General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Vets! Robbin' b'stds!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vets! Robbin' b'stds!

The prices Vets charge for tablets/medications. Robbin' b'stds!

I buy a lot of stuff online for my dog from PET DRUGS ONLINE, like wormers, flea treatments etc and also a prescription Anti-inflammatory for hip dysplasia which isn't covered by our pet insurance. If I get it from the vet it costs £40.00 for 100ml, online I get it for £23.00 delivered.

Currently our dog needs a course of antibiotics for a re-occuring skin problem, this is covered by our pet insurance, so I've not really compared prices as the ins pays..... we collected a 100 tabs this morning from the vets and the price was a whopping £127.30 so I've just looked on Pet Drugs Online and a 100 tabs from them are £66.00 .... unfuckingbelievable!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i use these people same sort of thing http://www.petmeds.co.uk/

used manily to get the frontline
Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by ** T **

Just had a browse on there the ABs are a £1 dearer than Pet Drugs Online but the Anti-inflammatory is 30p cheaper than I currently pay. I notice that the prices don't include delivery though, whereas PDO prices do.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redkop

Just had a browse on there the ABs are a £1 dearer than Pet Drugs Online but the Anti-inflammatory is 30p cheaper than I currently pay. I notice that the prices don't include delivery though, whereas PDO prices do.
the frontline is free delivery

and with the other bits i just add to basket to check the postage i need get few bits so im going have a look on both
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Redkop

some stuff is free delivery
I guess the delivery charge applied on there was because they are prescription drugs.

Still a very good place to deal with anyway especially after what Vets charge.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad was a doctor and he used to say that vets were smarter than him because they needed to know how loads of different kinds of bodies worked and their patients couldn't describe their symptoms.

The prices they are charging for meds etc go some way to paying for 7 years university education to tell you what drugs your dog needed in the first place.

The cheap online places can't offer any diagnosis etc, so if they end up taking all the drug business away from the vets, just watch the consultation and treatment fees (and insurance premiums) go up.

It's kind of like telling a skilled coachbuilder that he can't possibly charge that much for hitting the wing of your car with a hammer!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:12 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
My dad was a doctor and he used to say that vets were smarter than him because they needed to know how loads of different kinds of bodies worked and their patients couldn't describe their symptoms.

The prices they are charging for meds etc go some way to paying for 7 years university education to tell you what drugs your dog needed in the first place.

The cheap online places can't offer any diagnosis etc, so if they end up taking all the drug business away from the vets, just watch the consultation and treatment fees (and insurance premiums) go up.

It's kind of like telling a skilled coachbuilder that he can't possibly charge that much for hitting the wing of your car with a hammer!
Thats exactly right mate, your paying for the service/diagnosis that the vet provides.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get mine online as well as the prices Vets charge is way over the top. No wonder mine is driving around in a Cayenne
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Redkop

I think £27:00 just for a 5 - 10 minute consultation fee is plenty adequate to 'go some way to paying for their 7 yr university education' - don't you?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:46 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think £27:00 just for a 5 - 10 minute consultation fee is plenty adequate to 'go some way to paying for their 7 yr university education' - don't you?
Very good point, so the diagnosis/service is actually in that fee and not added on to the medication, so yes it is a rip off.

Saying that, its like any business that supply the parts after a diagnosis. They make money on the diagnosis/labour AND the parts. You can always get parts cheaper online and fit them yourself, which is exactly what your doing in theory, so its not just vets, its all businesses as thats what their in business for at the end of the day.

Thinking about it and based on the above £27 consultation fee, vets must be loaded!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never said vets are poor (neither are dentists, doctors, accountants, opticians, property developers, etc etc)

The fact is that all these people have skills and knowledge that the rest of us don't. They offer us their services at a price and we can choose whether or not to buy them.

But we shouldn't complain if we choose to buy cheaper elsewhere and, as a result, they don't hang around - leaving us with no cover as has happened with so many local petrol stations, car dealerships etc.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Redkop

I never said vets are poor (neither are dentists, doctors, accountants, opticians, property developers, etc etc)

The fact is that all these people have skills and knowledge that the rest of us don't. They offer us their services at a price and we can choose whether or not to buy them.

But we shouldn't complain if we choose to buy cheaper elsewhere and, as a result, they don't hang around - leaving us with no cover as has happened with so many local petrol stations, car dealerships etc.
It's hardly surprising pet ins prices have risen when they have to pay out the hugely inflated prices Vets charge for medication, makes you wonder if Vets charge you more, because they know your pet is insured..... I wouldn't be surprised if they did.