General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Trading standards and net connection :(

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2007 | 09:56 PM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Trading standards and net connection :(

Wondering if anyone knows about consumer rights and net speeds etc. I am staying in accomodation that was advertised as having "high speed internet 24/7" in the brochures etc that i used to make my choice. The connection is absolute pants, at peak times it is just about dead. Does anyone know what my rights are under trading standards? How would i prove they are not meeting a standard as the text is vague eg the "high speed internet 24/7"
I have run a few tests on speedtest.net and saved them. Is there a better, more official way to do it? Results were 81kbps download and 61kbps upload so you can see how utterly useless it is!!!!!!!

Can anyone help me in the best way to go about this as many residents are very P'd off at this and we want to get it sorted? I was hoping they were in breach of trading standards given the advertising.

Thanks for any experienced help

Martin
Old 21-10-2007 | 10:04 PM
madrs247
Regular Contributor

who is ur sp??? just that some share bandwith

i.e a 4meg linkup will be split between 4 users each getting 1meg each-at off peak,but if ur all on @ the same time,then ur fooked coz it will be dead

also u need to find out how far away from ur local telephone exchange u are,as this may also be a factor of the low speed
Old 21-10-2007 | 10:43 PM
dumped

The issue is that it is a shared connection for many many users. It could also be 200 miles away from the local exchange but this was not how it was advertised, hence i dont care apart from the crap service to me the person with the contract of accomodation that advertised "high speed internet 24/7"

Thats why i want to know how to test it properly if speedtest.net etc is not acceptable and what my consumer rights are. Also if there is an industry standard that is being broken etc.

Cheers for help

Martin
Old 22-10-2007 | 05:19 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

ofcom
Old 22-10-2007 | 12:30 PM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

You can complain, and they can try and help.... but thats about it.

Standard home adsl in the uk is usually a 'max' service, so the speed that the isp quote, is the maximum possible speed achieveable in a perfect environment. Unless its specified in the T&Cs then what you got is what you get.

Unless you have a service level agreement, which only usually comes with top end business and leased line packages, theres no much more todo.
Old 22-10-2007 | 02:06 PM
fish99

Mate I know how you feel... funnily enough I have just been onto Virgin media about my Cable internet. I pay £37 a month for a 20mb connection and have been getting some really pants download speeds lately. I had the engineer around here about an hour ago and he says the fastest he can get from my line is about 8Mb because they have too many people on the servers at the moment. gets my goat because im only getting half for what I pay. I do understand that its down to how busy the network is etc but come on give us a decent service Virgin you complete Bstards.

I phoned them up to have a whinge and they basically dont give a crap and will only knock about a fiver off my TV bill a month. tossers.
Old 22-10-2007 | 04:05 PM
dumped

Yes I did worry it might be a case of this. I am more P'd because it is advertised in my accomodation stuff as "high speed 24/7", influenced my decision and quite clearly is CRAP!

how hum will just complain like a trooper i guess!