General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Should motorsport talk about a different race

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should motorsport talk about a different race

Personally I have no problem with racist comments even when they are directed at myself or my nationality and am a firm believer in the freedom of speech. I personally feel it is wrong to restrict other peoples views based on the possibility of offending another. I take people as I find them and am convinced ignorance and hate can be found in all cultures and races as can decent people.
However im not certain on how I view the comments made by Carlos Gracia recently as an Englishman, im most certainly not offended by them and feel that it relects poorly on his nation rather than mine. The following statement is the latest update on this comment.

The head of Spanish motor sport Carlos Gracia has moved to distance himself from a controversial polemic he made which was published in the Spanish newspaper El Publico. He was quoted as saying: ""It is perfectly normal for a British team and British fans wanting to succeed in F1, but it is ironic that the racists in England are having to rely on a coloured pilot."
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...805188,00.html

I do however think this 'statement' brings up an interesting point about race. Lewis Hamiltion for example is being refered to as a the first black formula 1 driver and a role model for black children however Lewis Hamilton is actually mixed race, why is it not being suggested that he is a role model for mixed race children or white children even.
Are we judged and described by what is seen with the eyes rather than solid facts today.

Just interested in how you view comments regarding race in motorsport, do the comments made by Carlos Gracia offend you, do you consider it wrong that Lewis is described so often by his visual colour rather than tallent, does it matter as you never hear David Couthard being described as the white scottish..

Whats your views ?
Old 17-10-2007, 12:20 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

not totally on topic, but i do believe that hamilton has been given the opportunities that he has had partly because of his colour. it would do the sport no harm, particularly in USA to have a 'black' world champion, and i'm sure that would equally help the sponsorship of the mcclaren team

i don't quite get what you are getting at? are you saying that he is a cunt for basically calling all british people racist?
Old 17-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i don't quite get what you are getting at? are you saying that he is a cunt for basically calling all british people racist?
Im not but my mate is seriously offended by the comment made by Carlos Gracia and the suggestion that as an white Englishman he is racist. This followed onto a debate about why Lewis is refered to so much by his colour rather than his nationality as no other driver is refered to a white.

I was just curious if anyone other than my mate was offended by the comments and how they think Lewis colour effects him in F1.

He said if I posted the question on a forum it would show how un-patriotic I am as everyone else would be offended.
Old 17-10-2007, 12:35 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i get you now

who cares what a greasy spaniard thinks of us? i don't. being generalised by someone that has not met me personally does not bother me - personal relationships formed by individuals are all that matter
Old 17-10-2007, 12:39 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good topic actually, as I think the point Gracia made is being misinterpreted.

From how I read it, and backed up by what he has said since, Gracia was not being racist, but pointing out that England has a racist culture.

Somewhat ironic bearing in mind that Spain is about 30 years behind us, what with their monkey chants on the football terraces etc.

This comment is certainly not in the same league as the Arragones remark, but should we be offended? I don't really know.....
Old 17-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm offended by the spanish tosser.
What an ass hole.
The cheek , when eta (or whatever they are called) want to blow tourists up.
Old 17-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

If you look back far enough, you'll discover that EVERYONE in Britain, Europe, America THE WORLD is mixed race...

As we all came from the same fucking place
Old 17-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Rab
If you look back far enough, you'll discover that EVERYONE in Britain, Europe, America THE WORLD is mixed race...

Mars
Old 17-10-2007, 02:07 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Being generalised by someone that has not met me personally does not bother me - personal relationships formed by individuals are all that matter

I'm not offended, I don't give a fuck what he thinks.
Old 17-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by Stavros
Originally Posted by Rab

Mars
Don't be daft Stav..... It's blatantly Saturn.