General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Views on bankruptcy...

Search this Thread

Old 19-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosworth Rallyesport
there is work out there for anyone with depts,if your stupid enough to get your self in the shit financially then you should sort it out like a man,if it means getting an extra job and grafting for a few years then so be it,opting out and taking the pussies option is a no go in my book,these iva's etc are legalised theft,think of the poor bloke trying to run a business etc that your iresponsible actions are going to affect,live of beans and toast and stop wasting money but get your depts paid the honest way,nothing else is fair or decent.if your prepared to do the crime,make damn well sure you can serve the time, £15k could be paid off in 24-36 months with abit of hard work.its nothing.
Unless he has a health problem or something else serious then I totally agree. I hate people that walk away from debt...
Old 19-07-2007, 08:39 AM
wayne thomas
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
a bloke on 20k a year should not be allowed MORE than 2k worth of credit and not allowed a morgage for more than 40% of his salary

giving people 5 times there salary to get a morgage is fucking stupid and should not be allowed
The 5x bit I agree with, but the 40% bit? Not too many houses on the market @ 8k.
Old 19-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i think a lot of peoples views on bankruptcy are so interesting, Smit half of the facts you have stated are totally incorrect, and im speaking from experience so i know

Bankruptcy is a last resort, and tbh, it aint half as bad as people seem to think, it doesnt totally fuck your life up, in the majority of cases where people have been in so much debt they are severely depressed and cant get out of it, its like a weight has been lifted and is a fresh start to do things the right way round

if he cant afford his debts and has no equity then id say to do it, if you need any more info though pm me
Old 19-07-2007, 09:11 AM
AndyBlackFRST
Advanced PassionFord User

I used Payplan (www.payplan.co.uk)

They dealt with my 15k of debt and helped make arrangments with the people I owed money to.. I then paid it all off which is a much better feeling
Old 19-07-2007, 10:12 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

i circulated a lump sum around creditors to gain their trust.

i then in total, including cards and personal, unsecured loans withdrew £45k in pound notes.

then went bankrupt.

thing is, it takes meticulous planning as you get an interview afterwards.

i was in business, and had to transfer it all months before i went pop, also had to hide assets, attend councelling saying how depressed i was, i had to reshuffle direct debits etc

a lot, LOT of hassle, but i worked the system, i didnt do it because i couldnt pay big debt.

im 2 months away from being a 'discharged' bankrupt, which gives me more freedom. there are banks who will give you bank accounts during bankruptcy so it's not ENTIRELY inconvenient. im changing my name slightly in 6 months and buying a house. i will then get a couple of things on credit to build up my history again, the name/address change will mask my 'colourfull' history.

in my opinion, i wouldnt do it again (id possibly go to prison if i did!) i would ring the debt helpline and contact the creditors and bring the payments down. it is SO much hassle to go pop, it's not a case of just writing off debt and not being able to get credit for a couple of years, you have to know what your doing, i have a couple of asian mates who push the 'boundaries' of the law, so i knew how to do it properly, without this knowledge i'd be in such a shit position now, with no assets and certainly not the 2 businesses i have now.

dont do it. plus, your name goes in the local paper.

DONT contact any "we can write off 90% of your debt!" that advertise on the radio etc...they will charge you £40-50 a month for the privellege of a couple of letters at the start of the 'agreement'. contact the free debt helpline, they will advise you on what to so. YOU can contact creditors direct and say "im going through a bad patch i will pay you £10 a month for the nest 9 months" etc...thats all these other companies do, apart from the fact they charge you £40-50 for doing so, when that £40-50 could go towards what you owe.
Old 19-07-2007, 12:38 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Views on bankruptcy...

Originally Posted by staffi
Originally Posted by Garage19
Originally Posted by The Sludge

I have a mate of mine....
Heard that one before

especially when his Saff is in the for sale forum... come on Sludge, own up..
Behave yaself Deffo NOT me i can asssure ya. Only reason my car is for sale is to get a house to live in after my relationship split.

Lucid> in terms of where he is, I honestly dont know. i think its a case he has overborrowed, he cant afford to go out due to massive payments and sees this as a way out, i dunno.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
It's a tricky situation to be in, there could be many different reason's as to why is 15k in debt, so let's not all judge before we know the facts eh ?

Bankrupty would be the extreme last resort, and as said, anything on finance will be taken back, houses, car's etc. etc. There will be a period of 6 - 9 years without being able to get credit / mortgage, and it's possible it could hurt getting a mortgage further down the line as well.

Best to speak to someone in the know about financial stuff really, bank manager or CAB for help.
such words of wisdom
Old 19-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by foreverwhite

im 2 months away from being a 'discharged' bankrupt, which gives me more freedom. there are banks who will give you bank accounts during bankruptcy so it's not ENTIRELY inconvenient..
i got discharge letter yesterday
Old 19-07-2007, 04:06 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Originally Posted by costina
The reasons are unimportant if u owe money you should pay it back,there are too many people playing the system and in the end its the working class who suffer IMO
That's a VERY blinkered opinion mate and sometimes you should think before making such outlandish statements?

What if somone borrows in good faith and knows they can pay it back from their present wage, then out of the blue they lose their job? They are then facing court etc and I'll tell you what the stress can destroy people. It's not always a case of someone borrowing money then suddenly realising they have gone overboard so fuck it let's fuck off the credit companies.
Old 19-07-2007, 06:33 PM
CRABBY
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i know of someone who has recently gone bankrupt and hes told he will be discharged by this xmas!!!!

I know where we are the courts dont look kindly on people who go bankrupt for less than £18k

At the end of the day you need to seek proper advise before doing anything and wiegh up all your options
Old 19-07-2007, 07:17 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreverwhite
i circulated a lump sum around creditors to gain their trust.

i then in total, including cards and personal, unsecured loans withdrew £45k in pound notes.

then went bankrupt.

thing is, it takes meticulous planning as you get an interview afterwards.

i was in business, and had to transfer it all months before i went pop, also had to hide assets, attend councelling saying how depressed i was, i had to reshuffle direct debits etc

a lot, LOT of hassle, but i worked the system, i didnt do it because i couldnt pay big debt.

im 2 months away from being a 'discharged' bankrupt, which gives me more freedom. there are banks who will give you bank accounts during bankruptcy so it's not ENTIRELY inconvenient. im changing my name slightly in 6 months and buying a house. i will then get a couple of things on credit to build up my history again, the name/address change will mask my 'colourfull' history.

in my opinion, i wouldnt do it again (id possibly go to prison if i did!) i would ring the debt helpline and contact the creditors and bring the payments down. it is SO much hassle to go pop, it's not a case of just writing off debt and not being able to get credit for a couple of years, you have to know what your doing, i have a couple of asian mates who push the 'boundaries' of the law, so i knew how to do it properly, without this knowledge i'd be in such a shit position now, with no assets and certainly not the 2 businesses i have now.

dont do it. plus, your name goes in the local paper.

DONT contact any "we can write off 90% of your debt!" that advertise on the radio etc...they will charge you £40-50 a month for the privellege of a couple of letters at the start of the 'agreement'. contact the free debt helpline, they will advise you on what to so. YOU can contact creditors direct and say "im going through a bad patch i will pay you £10 a month for the nest 9 months" etc...thats all these other companies do, apart from the fact they charge you £40-50 for doing so, when that £40-50 could go towards what you owe.
Unbelivable
Old 20-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by CRABBY
i know of someone who has recently gone bankrupt and hes told he will be discharged by this xmas!!!!

I know where we are the courts dont look kindly on people who go bankrupt for less than £18k

At the end of the day you need to seek proper advise before doing anything and wiegh up all your options
i went bankrupt november and have just been discharged, and i had 18k of debt

and was never in any money bother, perfect credit rating til i was finished from work for medical reason, had no income and a lot of outgoings with absolutely no assets whatsoever

was the only way i could do anything about it