a while - cos u just can't pick up a 200 kg deadlift bar if u haven't been training for a while - it’s a guaranteed injury

Since we are talking about Bench press - I want to ask the following.

I am not very good at it, could be how long my arms are (it makes for a seriously long movement when compared to my lighter shorter mate who can bench 130kg for a single) and I find that arching my back when I get tired really helps. Why is this? Does it use a different muscle group? It seems to be a similar movement to a decline bench due to the extra angle. Anyway - does this increase my chance of injury and should I perhaps just go easy?

Cheers guys and always good to chat gym.

RW
Old 29-10-2007, 06:19 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Ginge - he's struggling to get to 17 stone but has 22 inch arms?? - is the first 4 inches missing off the tape measure or does he have chicken legs
He's 4ft 2
Old 29-10-2007, 08:43 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

when your bodies physical and mental limits are reached medical science provides the solution.
Old 29-10-2007, 08:58 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by mechanic28
probably reached his natural max body strength/size needs the roids to get bigger
Total rubbish.
Old 30-10-2007, 12:31 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
Originally Posted by mechanic28
Total rubbish.
Er, why?
Old 30-10-2007, 12:45 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

quick vid of your mate at the gym

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaF8jbgA_xo
Old 30-10-2007, 12:48 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

Originally Posted by fuzzy
when your bodies physical and mental limits are reached medical science provides the solution.
amen

read a book on gear and make your own opinion, thats my advice to the 'roid haters'.

they have a bad name because of the doorman dickheads who strut about all veiny and swollen lol

taken correctly they are no more harmful to you than a heavy night on the town, and give awesome results.

you'd be suprised how many people are on it, that dont let on
Old 30-10-2007, 12:56 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

pmsl at that video.
taken correctly they are no more harmful to you than a heavy night on the town, and give awesome results
short term perhaps, long term is a different matter (HPTA etc)
Old 30-10-2007, 01:46 PM
OvaBoost
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

It's called a platue (Spelling lol!) and you need to bust through it to progress, you dont need roids or none of that shit lol
Old 30-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

imho roids is the body equivalent to nitrous. Not needed but you get some damn good effects. Its not for everyone though and homework needs to be done.

But what do I know, I have less than 5000 worthless posts so I will just be ignored.
Old 30-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Nice deadlifting there Steve, my best was 250kg but that was 10 years and 3 stones of extra muscle ago.

funny you should say that paul,,,,,,, no joke but he aint actually got big legs and i aint taking the piss either

cheers for the help and advice though,,,,, see a post on a subject you know about and the INSTANT reply is not offer some help but attempt to talk down cause you dont belive ??

if you read the thread you might understand what i was talking about,,,, its not hes struggling with 55 and then cant do 60,, its he can do 100 of 55 in sets starting of 15,,,, but cant do 10 with 60 which IS strange

btw we aint into the whole body building thing like you, we dont bother with legs or squats as we are working on areas we find of interest

bit like asking why you own a CSL when you could buy a family car for shopping and taking the kid about

its called personal choice i guess

dont supose you could actually give some help/advice to based on your years of going gym ect that could help, seriously would appriciate it
Old 30-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

OK Ginge, here's my advice..............

Tell him to start training legs, properly. And I'm not taking the piss

Quick Reply: question to all body builders on here !!