General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO The Londoners.....need some help

Search this Thread

Old 17-09-2007, 05:01 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FAO The Londoners.....need some help

OK you lot, i am bringing my good lady to your big city in a few weeks and i need some advice

1-I will be arriving at Marylebone station but i need to get to Kensington Hilton....is this a simple task??

2-Is kensington Hilton far from the westend as we are going to see We Will ROCK You at the theatre?

3,How far is the hotel from things like the london eye and madam tussards ect????

4, Nights out.....where are good pubs/clubs to go with the missus for a drink and a bit of nightlife??

Basically we are coming for the weekend and want to do the whole London weekend thing......but i am shit at getting about places that i dont know
Old 17-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just go everywhere by Tube, its the only transport in london that works IME!
Old 17-09-2007, 05:05 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Chip

I have only ever been on the tube once and got completly lost....

Me and the tube dont go well together....but tbh once i have worked out how to use it then i guess i would be ok
Old 17-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what the problem is, its just a few lines

Old 17-09-2007, 05:09 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you like queen you will LOVE the show!

& get a hand held map of the tube routes and stop being a big girl!!
Old 17-09-2007, 05:10 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk

CUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See what i mean though.....what a fucking maze
Old 17-09-2007, 05:16 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Right tiff lets see if i can help

Point 1- no fucking idea

Point 2- The dominion theatre your going to is right opposite Tottenham Court Road, you can get off here on the central line

Point 3- Not sure on distance mate, but get off at westminster for the eye as its just on the opposite side of the river, also you can swear at the govenment as you walk round the house of commons and also laugh at the soap dodging protesters on the green

Madam tussards is just on the corner by Baker Street tube station.

Point 4- How deep are your pockets?

HTH

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 17-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

If it wasn't you and your lady friend, Id offer my services! Im good on the tube
Old 17-09-2007, 05:19 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Tiff

CUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See what i mean though.....what a fucking maze
Hahaha

Dont worry mate, use the disrict or circle lines as your staying in kensington
Old 17-09-2007, 05:20 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

If it wasn't you and your lady friend, Id offer my services! Im good on the tube
Or is that with LUBE???
Old 17-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Either
Old 17-09-2007, 05:44 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Looks like i have got to try the tube then
Old 17-09-2007, 05:48 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Tube is the easiest way, just take a map, take you time and dont panic and rush onto a tube going the wrong direction

In terms of nightlife, theres obviosuly a lot to do depending on what you want really.
Old 17-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Tiff - everywhere in Central London is so close mate, people from Ooop North don't realise that. Get a black cab wherever you want to go. Easiest way mate, by far if you're shite on the Tube or public transport. Where you are is pissing distance from wherever you want to go.
Old 17-09-2007, 06:02 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Tiff - everywhere in Central London is so close mate, people from Ooop North don't realise that. Get a black cab wherever you want to go. Easiest way mate, by far if you're shite on the Tube or public transport. Where you are is pissing distance from wherever you want to go.
Old 17-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Tube is a fucking piece of piss!

If you get lost just stay on and ask someone at the next station, hardly rocket science
Old 17-09-2007, 06:05 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

stay at home
Old 17-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by mattbibs
if you like queen you will LOVE the show!
I was disappointed, She's not in it
Old 18-09-2007, 09:06 AM
ivorbiggun
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If it is the 'Kensington' Hilton (bit like 'London' Luton Airport) and not the Olympia Hilton which because it's in Kensington High Street most people think
is the Kensington Hilton then you and your Mrs are in for some exercise.
Good luck. Incidentally Hilton are doing massive discounts (end of tourist season and they've big empty Hotels)at the mo why not stay at the
Hilton Trafalgar (right on the square) which is about as central as you can get
and is 6/7 mins walk from the Dominion where that show is on.
As for black cabs the 3 guy's I know who've got their Badge work 3 days a week and play golf the rest of the week/guess why?
Old 18-09-2007, 09:13 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Tiff- Just get black cabs mate so simple.
If you have problems with tubes (although i really dont know how) lol then cabs are the only option really.

All the sites and places to go are very close and could easily walk to a few of them if ya dont mind walking around.

and nightlife mate it really does depend on what sort of nightlife you are after?
Old 18-09-2007, 09:24 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i use the cabs when i go, its not that expensive, but if you lived there it would take the piss
Old 18-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Black cabs are ok, but are subject to traffic which the tube isnt.

Mind you, most of the clever fucks seem to find a way round it, which to me makes rocket science seem like GCSE physics by comparison
Old 18-09-2007, 09:38 AM
ivorbiggun

!. About £15 quid in a black car/watch how he'll 'find' traffic and how his
meter climbs whilst stationary.
Or tube it (three changes you're half way between Holland Park Ave and Shepherds Bush)about a fiver as Mayor Ken doesn't want you paying cash
and whacked prices up unless you have a 'Oyster Card'/don't ask.

2. 4.5 miles from the middle.The Dominion is right next to Tottenham Court Road tube. Not where Spurs play.

3. 6 miles to the Eye/Waterloo tube is slightly closer than Westminster
4 miles to Tussauds right next to Baker St Tube. Both these are slightly pants imho.

4. Nights out depends what you like but head for Covent Garden and you
won't go far wrong.
During the Day Breakfast at Claridges is a real experience/pricey but you've NEVER had anything like it/ffs don't wear jeans and trainers tho.
Tea at either Fortnum and Masons or Harrods she will love/Harrods almost
next door to Harvey Nicks again for her.
Remember it's a HUGE city which you could do something different every
day of your life if you lived here.
A little careful planning and you'll have a blast.
Old 18-09-2007, 09:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Re: FAO The Londoners.....need some help

Originally Posted by Tiff
OK you lot, i am bringing my good lady to your big city in a few weeks and i need some advice

1-I will be arriving at Marylebone station but i need to get to Kensington Hilton....is this a simple task??

2-Is kensington Hilton far from the westend as we are going to see We Will ROCK You at the theatre?

3,How far is the hotel from things like the london eye and madam tussards ect????

4, Nights out.....where are good pubs/clubs to go with the missus for a drink and a bit of nightlife??

Basically we are coming for the weekend and want to do the whole London weekend thing......but i am shit at getting about places that i dont know
get a weekend travelcard for you and one for the mrs and you won't have to pay anythign for public transport
DON'T get a cab to go everywhere, you'll be skint in hours

the hotel you will be staying at is in sheperds bush, as long as you stay on the hotel side of the roundabot you won't get stabbed/shot/mugged/ generally vadalised by the locals and it's a simple enough trip
walk out of the station, cross the road, head towards marble arch, then get a bus towards bush
it stops rightoutside the hotel

or you can be posh and get a cab, which is easier, but you'll get stiffed if he wants to drive you the "scenic" route, which is down the A40 when it's full of traffic
what time are you getting there? from getting into the cab to getting out of teh cab shouldn't be more than about 10 minutes if the traffic is light
don't base ANYTHING on the storys you hear about london traffic, it's ALWAYS worse than you would hope for so your 10 minute trip might take you an hour to cover the same 3 or 4 miles

if you come out of the hotel and do a right (DON'T FFS DO A LEFT SEE STABBING/SHOOTING/ETC ) and take a walk (or the bus up until marble arch at least because you'll miss the boring bits) you can take a elasurely stroll down oxford street for 30 or 40 minutes
the show is on right next to centre point, which is a big tall art deco style type of 60's towerblock thing at the junction of totenham court road, oxford street and charing cross road (walk down charring cross road to get to lecesreter square for your night life type thing)

madam tussards is right next to the station your getting off at, at the top of baker street, but in my onion it's very over rated and you spend more time in the queue to get in that you do walking abot the place, and with no plaentarium now, it's not worth the £30 or so admission

you should carry on walking down charris cross road when you get to lescererter sauare and it leads you onto trfalgar sqaure, and then yo walk a bit more and you will get up to buck house where the queen tends to stay for a bit, and everything is in easy view from there

it's a bit of a long trip on your feet, but it's so much eaiser to get around if you knwo the tube stations as it only takes minutes to get about the place

you want to learn the central line and the northern line, they are the only things you'll need to worry about, just don't get mugged on the tube, there are plenty of peole who still think it's oliver twist time
and don't give to tramps on teh street, especially those who live next to the cash point machines either

if you've never been to london before, it's an eyeopener, then again, you may miss everythg and wonder what all the fuss is about

but, in all seriousness, joking aside, just remember to stay the right side of the roundbaout, espicially after hours, london crooks won't think twice to stab/shoot you if they think you've got a few quid on you, and odn't go flashing your phone baout either, no one wants to be a have a go hero when the posibilities are that their families will be reading baout them being slain in the streets

keep your wits about you
Old 18-09-2007, 09:53 AM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what the fuck dojj think you watch to many films m8

tiff get the tube its not hard to work out where to get off

leicester aquer has sum nice clubs well thay was a few years back when i use to go out
Old 18-09-2007, 10:13 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

dojj- why the hell do you exagerate EVERYTHING sooooooooo much????????

London aint that bad at all.jesus you dont even live there? i Live in Central London and never bene robbed mugged or even had trouble in the street.

Black cabs aint that expensive and alot less hassle than changing 3/4 times on the tube. and it will make you skint if you have no money and someone who wants to stay in the Hilton aint gonna be a travel lodge regular are they lol.

Maybe Tiff could hire one of your wrestling buddies as a body guard so he dont get mugged
Old 18-09-2007, 10:21 AM
bookwyse

Kensington Hilton is a very good hotel and not that far from the tubes. We stayed there for two nights between Xmas and New Year as the start of our honeymonn and spookily went to see We Will Rock You as Clare is A HUGE Queen fan.

You will not be disappointed with either the hotel or the show.

Jeff
Old 18-09-2007, 10:22 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by DanCossie
dojj- why the hell do you exagerate EVERYTHING sooooooooo much????????

London aint that bad at all.jesus you dont even live there? i Live in Central London and never bene robbed mugged or even had trouble in the street.
Totally agree. I was going to school in Central London when I was 11 during the height of the IRA attacks, and it wasn't even bad then!

London is in reality no worse than any other major town or city.

Tiff - just tube it everywhere - so much easier than cabbing it. Why would you want to sit stationary for 5 mins on Oxford street in a cab for £15, when you can just walk or tube it. Just get a daily pass if you intend to move around a lot, and phone me if you get lost.
Old 18-09-2007, 11:50 AM
dojj

you obviously don't live or travel through shepards bush of an evening very much then

how many peole actually live and work in the city of london then that post here? and how many of you just "pass through" every few years?

once you've gotten off the beaten track it's a very different world, even a few streets away from the limelight and sometiems even in the limelight

why do you think there are cctv camera's on every corner and on every bus? they ain't there to catch osama, they are there to catch the little fookers who want to rob you and stab you and shoot you just to look good in front of their mates

if you think it's all nice and comfy and all toytown then you need to think again

i wonder how many times he'll be asked "minicab mr?" as he wanders out of the theatre/club

then again, i may be biased because i've been a minicab driver in london and know what sorts of misfits and deviants are lurking in the shadows
Old 18-09-2007, 11:51 AM
dojj

but yes, get the tube, only werewolves and 1940's exerimental beings to worry about then
Old 18-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The biggest mistake people make in the city is thinking they need to use tube/bus/taxi to get everywhere.

Things are actually closer than you think and you can actually spend less time by walking to them, some quick examples:

Waterloo to the London Eye - 10 min walk.

Waterloo to Westminister - < 15 min walk.

Waterloo to London Bridge - < 15 min walk.

So get an A-Z and actually look at where your going and use my examples above to give you an idea of walking distance between two places.

Also don't be a total cunt and get a cab - very expensive, cost me £15 from waterloo to king cross on sunday. Use cab at night or if your proper sensible use the fucking night bus for a £1 to go anywhere!
Old 18-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Being a northerner now living in London, got to agree with Dann, you dont realise how close things are to each other.

When i first came down here we went into central London for a day out (we live 10 miles outside of central london) and we walked to most places we went.

When on the tube we got a 1 day travelcard, think they about £7 but you can go near enough everywhere you need to with it.

Are you going to go on London Eye ? As one thing that we did to cause less hassle when we got there was book the tickets online.

Kensington is nice, I'm there quite a bit as Dave works in Kensington High Street, very close to Knightsbridge ( Can take your lady shopping )
Old 18-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Sooty
Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Being a northerner now living in London, got to agree with Dann, you dont realise how close things are to each other.

When i first came down here we went into central London for a day out (we live 10 miles outside of central london) and we walked to most places we went.

When on the tube we got a 1 day travelcard, think they about £7 but you can go near enough everywhere you need to with it.

Are you going to go on London Eye ? As one thing that we did to cause less hassle when we got there was book the tickets online.

Kensington is nice, I'm there quite a bit as Dave works in Kensington High Street, very close to Knightsbridge ( Can take your lady shopping )
£6.70 straight or £6.20 on Oyster the last time i looked
I was not far off then
Old 18-09-2007, 02:45 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Dojj you are full of shit mate.......i have been a bouncer in london for a few years and come out of the clubs at like 3am and got the night bus home quite often aswell as going clubbin in town EVERY weekend for the past 4 years.......and drink in town about 2times a week. so yes i think i can comment on london to be honest.

and if you get off the beaten track anywhere your gonna have trouble arent you?

and you get asked if ya want an illegal cab home all over the country ffs you come out with shit

get back to watchin ya wresting freaks and stop trying to put a downer on someone having a good time in london.

Quick Reply: FAO The Londoners.....need some help