General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

tool boxes and tools what brands are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 27-10-2007, 11:53 AM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default tool boxes and tools what brands are you using?

I was looking for a new roll cab and top chest,

I didn't want to go for snap-on. i thought they were a bit over priced for what i was needing.

I ended up getting a roll cab and chest from sealey, one of the superlinepro ones it looked like good value for what i got, has anyone used these? how did it last?

what brands do you use?

cheers in advance.
Old 27-10-2007, 11:55 AM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could never fault Beta. Lifetime guarantee, well made and cheaper than snap on
Old 27-10-2007, 11:57 AM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use snap on and facom as there the only makes we are allowed to use at work
Old 27-10-2007, 11:59 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

britool tool boxes are made by waterloo, and if you buy from waterloo they are half the price

how do i know....? because i caught my britool dealer swapping the badges
Old 27-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Some cheap & cheerful chest & cab that i bought off the head mechanic when he upgraded to a snap on boxs.
Old 27-10-2007, 01:07 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i use draper expert, by no means the dearest but i find them to be good quality, i abuse them and they stand up to it lol
Old 27-10-2007, 01:10 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

here mine and its a lot bigger in real life and a 3rd of the price of the same size box of britool

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250163920708
Old 27-10-2007, 01:29 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mac tools here
Old 27-10-2007, 01:32 PM
PeterD
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive got taskmaster stuff, works fine, gets stolen easy though
Old 27-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by MAD EVO 4
Seriously? Seems a bit OTT.

For Amateur/enthusiasts. Just get a Halford Pro or Clarke stuff.
Old 27-10-2007, 04:33 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i bought mine from halfords when they were on offer

and most of my tools too (but thats for sets of stuff i get now if i needed to get something, before i would just buy anythign that came to hand as and when i needed it so i've still got stuff from 20 eyars ago )
Old 27-10-2007, 04:46 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mines snapon and cost 6 grand but it costs allot more 2 fill it
Old 27-10-2007, 04:47 PM
**nick**
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i have american pro tool roll cab & top box that cast about Ł1200 cramed with snap on, signet, facom & mac tools that ive lost count on how much i spent but i know its to much lol.
Old 27-10-2007, 04:49 PM
mikee_rs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

nothing wrong with halfords professional
Old 27-10-2007, 04:52 PM
simon170
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Sealy roller bearing tool chest, Halfords Pro and Kennady tools
Old 27-10-2007, 04:59 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rich_w
Seriously? Seems a bit OTT.

For Amateur/enthusiasts. Just get a Halford Pro or Clarke stuff.
mate he works on serious machines. Racecars etc so plenty of money pumped into them
Old 27-10-2007, 05:02 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have to confess to using a Taskmaster 3 over 3 top box from my local Part Co. (now unipart)

Was around Ł100 trade and I have to say its really good, real nice rollerbearing draws, very nicely made.

HOWEVER.. their mid box and bottom box although they look the same are not of the same quality so I suspect they are made by someone else.

Available in black or red....

Alternatively if you want something thats as big as a house, I saw some stainless ones in Northampton Motorsport the other day for around Ł1000 for a huge one.

Had proper industrial castors on the bottom, nice hydraulic struts for the top, draws all opened lovely.

the only thing is the brush stainless did give it a little bit of a kebab shop feel... but a hell of a thing for the money.
Old 27-10-2007, 05:08 PM
JoeE30
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When on the tools i had all snap-on, limited edition corvette box and roll cab. Loaded with snap-on tools.....got the box at 16 with my mum as the gaurentee(spl) and finished on the tools about 4 yrs ago and had paid over 14k worth drip with snap-on...them pesky sales men....lol
Old 27-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by PT

mate he works on serious machines. Racecars etc so plenty of money pumped into them
I know, Snap On is industry standard and all. But still seems a bit off to insist they use that particular brand(s)
Old 27-10-2007, 05:13 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PT

I know, Snap On is industry standard and all. But still seems a bit off to insist they use that particular brand(s)
Yep I work on very expensive race cars and the odd expensive rd cars, certain people stipulate that we only use these tools like on when we work on mclaren f1's

Old 27-10-2007, 05:21 PM
JoeE30
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Got to say i agree,

you wouldnt want to have a kitchen fitter mitre your worktops with a hammer and screw driver....yo would want him to have the best tools to get the best job....

If the mechanic and garage spend lots on tools it shows that thet are serious about the job they do....
Old 27-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by JoeE30
Got to say i agree,

you wouldnt want to have a kitchen fitter mitre your worktops with a hammer and screw driver....yo would want him to have the best tools to get the best job....

If the mechanic and garage spend lots on tools it shows that thet are serious about the job they do....

poppy cock !,,,,, it shows they aint got much money so buy stuff on credit and stupid rates and aint got a clue what a decent tool looks like use what they are TOLD is the best

ps: all my screwdrivers are snap-on but the rest is a mix of tools based on the quality rather than a name
Old 27-10-2007, 05:39 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
Originally Posted by JoeE30
Got to say i agree,

poppy cock !,,,,, it shows they aint got much money so buy stuff on credit and stupid rates and aint got a clue what a decent tool looks like use what they are TOLD is the best

ps: all my screwdrivers are snap-on but the rest is a mix of tools based on the quality rather than a name
Old 27-10-2007, 05:40 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hey I have enough money and dont put nothing onto credit, so I dont have stupid rates and yes I do know what a decent tool looks like.
Old 27-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Hey I have enough money and dont put nothing onto credit, so I dont have stupid rates and yes I do know what a decent tool looks like.
i wasnt talking about you

your a tech,,, so you KNOW what im on about

theres nothing wrong with credit,,,,,,its down to personal choice

i have a industrial oven/sink ect and a kitchen thats cost LOADS of money with LCD monitors in the walls to watch tv

BUT WE ONLY COOK CHICKEN BREAST AND PASTA and eat chinese take aways the other days

ive actually got 2 sinks an a tap that s got a shower on it that cost me 250 quid from ikea,,,,, BUT WE GOT A DISHWASHER

not everything is like it seams

oh i also got a 50ins plasma aswell as a projector in my front room and a ps2,,, yet i dont watch tv or play computer in my spare time but post on here
Old 27-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i also own 9 mountain bikes,, theystand me in almost 7k,,,,, ive never rode a bike since i was 18
Old 27-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i also own a marshal half stack and a gibson less paul guitar in sunburst orange with humbuker pick ups and a wireless transmiter,,,,,,, i aint played guitar since i was in school
Old 27-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by PT

Yep I work on very expensive race cars and the odd expensive rd cars, certain people stipulate that we only use these tools like on when we work on mclaren f1's

Anybody that specifies that is clearly a numpty. Its not the tool in your hand its the ability of the user. I would get the same result using a Halfords Pro 13mm I get with my Snap On Flank drive super dooper 13mm. Our apprentice doesnt do fuckall right regardless of the thousands of pound debt he's got with our dealer.

BTW, I notice your company is claiming the Le Mans 95 win. Curious that, as DPR actually ran that car
Old 27-10-2007, 06:03 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PT

Anybody that specifies that is clearly a numpty. Its not the tool in your hand its the ability of the user. I would get the same result using a Halfords Pro 13mm I get with my Snap On Flank drive super dooper 13mm. Our apprentice doesnt do fuckall right regardless of the thousands of pound debt he's got with our dealer.

BTW, I notice your company is claiming the Le Mans 95 win. Curious that, as DPR actually ran that car

Nope I think you will find Paul Lanzante ran the car for Mclaren, with the sole main sponser - Uno clinic
Old 27-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by PT

Nope I think you will find Paul Lanzante ran the car for Mclaren, with the sole main sponser - Uneo clinic
Hmmmm. Ive just checked some other sites. Some say Pricey was involved, some don't. did he work for Lanzante at the time or something?
Old 27-10-2007, 06:18 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Craftsman

I must ask...you snap-on guys, the snapon ratchet screwdrivers.....has yours broken yet?! Theyre wank, mine and everyone I know who has one their ratchet mechanism has broken. They wont replace it, just sell me another ratchet kit? Coonts.

Craftsman is a great brand, cheap in the states, but good quality and lifetime warrenty
Old 27-10-2007, 06:21 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PT

Nope I think you will find Paul Lanzante ran the car for Mclaren, with the sole main sponser - Uneo clinic
Hmmmm. Ive just checked some other sites. Some say Pricey was involved, some don't. did he work for Lanzante at the time or something?
All I can do is ask mate, which I will do on Monday

anyway back on topic
Old 27-10-2007, 06:22 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PhilM
Craftsman

I must ask...you snap-on guys, the snapon ratchet screwdrivers.....has yours broken yet?! Theyre wank, mine and everyone I know who has one their ratchet mechanism has broken. They wont replace it, just sell me another ratchet kit? Coonts.

Craftsman is a great brand, cheap in the states, but good quality and lifetime warrenty
Nope my big handled or small handled rachet screw drivers have never broke
Old 27-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Touch Wood, Ive never had a problem with broken mechanisms. They've always replaced them for free. Having said that, maybe theres an element of desretion in there. I dont owe much more than Ł50 or so, and pay regularly. Maybe Im a better customer so get better service.

EDIT. Didnt see Ratchet screwdrivers Never broken one of those yet. Not quite sure how you can tbh
Old 27-10-2007, 06:43 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

I've never taken any credit with any snapon retailers, always pay cash, for the few things I own of that brand!

The selector doesnt click from oneside to another properlly, it'll jam up in the CW or CCW position. Also, you occasionally get a really clunky ratchet click rather than the smooth mechanism its supposed to be.

Usually a quick rebuild & lube sorts them out, but for a Ł60 screwdriver, I really shouldnt have to!

And to top it off, the magnet fell out the end the other day
Old 27-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Snap On tool boxes.... I don't give a fuck what anyone says, Snap On DO make shit hot tool boxes.... Best one I've ever had and I've had a few (Draper, Clarke (Machine Mart), Sealy) and my Snap On has been fucking superb, and still in EXACTLY the same condition it was when I got it, and considering it's been on my van, bounced about over speed bumps, kerbs, building sites, and involved in two road accidents ( ) thats saying something.... The others listed above were pants and didn't survive at all The Machine Mart "Clarke" one lasted about 4months
Old 27-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Craftsman

Had mine for YEARS, and never faulted once, and it's used every (working) day without fail. I reckon I must put in a good few hrs a day solid usage from it. Never jammed, never stuck, never slipped, been fucking faultless. And I;ve never lubed or oiled it
Old 27-10-2007, 06:51 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Is yours an old-style or new-style one?

Seems to be the new ones that have the crap mechanism in them;

Old "good" ones.

New bad ones!
Old 27-10-2007, 06:52 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My 2 are of the old design had them for a good 6/7 yrs
Old 27-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I had one of them, fooking lost it Shame as I really liked it. The soft grip ones are nice, but when you need to put pressure on a screw the old design was a little more comfortable in your hand with the domed end piece, whereas the newer ones end pieces are flatter and not as comfortable. I keep meaning to buy an older one off ebay or something, but never get round to it

Quick Reply: tool boxes and tools what brands are you using?