General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fao painters

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2007, 08:22 PM
lardypants
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fao painters

ok so ive been learning a few years now and paint a fair bit from my workshop, nothing mental but its clean and do get good results after flatted etc

just wondering how you mix your clearcoats etc

ie at the mo its still warm and i havent got any heat (wil have soon)

i still tend to mix up a little bit less activator than i was told and a dash more thinners, was allways told 2/1 on the activator and 10% thinners, so if mixed 300 ml solid/clear id put 150ml activator and a dash thinners, terrible i know but i still use norma std thinners even on clearcoats would 2k thinners make that much difference?

im using fast not extra fast activator at the mo

its just that lately ive noticed the finish not as good, doesnt matter too much as a good flat with 1500 allways makes em nice but just wondering

i also have changed my gti i used to have the red monza one but got stolen so bought one from fleabay its a std one with 1.4mm tip did my last one have a 1.3? i remember it had a 110 aircap?

i allways dust on a light coat wait for a good 5 then put another on then a fag and one final coat, should that one be mixed diff ie more thinners?

so ok whats going on as in some spots i do get a tad orange peely as i say not bothered as it allways flats but the betetr finish i get naturally the less flatting i have to do

so im asking for help on getting that good clearcoat finish any advice greatfull even down to gun setting up as you can tell i class myself as a novice but have been painting on or off for a couple years, bonnets are my pet fookin hate ive had to do a few big cars lately and i allways flash down the wingtops hence geting pissed with flatting lol

i did put some 1500 pads on the orby for a dry flat found it helpfull but not quite strong enough can you use 1200s?

only on a big panel liek the merc bonnet i done last week, i do finish with soapy water and a blocked 1500 grit
Old 22-09-2007, 09:29 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's generally down to what your used to using mate. I use a 1.3mm tip with a 110 air cap.

When you say the finish is not as good lately, how exactly do you mean? As in it doesn't flow as nice? If so that could be down to the change in gun/setup (if it's happened since then) It may take some getting used to, i used a different gun to paint a mates car and i ended up having to flat it.

Keep using it and see how you get on, as long as the jobs are at a standard where they will polish at least it's not too bad
Old 26-09-2007, 08:07 AM
lardypants
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmn maybe its more of the flat panels like bonnets and roofs that end up slightly orange peely, the sides come out pretty well to be honest, i do fully panel wipe the panels and have two filters on the air line just wondering if theres more of a technique that will help or mixing etc