General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

a techy ? arising from the als post

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default a techy ? arising from the als post

forgive me if i'm talking bollocks, but how does this stack up in theory:

you have turbo's that will flow enough to make x amount of power right? heard this phrase bandied about alot and i think it's fair to say that it's fairly true to say x turbo will give you x amount of power and y will make y amount of power etc

and it's also true that certain turbos will make their power "eariler" than others in the rev range

so, is it fair to say that als is almost like getting a smaller turbo type "quicker" spin up from a bigger turbo?

and, if that's along the correct sort of mechanicals, how does porting the head affect als?
or doesn't it?
does a "hotter" cam also make a difference?

the thinking behind this is that if you have your "normal" head which flows, for example, 100 bits of flow and you fiddle with it to get it to flow of 150, how useable is this exta 50 flows without using the correct cam/followers and all that malarkey in the valve train?

if you were to take back to back readings (datalogging from mikes point of view) from a "normal" head and fitted with the same spec of everything with the anti lag and a "flowed" head with the same gubbins, would you be able to see more gains form the als, assuming everything else was able to stay the same?

i know this probablly won't work as a back to back test because you would have to map your engines differently based on the flow etc, but does it make as much difference to a blown engine as it would make to a n/a engine?

again, the thinking behind that is that normally you would use a softer cam with a turbo aplication of the same engine (from what i've read back in the day you don't need that much air flow as you would on a n/a engine as it's not sucking it in)

it makes sense in my head but how does it work in the real world?
or is this what happens anyway and i've just stumbled across it thinking "eureka!" while everyone else has been doing it for centuries
Old 03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
xr4man
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this probably won't answer your question, but sort of in the same ballpark.

on my merkur runninga t3/t4 turbo (unknown trim) with the stock ecu, i would make 15 psi of boost at 4500 rpm. then only changing the ecu to a thunderbird ecu (has much more aggressive timing maps) with everything else remaining the same, the turbo now spools to 15psi at just over 3200 rpm. so with just that swap i gained an extra 1300 rpm of full boost.

hope that helps you in some way.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:03 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

is it the same engine in the thunderbird then?
or is that the name of the ecu?