General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Online Gaming Sites

Search this Thread

Old 18-10-2007, 12:30 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online Gaming Sites

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the online gaming sites (888.com and the like) I have been asked to try them through work to find out what the attraction is and I won £500 for a £10 stake (now i know what the attraction is lol) has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? Obviously I don't want to know how much you gamble or how often but am just looking for feedback either way.

Debs
Old 18-10-2007, 12:34 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Step away from the keyboard
Old 18-10-2007, 12:57 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

I know I know, I went on purely for research, I can see how people become hooked though, I didn't even mind if I had lost, I was playing with works money lol. I know how bad gambling can be, I see it all day everyday in our shops. I just wondered how many people would use these sites rather than doing what I think of as "real" gambling, going to the betting shop and playing there,or backing horses, dogs or sports.

Debs
Old 18-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

now put you 500 on red and you'll have 1k

Old 18-10-2007, 01:07 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

As a serious reply to you....... yes, I use them a lot.

I play a LOT of online poker and some sports spreads, so I use gaming sites a lot.

The benefit of sites like Betfair is obvious because of the attraction of the options for your odds, and the occassional option of arbitrage to hedge against the regular fixed places. I know one guy who makesa a living purely from doing that!

I steer clear of stuff like online fruit machines, bingo etc, as I never like putting my money in as an underdog, even if you're only talking about 2% margin.

The attraction is fairly simple though - quick, easy access gambling, with none of the stigma, and none of the apprehension. It's no surprise that as a percentage increase, women represent the largest influx to online gaming.......... since stuff like entering a bookies can be either a daunting or unpleasant experience.
Old 18-10-2007, 01:16 PM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

I played 888 every weekend when it first started and seemed to be winning most weeks, once I put $25 on number 25 by accident because I forgot to move my chip pointer and it won LOL!!! that night I cleared over $3000 from a $200 stake

the site would only let me put so much back onto my card and I selected payment by cheque for the balance, this cheque took about 10 weeks to find its way to me and little did I know that because it was over a specific amount my bank then had to send the cheque back to the states to cash it or something like that anyway took a bloody long time to get the cash

the site then seemed to take the pish about the time the gambling laws in the states changed almost as if the online gambling sites realised they were on borrowed time and were determined to extract as much cash as possible

I haven't played now for well over year or so and wouldn't too be honest as I play online poker now instead.

as for winning losing, even with my big win I definately didn't make any money I believe I was about even
Old 18-10-2007, 04:46 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Matt J
took me ages to find a site that let me do the red/black doubling up trick
Trick?
Old 18-10-2007, 04:50 PM
S2martin
Ex Full Price gold member

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Trick?
I "think" it is the put £1 on red if it loses put £2 on red if it loses put £4 on red etc?
Old 18-10-2007, 04:52 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if there was a site that let you play poker or roulette with just pretend money i'd be up for that

but fook playing with my own money, i don't even do the lottery because i'm not a gambling man
Old 18-10-2007, 05:01 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by Fil
now put you 500 on red and you'll have 1k

I put 500 in the bank and thats it done lol.

Debs
Old 18-10-2007, 05:06 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

As a serious reply to you....... yes, I use them a lot.

I play a LOT of online poker and some sports spreads, so I use gaming sites a lot.

The benefit of sites like Betfair is obvious because of the attraction of the options for your odds, and the occassional option of arbitrage to hedge against the regular fixed places. I know one guy who makesa a living purely from doing that!

I steer clear of stuff like online fruit machines, bingo etc, as I never like putting my money in as an underdog, even if you're only talking about 2% margin.

The attraction is fairly simple though - quick, easy access gambling, with none of the stigma, and none of the apprehension. It's no surprise that as a percentage increase, women represent the largest influx to online gaming.......... since stuff like entering a bookies can be either a daunting or unpleasant experience.
I know what you are saying about the bookies but our shops in particular have all been refurbished to give a more customer friendly environment, we are trying to get rid of the stigma attached to gambling, even people that only play the numbers games (we have a lot of lady customers) act all sheepish when they go in. I guess with the online games, it is private and nobody knows how much you are winning or losing.

Debs

Debs
Old 18-10-2007, 05:11 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by S2martin
Trick?
I "think" it is the put £1 on red if it loses put £2 on red if it loses put £4 on red etc?
I know what it is, but it's not much of a trick.

It's a simple mathematical progression but it's flawed.

Tables have limits, specifically to stop that kind of action, so that someone with an unlimited bankroll can't break the table. The wheel also has 0 and now 00, so that the house has the edge. It's not a straight 50/50 shot, so with that and the table limit in place, long term, it's a -EV method.
Old 18-10-2007, 05:25 PM
S2martin
Ex Full Price gold member

Originally Posted by S2martin
Trick?
I know what it is, but it's not much of a trick.

It's a simple mathematical progression but it's flawed.

Tables have limits, specifically to stop that kind of action, so that someone with an unlimited bankroll can't break the table. The wheel also has 0 and now 00, so that the house has the edge. It's not a straight 50/50 shot, so with that and the table limit in place, long term, it's a -EV method.
I never thought of it as a trick either but there you go lol..

Oh as a side note I got the books you told me about (if you remember telling me ) and very good reading especially at the end of chapters where Harrington plays out examples etc

Mart
Old 18-10-2007, 05:29 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I do remember. Good man! Stick with it, as Harrington will mess with the way you play for a while, but when it comes good.......