General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Windscreen rubber came loose,what do you use to reseal it ?

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2007, 07:51 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Windscreen rubber came loose,what do you use to reseal it ?

Don't say fookin superglue.
Old 20-09-2007, 07:56 PM
djmillsy
Fife Radge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black mastek
Old 20-09-2007, 07:59 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Whats that,like silicone ?
Old 20-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Bungle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tiger seal
Old 20-09-2007, 08:19 PM
djmillsy
Fife Radge

yep that or use sikaflex you cant beat that mate
Old 20-09-2007, 08:26 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

i recently had a prob with my windscreen seal mate...

i got auto to glass to come and fix it.

Not sure what they used but they couldnt get a replacement from ford anymore suprsie suprise.
Old 20-09-2007, 08:27 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

dont stick it with anything solid as it will get wrecked if you need to replace screen in future,just use sillycunt
Old 21-09-2007, 06:19 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Thanks all .
Old 21-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

First off, it's not a seal - just a trim. It has no water-proof properties at all, it is purely decorative.

Next up, you souldn't need to stick it on at all. If you do, then one of two things - either it's fucked (torn/split/etc) or your screen is badly fitted and not holding it in place.

If you do decide to stick it in place, as col cos1 said, it's gonna make a right mess when you need to get the screen replaced next time round, so be VERY carefull. Only use silicone, and only use a very fine thin bead so it can be rubbed off the body when your next having a screen fitted. And take into consideration that you WILL need a new trim when you get a screen replaced....

The ammount of times I have gone out to change someone screen, not nesacarily a Sierra, and found a trim siliconed in - and it just makes it such a pain to try and clean up to refit. Half the time the finished result just looks plain shit!
Old 21-09-2007, 08:52 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
First off, it's not a seal - just a trim. It has no water-proof properties at all, it is purely decorative.

Next up, you souldn't need to stick it on at all. If you do, then one of two things - either it's fucked (torn/split/etc) or your screen is badly fitted and not holding it in place.

If you do decide to stick it in place, as col cos1 said, it's gonna make a right mess when you need to get the screen replaced next time round, so be VERY carefull. Only use silicone, and only use a very fine thin bead so it can be rubbed off the body when your next having a screen fitted. And take into consideration that you WILL need a new trim when you get a screen replaced....

The ammount of times I have gone out to change someone screen, not nesacarily a Sierra, and found a trim siliconed in - and it just makes it such a pain to try and clean up to refit. Half the time the finished result just looks plain shit!
Absolutely totall agree 100%
"sticking" it in should be a last resort, it's purely a cosmetic trim that's supposed to clip round the edge of the glass and get trapped between glass and metalwork.
I've had to deal with the aftermath of a "stuck in" trim and it's a right royal arse, indeed really you will be throwing it away if it needs to come off.
As thrush said, if it's coming out it's because it's broken, stretched or not trapped properly by the glass.
Old 21-09-2007, 03:58 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

It was removed when the front end got painted and now when i do over 90 mph the right hand side bit pops out.
Old 21-09-2007, 06:27 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Thrush

thats what i said not just in so many words